Laptop from US?

deathstone

Disciple
  • What's your Budget? 55-60k(can extend a bit if necessary)
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Gaming,Coding,Photoshop thats it...In short College student
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? Anything decent will do and i dont care if it is not very portable
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? detest Apple,but if they provide a very good laptop which falls in my budget,i dont mind.
  • Any other considerations? A back lit keyboard would be great but not necessary..I need a pc which can fullfil my needs for 2 yrs atleast.

Am a enginnering student who likes to game a LOT and i programme and design a bit..That might create a picture of me and my needs in your mind..

I have a cousin who lives in Miami and i was thinking of getting the laptop from US considering Laptops are cheaper there(I dont know much,but thats what i think).Am i wrong in thinking as such or is there atleast a little truth in this.Is the price difference negligible?
If the suggested laptop isnt available in miami,i was thinking of ordering it online and delivering it to the said Miami address and getting that Fed-Ex'ed/DHL'ed to me if the price difference is like 10-15k btwn american-Indian price.

I have another alternative,My aunt is in paris this week and she will be returning in a month or so,so how are the prices of computers in paris,big difference?So she can get it with herself when she comes,so no problem of courier or such..

I am going to keep the laptop in my hostel room most of the time when i am in college,so portability doesnt matter much to me and i will be using my old logitech g15 keyboard when i game,so i dont mind if the keyboard is small or something.Finger recongnition,or hd video cam doesnt matter to me,if it comes as a package i dont mind..A GOOD gfx card is a necessity for me

I have 2 months of summer vacations with me,so i can wait till my summer vacations get over to get it.So if a new laptop or a new configuration will be available in the next month or such,i dont mind waiting to get it.

Just ask if you guys need any more information

GET ALIENWARE DUDE m14 x will cost you 1100 $

But are Alienwares vfm?

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Sorry for posting twice,but i am new to this forum and couldnt find the Edit option for my post

The Base model for the m14x costs $1100,it comes with the i5,was a little disappointed here..Is alienware the best option available out there?

dude !!! :p .. you wanna get a laptop courired from US LOL .. go to shopandship/shopabroad and check the prices .. you'll either buy from here or wait for your cousin to come here .. 2 months of vacations .. dnot be in haste .. just wait for new configs !!!

My initial question was Is it worth going through all the trouble of getting a laptop from abroad?is the price difference appreciable?
And the US option seems to be getting expensive to courier it,i might have a few friends who will be coming back from there but i dont wanna ask them unless thats my last option available..What abt the paris option,any clues abt prices of laptops in france?

And are any new configs coming out within these 2 months?anything announced?

@deathstone Except for some thinkpads, mac books and some high end customizable laptops, there is hardly any difference in the cost laptops. At least not by 10-15k as you think.

Also, one suggestion from my side. If you really want a "gaming" laptop, don't get fooled for by the companies labeling their mainstream laptops as "gaming" laptop. Mate, frankly laptops are never meant for gaming, at least the mainstream/budget laptops are NOT. Idiots fall for them by flashy marketing, and apparently later complain about heating and other subsequent issues.

If you can game on warranty, then go for either Sager/Clevo lapotps, which give real VFM. Other options are MSI Gaming series (it can be had in India too, call MSI CC) and Asus Rog series.

My advice would be to get a good mainstream laptop and use it for all round purposes. It will serve you well if you use it well.

Have a look at Vaio CB45; I own it and fully satisfied with it. Its most VFM & balanced laptop in this price-bracket. Have a look at my review.

Last edited by a moderator:
The laptops sold in India which are not CTO (Customized to Order) are usually crappy pieces with low end LCD resolutions etc. For a true coder a high res LCD is a must and will typically have to be CTO. CTO is usually cheaper from the US. (You can go online and Configure). Sign up for Dell/ Lenovo/ HP Deals Mailing list. Special Coupons come through.

deathstone Except for some thinkpads, mac books and some high end customizable laptops, there is hardly any difference in the cost laptops. At least not by 10-15k as you think.

Also, one suggestion from my side. If you really want a "gaming" laptop, don't get fooled for by the companies labeling their mainstream laptops as "gaming" laptop. Mate, frankly laptops are never meant for gaming, at least the mainstream/budget laptops are NOT. Idiots fall for them by flashy marketing, and apparently later complain about heating and other subsequent issues.

If you can game on warranty, then go for either Sager/Clevo lapotps, which give real VFM. Other options are MSI Gaming series (it can be had in India too, call MSI CC) and Asus Rog series.

My advice would be to get a good mainstream laptop and use it for all round purposes. It will serve you well if you use it well.

Have a look at Vaio CB45; I own it and fully satisfied with it. Its most VFM & balanced laptop in this price-bracket. Have a look at my review.

The laptops sold in India which are not CTO (Customized to Order) are usually crappy pieces with low end LCD resolutions etc. For a true coder a high res LCD is a must and will typically have to be CTO. CTO is usually cheaper from the US. (You can go online and Configure). Sign up for Dell/ Lenovo/ HP Deals Mailing list. Special Coupons come through.
Ya i guess,they might start giving those Back to school offers soon

I did what you said and i was going through the websites of major laptop manufacturers and i was in for a surprise
HP are having a HUGE 'memorial day sale' with discounts upto 600$
Like everyone i was a lottle skeptical about the discounts but i checked out their offers and i loved it.I Absolutely Loved it.The offer is just too good to pass

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC | HP® Official Store

Its the "HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC" whose Base price is $1,149.99 but due to the memorial day discount,they are giving it at $849.99 with
- Free 8GB memory & 1TB hard drive upgrades ($150 value)
- Free Blu-ray drive ($75 value)
So am getting abt 525$ discount..

They allow us to customize the base model and i customized it a bit
This is the final product
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 1GB GDDR5 memory [HDMI, VGA]- Changed From NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]

FREE Upgrade to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
FREE Upgrade to 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
No additional security software

30% off 9 cell Lithium Ion Battery- changed from 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

15.6-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)- Changed from 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)

FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
HP TrueVision HD Webcam
802.11b/g/n WLAN
Standard Keyboard
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

After the customizing the price came to 1069$ but after browsing the site i came across a coupon code of a 100$ discount and the final price on the Checkout page is $969.99 which according to dollars2rupees.com at 2.46am says is equal to 53,949.78 Rupees

And damn thts a sweet deal..I checked out the HPindia website and found out almost the same laptop at 68,178 Rs..without the upgrades and the extra hdd and ram

HP Pavilion dv6-7000 Entertainment Notebook PC series

I have a few questions?IS THIS DEAL TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE? what are your thoughts guys and do u think if i am going to buy this laptop,i should upgrade the processor/gpu instead of 170$ on battery+monitor..the 2gb gpu can be got at an extra 50$ and the processor is abt 117$..

GUYS HURRY,LAST DATE FOR OFFER IS JUNE 2ND,SO 3 DAYS LEFT...

I did what you said and i was going through the websites of major laptop manufacturers and i was in for a surprise
HP are having a HUGE 'memorial day sale' with discounts upto 600$
Like everyone i was a lottle skeptical about the discounts but i checked out their offers and i loved it.I Absolutely Loved it.The offer is just too good to pass

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC | HP® Official Store

Its the "HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC" whose Base price is $1,149.99 but due to the memorial day discount,they are giving it at $849.99 with
- Free 8GB memory & 1TB hard drive upgrades ($150 value)
- Free Blu-ray drive ($75 value)
So am getting abt 525$ discount..

They allow us to customize the base model and i customized it a bit
This is the final product

After the customizing the price came to 1069$ but after browsing the site i came across a coupon code of a 100$ discount and the final price on the Checkout page is $969.99 which according to dollars2rupees.com at 2.46am says is equal to 53,949.78 Rupees

And damn thts a sweet deal..I checked out the HPindia website and found out almost the same laptop at 68,178 Rs..without the upgrades and the extra hdd and ram

HP Pavilion dv6-7000 Entertainment Notebook PC series

I have a few questions?IS THIS DEAL TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE? what are your thoughts guys and do u think if i am going to buy this laptop,i should upgrade the processor/gpu instead of 170$ on battery+monitor..the 2gb gpu can be got at an extra 50$ and the processor is abt 117$..

GUYS HURRY,LAST DATE FOR OFFER IS JUNE 2ND,SO 3 DAYS LEFT...

Asus K55VM-SX086D / 3rd Generation Core i7 / 8 GB / 1 TB / Free DOS: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

The only differences btwn the Asus and the HP laptop are..
1.NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 2GB DDR3 isntead of NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 1GB GDDR5 memory (I paid 50$ to customize this)

2.15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768) instead of 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)(I paid 150$ extra while customizing for this FULL HD screen :( )

3.0.3 Megapixel Camera instead of HP TrueVision HD Webcam (Doesnt matter much to me)

4.6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery instead of 9 cell Lithium Ion Battery(I paid 30$ at a 30% discounted price for this)

5.No windows out of the Box(I dont mind,i was anyways gonna put my own Windows 7 ultimate after i got the laptop)

Conclusion:-I paid 230$ extra to get the customized config which i have posted above,i could get the exact same config as the Asus for 850$ ie 47,641.23 Rs..but the customized config seems so much better..:( (full HD :drool:)

I havent completely fixed my mind to buy the laptop,Am open to suggestions..will there be a price drop in the next 2 motnhs? Will there be more student offers coming in junw-july..?And what do u think abt my pts?are they valid?

The DEALS you just saw is the reason why I always BUY laptops from the US. Have done so for 12 years now. I've even been responsible for some work for one of these computing biggies.

Back