Laptop lying around. Need suggestions on what to do with it.

red-devil

Disciple
So like the thread title says, I have a spare laptop which is pretty low config (less than 2 gigs of RAM and a low ass AMD processor, no dedicated graphics card, a few hundred GB HDD). It is currently running Ubuntu.
I want to make some use of it. The config is too low end to give it away to a cousin. I can donate it but I'm guessing people here have way better laptops with them anyways.

I want to see if it can be used for something. There were a few things that came to my mind:

1. Use it as a server and host some silly website off it
2. Make it function like a media server within the house where all my devices (other laptops, phones, ipads etc can access it and stream media off it, on wifi)

Is there any other use that it can be put to? What do you guys do with your old laptops?

Edit:

Mods: I don't know what section this can be put under. Please let it be around here for a bit.

^ I'm not so much into downloading stuff these days. Besides, I don't have time to watch whatever I've already downloaded :(

1. Use it as a server and host some silly website off it
2. Make it function like a media server within the house where all my devices (other laptops, phones, ipads etc can access it and stream media off it, on wifi)
You can do both.

@red-devil if you dont need it you can give it to me i can use it for seeding purpose.Might be a good alternative to raspberry pi :)
I am willing to pay for it even if u dont wanna giveaway.I will pay shipping charge too.

1. Seeding. Do good for the community of pirates.
2. BOINC. Do something for the welfare of science.
3. Vidalia. Help the Web become non-restricted.

You can do both.

Yes. I understand. I was looking at other uses too..

@red_devil I am willing to buy (or trade) if its good for 24x7 downloading purpose.

What parameters make it a good 24x7 download machine?

@red-devil if you dont need it you can give it to me i can use it for seeding purpose.Might be a good alternative to raspberry pi :)
I am willing to pay for it even if u dont wanna giveaway.I will pay shipping charge too.

Well, the laptop's with me here in the US. I don't know if it is worth the shipping+customs cost.

1. Seeding. Do good for the community of pirates.
2. BOINC. Do something for the welfare of science.
3. Vidalia. Help the Web become non-restricted.

BOINC thing sounds interesting. Let me look at it in detail.

Probably some weird combo of hosting a website+using it as a media server+BOINC or something might just do the trick ;-)

> Probably some weird combo of hosting a website+using it as a media server+BOINC or something might just do the trick ;-)

With this underpowered laptop, which you didn't knew what to do with ? You will need to visit your post again :)

Gave my spare laptop to mom and am very happy to see her learn things pretty quick.

Have my fingers crossed that she doesn't figure creating a FB account :p

My parents already have a desktop(my old machine) and a laptop for their use... They were asking me about the Facebook stuff but I managed to steer them clear of it for now..

(as I type it, I realize how sad it is)

Back