Laptop needed for MBA

Wakatta

Disciple
Didnot want to hijack the other guy's thread , so opening a new one. Would be my 1st laptop so need help guys.
My requirements -
1. Wifi , as entire campus is wifi enabled and every info is distributed through net
2. Heavy browsing
3. Watching Tv series, m-hd movies , animes
4. normal MBA stuff , notes , PPTS , etc.
Thats it pretty much , no gaming , or using CS4 , etc. Whats the best value for money laptop I can get , the cheaper the better. :hap2: Can I get it with Ubuntu/DOS , not interested in paying a premium for windows , or I am forced to have Windows with all laptops i buy ? is it possible to knock off a few thousands if I dont want Windows ? also some guys were talking about dell discounts , whom do I contact for that in Kolkata ?

Wakatta said:
Didnot want to hijack the other guy's thread , so opening a new one. Would be my 1st laptop so need help guys.
My requirements -
1. Wifi , as entire campus is wifi enabled and every info is distributed through net
2. Heavy browsing
3. Watching Tv series, m-hd movies , animes
4. normal MBA stuff , notes , PPTS , etc.
Thats it pretty much , no gaming , or using CS4 , etc. Whats the best value for money laptop I can get , the cheaper the better. :hap2: Can I get it with Ubuntu/DOS , not interested in paying a premium for windows , or I am forced to have Windows with all laptops i buy ? is it possible to knock off a few thousands if I dont want Windows ? also some guys were talking about dell discounts , whom do I contact for that in Kolkata ?

what is your budget? and I think you can go through this thread for more info on laptop in MBA insti.

http://www.techenclave.com/laptop-buying-advice/laptop-for-mba-163714.html

^^ he read re :p
Are you sure you can survive without windows ?

From your needs, since normal stuff is the least priority, i suppose you can go for something bigger :)

greenhorn said:
^^ he read re :p
Are you sure you can survive without windows ?

From your needs, since normal stuff is the least priority, i suppose you can go for something bigger :)

I guess he meant he is going the pir@te way :eye:

DarkAngel said:
I guess he meant he is going the pir@te way :eye:

Rightoo :bleh:
is this like that always , i mean all laptop buyers are stuck with Windows /mac os ? no consumer freedom , hehe. :p

Yah Just tell what will be your daily schedule. Making PPTs in Day and Watching movies in Hostel in the night. If it's a fully residential B-School which Hostel Quite near to the College, prefer a Laptop with 15.1 - 15.6" Screen. You will not be needing a Hi Fi Procy until and unless you are crazy for Gaming.

Best is to go via College Bulk Deal where you can expect a DELL Latitude for around 45k with 3yrs Complete Cover or a Lenovo Thinkpad with 3 Yrs. Warranty.

Else go for a Dell Inspiron 15" with 3 yrs Limited Hardware/ Complete Cover.

I got a Compaq Lappy with a Celeron Processor 3 yrs back and still using it. Just had a Battery Change and a minor repair recently.

Secondly get a Laptop which doesn't have an OS and then install Linux and Windows Together. You'll really enjoy working with Popular OS'es like Ubuntu Linux and start hating Windows.

yeah it is Residential campus and like you said , my daily schedule is like that , add to it heavy firefox browesing and downloading, am not much into gaming these days , bored with it , infact my 9600gt itself in my desktop is biting dust.

Is this possible in India , to tell the vendor I dont want Windows OS and get a few grand knocked off ?

I already use Ubuntu along for the past 1 year with XP as dual boot and use XP only for some softwares of mine which is not Linux compatible even on Wine. thats the prime reason I dont want to pay a premium for bloatwares like Vista and Win 7 ( no offence to anyone).

Yaah i just forgot to mention Net surfing and downloading part. So prefer at least Notebook with HDD of 320GB Capacity. You can expect Non OS in Compaq/ Dell Vostro and Toshiba Notebooks. Secondly all the best for 2 yrs of Full Masti days, believe me job life sucks. In my Case it's hard to forget old Symbiosis Days. Daru Paty, Late Night Movies, study just before exams etc. all are great stuffs to enjoy in Hostel Life.

arnov said:
Yaah i just forgot to mention Net surfing and downloading part. So prefer at least Notebook with HDD of 320GB Capacity. You can expect Non OS in Compaq/ Dell Vostro and Toshiba Notebooks. Secondly all the best for 2 yrs of Full Masti days, believe me job life sucks. In my Case it's hard to forget old Symbiosis Days. Daru Paty, Late Night Movies, study just before exams etc. all are great stuffs to enjoy in Hostel Life.

Cool man , you from SIBM? Kaunsa company working now in?
Shoot me a PM with your chat id.

And yeah i know job life sucks in many ways or why else will people flock back to studies , first masters , then Phd , then others and finally back to teaching line , hehe

Planning to Buy acer 5542G , any users out here ? Can anyone give a rough quote of acer 5542g recently ?? also can I get it without Windows or Windows is bundled with it? One user told he got it without Win 7.

@ajab.ghajab

Saw compaq CQ61-408TX at 27k , says it has nvidia 512dedicate gfx card , anyone knows what card model of nvidia? or can i check it in the shop ?

Back