laptop needed

hi members need a laptop budget around 40k can increase up by 3k how about this model Acer Travelmate 4151 LCi. any other thing which is better in the market plz tell the make,model and approx prices thanks

A little more info on the primary requirements would be helpful....

Since ur budget is ~60-70K, so for example you may want to take a call between a regular laptop with dedicated GFX or an ultraportable with onboard GFX...

As for you Yogi, since ur budget is arnd 40K, you may want to take a call between say a Celeron-M based machines with lotsa bells & whistles (e.g. WXGA widescreen, good speakers) or a basic Pentium-M based machine

Also, one thing that I usually advioce to everyone buying a laptop in India is to choose between a Compaq or IBM (and acer to an extent) forthe simple reason that only these two manufacturers have the sense to price their products in India at par with their pricing in more mature markets (at par to slightly higher)

Dell/Toshiba/Sony (to name a few) horribly overprice their machines in India thereby perhaps also conveying us how seriously (or rather the lack of it) they take the Indian market and the Indian consumer... (e.g the Inspron 6000 that u have linked , i distincly rem' the same specced (-the radeon X300 ) retailing for ~650 at a discount store in NJ a few mnths back)

Anyway, if you could post ur primary reqmts, I cld perhaps point out some specific models

i'm shifting to pune for work reasons and so i require a laptop. mostly i am going to work on Linux since my job is related to Unix/Linux administration etc. But @ home i am always going to boot windows for gaming like need for speed most wanted and some DVD movies :) coz thats the only entertainment for me for atleast a month in this new city :) I hope now u get an idea about my requirements. The dell inspiron 6000 config pretty much suits my requirements but only pricing is an issue.

Regards.

i'm shifting to pune for work reasons

Ahh, so you got the job? Good show. Let me know when you come down. Acer is good. Toshiba is great, but for the money I would say that with acer you can get a realllly great laptop for that amount. I can even tell you where the best deals for laptops are in Pune. Acer has setup an acermall here somewhere, but I forget where I saw it.

KingKrool said:
Ahh, so you got the job? Good show. Let me know when you come down. Acer is good. Toshiba is great, but for the money I would say that with acer you can get a realllly great laptop for that amount. I can even tell you where the best deals for laptops are in Pune. Acer has setup an acermall here somewhere, but I forget where I saw it.

thanks :D from 12th i'm in pune. I had considered Aceer too but someone on digit forums suggested to go for Dell than acer since techenclave was down for quite a long time. anyways will like to visit the lamington road(mumbai) of pune if it exists once i settle a bit in pune :)

Regards.

lamington road(mumbai) of pune if it exists

Good luck in finding it. I have been looking for it for past 6 years, never found it!

And believe u me - Acer beats the hell out of Dell. Don't believe me? Come and see my Acer lappy.

You can also try hunting for the IBM/Lenovo 1834EQ1 (Centrino 1.6 R50 series lappy with wireless and onboard gfx)

It's an awesome VFM buy for 40K esp given that it's a thinkpad...

well the laptop will be used for basic surfing watching movies and usually basic things like video conffer.. its for my cousin

Surfing/Video conf (IM Video cons i assume) can be handled by any laptop, though since u r interested in watching movies, I'd suggest u go for a WXGA screen machine...The only WXGA (widescreen) laptop in India at that price point that I am aware of is the Compaq 2374 (~33-34K) it's a celeron M 1.6, and contrary to the general opinionm It's a very very capable chip for a sweet price....Unfortunately, this machine doesn't have 802.11b/g (but wireless PCMCIA cards come for ~1.5K so no big deal)

Else there's the compaq 2356 for ~45K which has a P-M 1.6, wireless+BT and a Brightview coating widescreen

i can vouch for acer laptops. They give you best performance , features for the price . For your basic usage , the model is good enough.

Depends upon what model you are buying. My toshiba M3 14.1" (1400x1050) screen looks like crap compared to the dell xps 2 screen (1920x1200).

I have 4051 FLCi... practically the same except for 40GB hdd, no firewire and no DVI output. No wait a sec, this uses the 915 chipset... in which case, it is a good buy, but getting extra RAM will cost you an arm and a leg... make sure that whatever RAM you get extra (and 256 is just too little) is installed by the dealer, because as it is, sourcing the stuff here (DDR2 + laptop = fat chance) is probably not going to be so easy.

okie srry for no replies i was busy with my shifting to pune and new work. finally i'm back to mumbai sweet mumbai for weekend :D

@KingKrool

hey ur city rox maan it's cool n very cold :p I found out that there is big laptop market near tilaknagar i'll visit that place shortly.

But the big question is which one to go for now!?

as medpal suggest this Toshiba one @ 65K:

http://www.hclnotebooks.com/pro_satM50-341.htm

So the choice is between Acer( ?? ), Toshiba-HCL (Satellite M50-341), Dell

inspiron 6000

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
"big laptop market"
haha. You must mean house of laptops. It is one single shop, and charges exhorbitant rates.
Dell you will have to buy direct.
Acer - well man look up their site and see what model you need. I would help, but I am out of town currently. As for where to get it, well that depends. You can get it from Compuciti/House of Laptops etc. There is an acer mall somewhere, will have to look that up (possibly on acer's site, and an email to them will definitely get it). The absolute cheapest is DCC just off JM road, but they accept only cash or credit card payments. I don't know if you have a credit card with such a high limit, or if you are willingto pay cash. They have a price generally 2k below the rest, and you can save another 2k if you go and pick it up from their warehouse which is outside the city. Even if you go in an auto, it will not cost you more than 250 bux both ways (that is a very generous estimate I made). But as I said, 50k+ in cash or credit card? Ouch. Plus they will charge you 1% or so on credit card transactions....
Toshiba - well you get them all over the place now (earlier it was a real challenge). Compact, Baba computers, Compuciti (I think), Dass electronics, Central and half a dozen other places. But I have the number of a guy from HCL, some chap called Raj Rajendra, and he had once quoted me a cheaper rate than the mkt. I will get that across to you once I return to Pune on the morning of the 20th.

Back