Laptop or Tablet for wife?

rshri

Adept
My wife is currently using a 3 year old Dell netbook, which I intend to replace with something better in coming months. Her only usage is -
1) Browsing
2) Skype
3) Online videos
4) Viewing 720p mkv videos
5) Very light gaming

I am thinking - Wouldn't it be better if she starts using a tablet instead of laptop? I don't have any experience with tablets but surely today's tablets should be robust enough to handle her needs? Please advise.

Does the current netbook do not do what you all is listed ? I am just trying to ascertain whether you NEED to update or you WANT to update.

If you are still going for a device, i suggest iPad.

Current netbook is slow, struggles while playing HD videos and also takes a lot of time to bootup. Its front camera is also not very good. So upgrade is definitely required.
So you guys are suggesting iPad? Is there no better Value-For-Money option?

Current netbook is slow, struggles while playing HD videos and also takes a lot of time to bootup. Its front camera is also not very good. So upgrade is definitely required.
So you guys are suggesting iPad? Is there no better Value-For-Money option?

iPad it is then. Plays everything with appropriate apps. Youtube etc plays fine in 720p as well. Skype works fine, have used it. With the awesome games, she might go deeper into gaming.
Browsing on safari is very good and if you want, you always have chrome etc browsers. You can buy a used iPad 2 or iPad 3. For the purpose it is, even those should work fine.

It makes more sense to buy a Tablet - iPad as it has good battery backup , portablilty , ease of use , lot of quality apps (even nursery rhymes).
My wife hijacked/kidnapped my iPad :scared14: .Her Laptop is bitting the dust.

+1 Ipad.

Should I be considering Nexus10 instead of iPad2 Wi-Fi for my wife? I recently acquired Google Nexus 4 for myself. I can get Google Nexus 10 through same route. My main concern is -
1) Will Nexus 10 user interface be as user friendly as iPad2 for novices?
2) I have heard that MKVs cannot be played in Nexus 10 (Never tried on my Nexus 4, so don't know for sure). Instead they need to be converted to Mp4. Is that correct?

Should I be considering Nexus10 instead of iPad2 Wi-Fi for my wife? I recently acquired Google Nexus 4 for myself. I can get Google Nexus 10 through same route. My main concern is -
2) I have heard that MKVs cannot be played in Nexus 10 (Never tried on my Nexus 4, so don't know for sure). Instead they need to be converted to Mp4. Is that correct?

You can play MKVs directly without converting.

For iPad you will have to either convert or use alternate players to play mkv files. I never convert my files and use my iPhone everyday to watch video. I use AVPlayer.

For iPad you will have to either convert or use alternate players to play mkv files. I never convert my files and use my iPhone everyday to watch video. I use AVPlayer.

Yeah even i watch my videos on iPod 4G and AV Player is the best i found. The best Paid application that i ever bought on my iPod.
Plays all videos of any format. I have tried upto 720p videos and plays smoothly.

@raksrules: Correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt AVPlayer only there on Cydia? So the OP will have to JB the ipad.

BTW @rshri: I'd recommend the ipad2 for the Mrs., as it checks all your boxes, and you do seem to be looking for VFM. You might have to jailbreak it if you want AVPlayer to work (i hope raksrules can confirm that)

Last edited by a moderator:
@raksrules: Correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt AVPlayer only there on Cydia? So the OP will have to JB the ipad.

BTW @rshri: I'd recommend the ipad2 for the Mrs., as it checks all your boxes, and you do seem to be looking for VFM. You might have to jailbreak it if you want AVPlayer to work (i hope raksrules can confirm that)

No. It is a paid app and can be installed from Apple's App Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you go for convertible ultrabook :). Will come with Win8 and will be much easier to use, since ur wife is already using Windows platform

Why don't you go for convertible ultrabook :). Will come with Win8 and will be much easier to use, since ur wife is already using Windows platform
This is the best option..but might be too expensive? What do convertible ultrabooks cost?

^ I actually read the title as "Laptop or tablet or wife" :p
:lol:

No. It is a paid app and can be installed from Apple's App Store.
I might end up jailbreaking iPad anyway. Hope it doesn't void any warranty.
BTW, Is buying second-hand iPad2 good idea? Not sure used iPad would be acceptable to wife though :unsure:

i assume she is housewife....and i suggest laptop (or netbook). they will get bored with tablet after some time...my opinion...
She is a housewife but already quiet bored with her netbook. Tablet should be more exciting for her I guess.

Back