LASIK - Do or Do not do

Friends, Just an update.
I have done my LASIK last Friday...(13th:S bad day eh!)and now I am writing this without using any glasses. :clap:
But my vision is still blurry and it will take some more days to be more perfect. Also my doctor has informed me that I will be having -0.5 in the left eye.
Anyway it is better than what I had.. -8:hap5: Will come back with more details once my eye is back to normal.

Congrats mathew , All the best for the full recovery :)

I myself wanted to get Lasik done, but am not really comfortable with the possibility of the side effects mentioned earlier in this thread. My power is -3.75 and -3.5 (L-R). Guess i'll be happy with the contact lens and glasses.

Congrats on your surgery! :)

My 2 cents, though a bit late :(

I had lasik about 7 years ago at Coimbatore (The Eye foundation) . My power was -4.5 with a cylindrical of .5 in one eye. My vision is perfect now in both eyes, and i have not had any problems with my vision over the years :)

The main issues which i had after LASIK which i have gradually gotten used to are:

1. Sensitivity to bright lights / glare - need to use sunglasses when out in bright sunshine

2. Some reduced night vision again more due to bright lights ( that has diminished over the years and hardly bothers me)

3. Dry eyes - thats a pain, so you may need to carry around lubricating eye drops. You may not normally have any issues, but if you spend too much time staring at a screen you will need to use them.

Cheers!

congrats man..glad to hear you're ok..

i wanted to do this as well, but worried about side-effects.. i'm cool with using lenses for now instead :)

fangface said:
Congrats on your surgery! :)

My 2 cents, though a bit late :(

I had lasik about 7 years ago at Coimbatore (The Eye foundation) . My power was -4.5 with a cylindrical of .5 in one eye. My vision is perfect now in both eyes, and i have not had any problems with my vision over the years :)

The main issues which i had after LASIK which i have gradually gotten used to are:

1. Sensitivity to bright lights / glare - need to use sunglasses when out in bright sunshine
2. Some reduced night vision again more due to bright lights ( that has diminished over the years and hardly bothers me)
3. Dry eyes - thats a pain, so you may need to carry around lubricating eye drops. You may not normally have any issues, but if you spend too much time staring at a screen you will need to use them.

Cheers!

Wow! Gr8 bro! Can you plz answer sm of my Qs?

Sensitivity to bright lights / glare - need to use sunglasses when out in bright sunshine - Sunglasses? Why? What happens exactly?

Some reduced night vision again more due to bright lights ( that has diminished over the years and hardly bothers me) Reduced vision? What happens exactly? I am using lenses and I see a hallow around lights - is your case similar to it?

Dry eyes - thats a pain, so you may need to carry around lubricating eye drops.
Even after 7 years? How many times in a day? What happenes if you don't do this?

BTW, has your number returned?

Have your eyes become sensitive? i.e. are you allowed to rub them?

What will happen when you turn 40 and have to use reading glasses? Will there be any complications at that time?

mathew_p_a said:
Friends, Just an update.

I have done my LASIK last Friday...(13th:S bad day eh!)and now I am writing this without using any glasses. :clap:

But my vision is still blurry and it will take some more days to be more perfect. Also my doctor has informed me that I will be having -0.5 in the left eye.

Anyway it is better than what I had.. -8:hap5: Will come back with more details once my eye is back to normal.

How much did it cost Mathew? When will your vision return to normal? -0.5 in left eye? So, will you be able to see with that?

One more thing, ppl tell me that to go for LASIK, your number must have stabilised. Had your eye number stabilised at the time of operation?

cool_dude said:
Wow! Gr8 bro! Can you plz answer sm of my Qs?

Sensitivity to bright lights / glare - need to use sunglasses when out in bright sunshine - Sunglasses? Why? What happens exactly?

Some reduced night vision again more due to bright lights ( that has diminished over the years and hardly bothers me) Reduced vision? What happens exactly? I am using lenses and I see a hallow around lights - is your case similar to it?

Dry eyes - thats a pain, so you may need to carry around lubricating eye drops.
Even after 7 years? How many times in a day? What happenes if you don't do this?

BTW, has your number returned?

Have your eyes become sensitive? i.e. are you allowed to rub them?

What will happen when you turn 40 and have to use reading glasses? Will there be any complications at that time?

1. I feel that glare / bright light is uncomfortable for me, and the immediate natural response is to try and close my eyes. Please note that this is only in very bright sunshine or for bright light sources like camera flashes, spotlights etc. Sunglasses are just to cut down the glare.

2. Again, bright lights have some halos around them at night time, this has reduced gradually over the years and now i hardly notice any difference. I have no trouble driving at night or anything.

3. Dry eyes- I spend about 8-9 hrs in front of a screen everyday and when i am very tired or dont get enough sleep my eyes get very dry. The docs had told me that this would happen, and i just keep the drops handy whenever i need it. I dont really use them everyday.

4. My eyesight is perfect, zero power in both eyes. There is a chance of developing 'long sight' in the 40s, but that happens to everyone.

5. About stable power- If your power has been changing, or has changed within the last 6 months, then the docs usually dont go ahead with LASIK. Also if you are using lenses, you would be asked to switch to glasses for maybe a month+ before the surgery.

Hope this helps :)

cool_dude said:
How much did it cost Mathew? When will your vision return to normal? -0.5 in left eye? So, will you be able to see with that?

It cost me ~37k

1.1k for Pre checkup
35k for LASIK
1k for medicine
But it can be lesser... One guy who did on the same day had only (-2) and he said that his bill was 25k... I am not sure why this difference. May be becoz of power and cylindrical power factors

The laser is actually cutting thru the cornea... or something... So it will definitely take some time to heal. Healing time changes from person to person. I hope that my vision will be back as I used to see with glasses, in a month or so..

my right eye is alright... (will be verified this weekend). So as per my doctor (Lady doctor:eek:hyeah: ) , I will be able to view as normal even with -0.5 left in the other eye
One more thing, ppl tell me that to go for LASIK, your number must have stabilised. Had your eye number stabilised at the time of operation?

This part I am not quite sure.. Anyway my power was not drastically changing for the last few years. May be +-.25 change....

If you are aware of team-bhp forums, please visit them and search for a thread on LASIK. One of the members has beautifully outlined the information about LASIK and his personal experience on undergoing a LASIK surgery in minute detail. If someone is planning to undergo LASIK, that particular thread would be like a Bible for him/her.

I have been pondering over this option for quite some time. But after reading this, it seem its not that great an option for me to try for as my eyes are at around -1.75 for the past 11 years.

SharekhaN said:
I have been pondering over this option for quite some time. But after reading this, it seem its not that great an option for me to try for as my eyes are at around -1.75 for the past 11 years.

Lucky you ! :mad: :ashamed:

Kneo said:
If you are aware of team-bhp forums, please visit them and search for a thread on LASIK. One of the members has beautifully outlined the information about LASIK and his personal experience on undergoing a LASIK surgery in minute detail. If someone is planning to undergo LASIK, that particular thread would be like a Bible for him/her.

Thanks buddy! :cool2:

Sorry for abandoning this thread after my LASIK:D
The LASIK took only 10 minutes and I left the hospital 10 minutes after I stepped out of the operation room :bleh:

On the 3rd day itself, I went to theatre to watch a movie.... May be a little overconfident...:S I am back to office this monday...

What I feel noww.....
1) dryness of eyes (easily remedies with the tear drops. I use it very often. I am not sure whether this practice is good. My doctors prescription was to use it for 6 times a day.)
2) Can see without glasses (my power was -7.5:S )
3) Vision is blurry. Hope that it will get better as the healing process is complete.
4) Some pain in left eye. (May be due to dryness....)

I am using my system and is doing work without any issues.

^Congrats on the surgery, but don't strain you eyes too much, give it some proper rest till it recovers fully.

Back