Storage Solutions Latest SSD's on SATA2 ?

grandfromage

Disciple
I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop, with a 256GB Vertex2 SSD. The Laptop has the SATA2 interface.

Is it worth upgrading this Vertex2 (SATA2 based) to a 'modern' Samsung 840Pro or OCZ Vector SSD's ? Will i see a performance difference in normal day-to-day tasks ?
Or will this be a sidegrade, not worth spending money on?

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop, with a 256GB Vertex2 SSD. The Laptop has the SATA2 interface.

Is it worth upgrading this Vertex2 (SATA2 based) to a 'modern' Samsung 840Pro or OCZ Vector SSD's ? Will i see a performance difference in normal day-to-day tasks ?
Or will this be a sidegrade, not worth spending money on?

No point jumping to another SandForce MLC based SSD, if you really want to upgrade go for the OCZ Vertex4.

Although you will find none of the newer MLC + controllers based on SATA II because SSD's benefit immensely with the extra bandwidth provided by the SATA III port.

I suggest you stick to the Vertex2 as long as it serves you fine, later go for an SSD according to budget and hopefully from a diverse choice of controllers.

Kindly look for samsung 830 its one of the best SSD

OP has mentioned the successor to this the SAMSUNG 840Pro in his choice of drive. But as said he won't experience a great difference in real-world performance because the hard-drive needs a SATA III port to perform fully.

And again the SAMSUNG 830 carries a SandForce MLC + controller at the heart of it and that has known reliability issues.

Hope this helps and a Merry Christmas, a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year to all on this thread. Cheers!

No point jumping to another SandForce MLC based SSD, if you really want to upgrade go for the OCZ Vertex4.

Although you will find none of the newer MLC + controllers based on SATA II because SSD's benefit immensely with the extra bandwidth provided by the SATA III port.

I suggest you stick to the Vertex2 as long as it serves you fine, later go for an SSD according to budget and hopefully from a diverse choice of controllers.

Sigh :( Thats what i was afraid of that new SSD's wont be able to fully perform with SATA2 bottleneck.

And again the SAMSUNG 830 carries a SandForce MLC + controller at the heart of it and that has known reliability issues.

FYI : SAmsung 830/840 use 100% Samsund produced NAND and controller.
And Sandforce does not make SLC/MLC/TLC NAND. It only designs the controller. So there is no such thing as "SandForce MLC based SSD". NAND is made by IMFT, Toshiba and Samsung.

Have the Samsung 840Pro launched in India ? i cant find them online anywhere..

FYI : SAmsung 830/840 use 100% Samsund produced NAND and controller.

And Sandforce does not make SLC/MLC/TLC NAND. It only designs the controller. So there is no such thing as "SandForce MLC based SSD". NAND is made by IMFT, Toshiba and Samsung.

Have the Samsung 840Pro launched in India ? i cant find them online anywhere..

Thanks for correcting me about the Controller on the SAMSUNG drives although have heard that the controller sips more power than the other SSD's on market.

About the MLC package, yes the OEM's are SAMSUNG, IMFT and Toshiba and they are coupled with the controller and both are referred to from the controller point of view.

Here is the site for Indian SSD purchases -- Buy SSD | SSD Price | SSD For Laptop | Buy Solid State Drives in India.

News that might interest you --> AnandTech - Samsung Explains The Firmware Bug Causing The Failures of SSD 840/840 Pro.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

They only have the 128 Gb version of the Samsung 840. I am more interested in the 840Pro. I guess i will have to wait for it. And there is no mention of the OCZ vector.
Other than this, the 256GB Vertex4 looks good. Though there are two versions of the vertex4, based on two different NAND. One is slower and cheaper. The other is faster and expensive. I think what we see on onlyssd.com is the cheaper-slower version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227820
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227793

one has "M" in its product name.

They only have the 128 Gb version of the Samsung 840. I am more interested in the 840Pro. I guess i will have to wait for it. And there is no mention of the OCZ vector.
Other than this, the 256GB Vertex4 looks good. Though there are two versions of the vertex4, based on two different NAND. One is slower and cheaper. The other is faster and expensive. I think what we see on onlyssd.com is the cheaper-slower version.

What?

There is only one version of the drive and there are firmware updates for the same.
AnandTech - Bench - SSD.

Also, checked the onlyssd.com version it is the non-M variant. This can be a batch naming procedure as well.

Anyhow SAMSUNG (hard-drive / SSD division) is not present in an official capacity here (India), so warranty is a sticky point.

Are you serious you want to purchase a new SSD even after we have shared that real-world performance will not go up by leaps and bounds.

Wonderful, none of the current stock in onlyssd.com is the -M version. Now what to do?

Also benchmarks and reviews haven't touched this point neither. :facepalm:

Edit: Anandtech touched on this, time to bookmark it.

Although I do not see a great performance difference, real-world performance should be equivalent OR greater than SandForce based offerings (especially Write speeds).

Wonderful, none of the current stock in onlyssd.com is the -M version. Now what to do?

Also benchmarks and reviews haven't touched this point neither. :facepalm:

Edit: Anandtech touched on this, time to bookmark it.

Although I do not see a great performance difference, real-world performance should be equivalent OR greater than SandForce based offerings (especially Write speeds).

Anyhow SAMSUNG (hard-drive / SSD division) is not present in an official capacity here (India), so warranty is a sticky point.
Yeah. Not going to buy from newegg or such. Warranty is a big thing, specially in India.

Are you serious you want to purchase a new SSD even after we have shared that real-world performance will not go up by leaps and bounds.
Not buying now. Just collecting information.

Also, checked the onlyssd.com version it is the non-M variant. This can be a batch naming procedure as well.
What i'm afraid of is that they purposely ignore such things to fool the customer. (typical indian way "arrey sir yeh M to bus naam hai. Cheez to ek hi hai".:annoyed:)

What i'm afraid of is that they purposely ignore such things to fool the customer.

Don't think so, although we are brought up to a point where it is --"don't trust the guy behind the counter." mentality for everything but seeing as these drives were unavailable in certain parts of Europe too seems to indicate that this is simple supply-demand metric at work.

The higher quality Intel-NAND based drives go for a premium over their non-blue blooded Micron brethren.

By the way, even there it has been mentioned pretty explicitly that real-world performance is at par unless you are constantly in a BENCHMARK run OR in a 24 /7 high I / O situation.

Dont believe everything the mods on OCZ say ;) .

I am talking about the average user, stating that. And I feel it is true.

I will not see much of a difference between an Intel 330 series drive and a Corsair Neutron GTX SSD if I plonk either one of them into my SATA II build. The only thing I know is that reliability (non SandForce) and higher speeds can be achieved by the Corsair drive later, if I upgrade the entire system which makes the point moot as I just needed the SSD.

Back