Video LCD TV ... > 42' Full HD ?

tvarad said:
That's incorrect. Full HD is 1920x1080 pixels (1080P) while standard HD is 1280x720 or 1360x768 (numbers may be slightly incorrect). There is a definite difference while viewing native 1080P over 720P. And the pixellation difference is quite obvious, especially on larger sets (go to a electronics store and check out the difference).

Did you realize that the motion resolution of an LCD is dramatically lower than a plasma because of blur? It has been proved that the actual viewable resolution of an LCD TV is only a quarter or a third of its spatial resolution. This is basically because the pixels take a finite amount of time in ms to switch from one color to another and in essence lose some of the visual information. Unlike that, changes on plasma panels are almost instantaneous. This has been discussed to death in older threads which I suggest you look up. 100Hz LCDs help in improving this to an extent but even those can't hold a candle to any modern plasma. Also anything other than native resolution will look terrible on an LCD because the scaling engine is terrible. 720P on a plasma will look significantly better than 720P on an LCD.

So before blindly believing the specs, take a look at how HD content actually looks on a different technology.

Also I was referring to RMS power... it is irrelevant. I've seen many 30 watt Class T amps and 10 watt tubes sound significantly better than a 150-200 watt solid state behemoths.

I repeat, there's nothing else to even LOOK at in that price range now, if you're going 42". Those Panny plasmas are awesome, I quote figures from HDTV Reviews – LCD TV & Plasma Television Display Rating for the Panasonic vs. the Pio Kuro (PX80 and PV80 are the same):

Black Level
All right, let's get the first question on everyone's mind out of the way: the calibrated black level on Panasonic TH42PX80Buy this for £647.89 at Dixons
Britain's leading HDTV retailer was not as deep as that on the Pioneer PDP-4280XD, but it's getting closer. Here are some hard numbers I measured:

Plasma Television Calibrated Black Level (in cd/m2)
Pioneer PDP-4280XD 0.03
Panasonic TH42PX80 0.05
Panasonic TH42PZ70 0.06
Panasonic TH42PX70 0.08

That's just crazy.. the Sony and Tosh LCDs, which have the deepest blacks, are ~0.09cd/m^2.

^^ Those numbers are good for LCDs.

Whats the difference btw Panasonic TH42PX80 and Panasonic TH42PV80.

I guess only the latter is available in India.

Yup its PX in US/EU and PV in Asia and everywhere else. Same TV otherwise. Even Pioneer has a different nomenclature in Asia.

i think anything about 1k per inch is high. right now for 42 full hd u have to pay around 80k which seems a tad lil high to me. i recently got a 42 inch plasma from videocon for 40k. happy with it, in my new house i am planning a 52 inch sony lcd or by then if anything bigger. but i shall stick by 1k per inch rule of mine,

Chaos said:
Did you realize that the motion resolution of an LCD is dramatically lower than a plasma because of blur? It has been proved that the actual viewable resolution of an LCD TV is only a quarter or a third of its spatial resolution. This is basically because the pixels take a finite amount of time in ms to switch from one color to another and in essence lose some of the visual information. Unlike that, changes on plasma panels are almost instantaneous. This has been discussed to death in older threads which I suggest you look up. 100Hz LCDs help in improving this to an extent but even those can't hold a candle to any modern plasma. Also anything other than native resolution will look terrible on an LCD because the scaling engine is terrible. 720P on a plasma will look significantly better than 720P on an LCD.

So before blindly believing the specs, take a look at how HD content actually looks on a different technology.

Also I was referring to RMS power... it is irrelevant. I've seen many 30 watt Class T amps and 10 watt tubes sound significantly better than a 150-200 watt solid state behemoths.

I thought the argument was 1080p vs 720p , and that the 1080 is just a marketing gimmick (?), why did it convert into a lcdvsplasma-age-old-discussion?
I have seen 1080p reso and 720p, and i must say that my eyes arent that good to notice a HUGE difference. But being the dumb blonde that i am , im going to go for the 1080p. Ill be going for plasma, thats for sure, but it has to be 1080p.

Oh and for the person requesting on how the games will look, and will we be able to see a difference, i have a question for you how many games can play at 1080p reso's on consoles? Most of em are just 720p. However i think MGS4 supports 1080p. Apart from that im not sure of the other games.

n00b said:
I thought the argument was 1080p vs 720p , and that the 1080 is just a marketing gimmick (?), why did it convert into a lcdvsplasma-age-old-discussion?
I have seen 1080p reso and 720p, and i must say that my eyes arent that good to notice a HUGE difference. But being the dumb blonde that i am , im going to go for the 1080p. Ill be going for plasma, thats for sure, but it has to be 1080p.

Oh and for the person requesting on how the games will look, and will we be able to see a difference, i have a question for you how many games can play at 1080p reso's on consoles? Most of em are just 720p. However i think MGS4 supports 1080p. Apart from that im not sure of the other games.

Find me a plasma thats 1080p and affordable which doesn't sacrifice image quality. The G10 panasonic Full HD panels aren't great... the 720p panels are better. Obviously if a 1080p plasma panel is available at a not so exorbitant price premium, I'd consider it.

But considering the cost of a 1080p LCD and a 720p plasma being close, I'd always choose the latter and thats why I mentioned.

my bet is to stick to a 1080p lcd, plasma may be better than an lcd tv but they r usually the topend ones and cost a fortune.

Stick to an lcd either sony or philiphs are good enough.take some dvds or divx movies an auditon them yourself

Chaos said:

I didn't realize I was getting into a plasma vs. LCD war but I'll bite. My brother has a Panasonic 40" panel and the color inaccuracies are glaring, even after calibrating it with Video Essentials. And it's gotten worse with age. I can already see screen burn on it. That's why I've never looked at plasma. As for LCD panel short-comings like response time, brightness etc.. these problems have mostly been solved by manufacturers. There is a reason why manufacturers are ditching plasma. The argument has basically become a vinyl-vs-CD kind of debate (guess which one won?).

Scaling has nothing to do with the display panel itself, be it LCD or Plasma. It's the electronics that converts lower level resolutions to the higher native resolution of the LCD. A HD LCD panel will have one, but you can upscale in a DVD player too (or your computer for that matter) and pass it native to your panel. And the quality of those scalers can differ significantly. So I don't understand your point.

As for audio, I was simply referring to the stickers on audio systems that scream 1000W PMPO or some such which is meaningless as it's the RMS power that matters. I was not talking about the quality of equipment itself where, from personal experience, I agree with you.

We have about half a dozen LCD panels ranging from 42" to 52" in my extended family and a couple of LCD projectors (I also own a Epson Home Cinema 1080 mated to my 'puter via HDMI as well as a Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD player). After calibrating with the DVE disk, watching David Attenborough's Planet Earth 1080P HD-DVD on either the Epson (at 14' diagonal) or the Samsung 46" is a spiritual experience.

tvarad said:
I didn't realize I was getting into a plasma vs. LCD war but I'll bite. My brother has a Panasonic 40" panel and the color inaccuracies are glaring, even after calibrating it with Video Essentials. And it's gotten worse with age. I can already see screen burn on it. That's why I've never looked at plasma. As for LCD panel short-comings like response time, brightness etc.. these problems have mostly been solved by manufacturers. There is a reason why manufacturers are ditching plasma. The argument has basically become a vinyl-vs-CD kind of debate (guess which one won?).

Comparing an age old plasma 40" to a current gen LCD isn't really comparing apples to apples. Its more comparing apples to oranges. Just certain issues with LCDs have been solved, its the same with Plasmas. Go look around any HDTV review website and you'll know what gets recommended. What is popular has nothing to do with what is good.

Scaling has nothing to do with the display panel itself, be it LCD or Plasma. It's the electronics that converts lower level resolutions to the higher native resolution of the LCD. A HD LCD panel will have one, but you can upscale in a DVD player too (or your computer for that matter) and pass it native to your panel. And the quality of those scalers can differ significantly. So I don't understand your point.

How are you gonna upscale normal standard definition TV :bleh:. Also if it were just the scaling electronics, why would every LCD on the planet look blurry at anything but their native resolution while the very same Fajourda DCDi on a Plasma looks perfectly crisp and sharp. In simple words any LCD looks absolutely pathetic at anything but its non native resolution. Also any sane person will not use a dvd player but an HTPC.

As for audio, I was simply referring to the stickers on audio systems that scream 1000W PMPO or some such which is meaningless as it's the RMS power that matters. I was not talking about the quality of equipment itself where, from personal experience, I agree with you.

We have about half a dozen LCD panels ranging from 42" to 52" in my extended family and a couple of LCD projectors (I also own a Epson Home Cinema 1080 mated to my 'puter via HDMI as well as a Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD player). After calibrating with the DVE disk, watching David Attenborough's Planet Earth 1080P HD-DVD on either the Epson (at 14' diagonal) or the Samsung 46" is a spiritual experience.

Again what you own has got nothing to do with what is the best. I hope you never ever get to see a Pioneer Kuro Plasma or else you'd probably feel like kicking yourself.

TechHead said:
I repeat, there's nothing else to even LOOK at in that price range now, if you're going 42". Those Panny plasmas are awesome, I quote figures from HDTV Reviews – LCD TV & Plasma Television Display Rating for the Panasonic vs. the Pio Kuro (PX80 and PV80 are the same):

That's just crazy.. the Sony and Tosh LCDs, which have the deepest blacks, are ~0.09cd/m^2.

The new gen 9 Pios are an order of magnitude better at 0.0031 cd/m^2. I hear the older gen 428XD is down to 1.1lac from the delhi disty with some scope for negotiation. Sounds like a killer deal.

Chaos said:
The new gen 9 Pios are an order of magnitude better at 0.0031 cd/m^2. I hear the older gen 428XD is down to 1.1lac from the delhi disty with some scope for negotiation. Sounds like a killer deal.

0.03, not .003. 1.1? Good price.. any contact details for this dude? Wonder whether it's worth 40k more than a Panny PV80 though.

TechHead said:
0.03, not .003. 1.1? Good price.. any contact details for this dude? Wonder whether it's worth 40k more than a Panny PV80 though.

The dealer is in Noida. Someone I know from tbhp is going to the dealer today to check out both the PV8 and the Pioneer as the dealer seems to have both.

Pioneer India Homepage

UTTAR PRADESH
Alpha Radios

C-5 Sector- 10

Noida , Uttar Pradesh- 201301(pincode)

Tel: 0120-4144444, 4297770

Email: service@alpharadios.com

Also here's from the Pio 5090 review

Black level Deepest we've measured so far (0.0031 cd/m2)

Pioneer PDP-LX5090 Review: Kuro 50" HD 1080p Plasma TV

Back