Graphic Cards Leaked HD5870 (RV870)

G@d of w@r

Skilled
Some hardware loving Germans have come up with some "neue" details regarding the RV870. The details are said to come from an inside source.

Heres the break down: the GPU is going to be a 40nm part. Its going to have 1/4 (or +%25) more shaders compared to the HD 4870. The theoretical computational horsepower is going up to 1.5 TFLOPS, which is pretty insane (the HD 4870 has about 1 TFLOP.)

Im not sure if this is a translation error, or so some sort of hardware-freaks kinky pet-name, but the new card appears to have the code-name Lil Dragon. Not sure if this is an internal codename or just something some German writer guy with a job similar to my own just came up with just now to throw me off.

The GPU will be very tiny. The die is supposedly 205 mm². Compare this to the RV770 being 256 mm², and the GTX 280 being a big 576 mm².

DirectX 11 is most certainly going to be there. DX11 is generally accepted to be happening in mid 2009, probably with the first DX11 games coming out in the third quarter of 2009. My prediction is going to be that DX11 will actually bring some significant changes, and will exist, unlike DX10, which came (and will leave) with hardly anyone noticing. (And no, you will not have to upgrade to Windows 7 for DX11 -- itll be a download for Vista.)

ATI looks like itll stick with GDDR5 memory, tied to a 512 bit memory interface. The source pins the memory bandwidth at 150-160 GB/s, which seems completely reasonable.

And here is where things get really interesting. The HD 5870 supposedly uses some sort of cooling that ATI hasnt tried before. And thanks in part to the small size of the GPU, the HD 5870 X2 is going not have two separate GPUs -- instead it will be two RV770 cores stacked on top of each other, sort of like Pentium-D style.

If this is the case, theoretically you could put three HD5870X2 into one motherboard, giving you like six times the power of one of HD5870 -- now thatd be performance. Of course, back in the real world, things dont scale very well after 3 GPUs are CrossFired. But who knows, maybe ATI will work some CrossFireX magic up, who knows.

Disclaimer: These are all rumors. All these specs seem sort of reasonable and make sense, but none of this stuff is confirmed.

START DUMPING 4 SERIES CARD :p

Source:HARDSPELL.COM-ATI HD5870 rumors: 1.5 TFLOPS, 40nm, 1000+ shaders, and...multi-core?

Only paper talk, paper talk is as good as NOTHING, dont worry guys, they will try to squeeze as much profit from the 4 series before they get out 5, I guess this publicity is for lowering down the sales of 4000 ? since everyone will stop buying them.

Don't expect dx11 to be shipped out as standalone for just Vista. It's more than likely to be introduced with Windows 7 and MS doesn't have a great track history with timely releases of OS's. And since the market is glum in the US it is highly unlikely that the cards will be out until the first half of 2009 or maybe even later(most likely towards the end of 09).

zomg new 5 serial card with dx 11 ready :|

i guess gannu a.ka gunman is doing you update 5870 :rofl:

i wonder if there is any 5850 if aviable soon upcoming next 2009 :p

so R870 is gonna be between R770 and R700..hmm no point in upgrading..ny ways now a days all PC gets is console ports..so every one who has a gfx card which can handle current games the displays native res should be good till the next gen of console arrive.

But i guess..some ppl have the irresistible urge to upgrade no matter wht.

I'm not too worried. A few DX11 games might start coming out in 3rd quarter of next year, but all games will come out with DX11 only in early/mid 2010. By then anyone who's bought a 4-series card will upgrade his PC. The 4870/50 should last everyone AT LEAST till September next year. a 1 year life cycle for a video card is nothing to be ashamed about :)

Yeah! I can barely see DX10 being properly implemented and I'm pretty sure that DX11 won't see the light of the day until Q1-10.

Anish said:
Yeah! I can barely see DX10 being properly implemented and I'm pretty sure that DX11 won't see the light of the day until Q1-10.

but you can still have a card in the market ;) It was a good amount of time before DX10 games came along after nVidia 8800 series was introduced in the market.

The two statements below seem very suspect:

1. DX11 is generally accepted to be happening in mid 2009, probably with the first DX11 games coming out in the third quarter of 2009.
2. ATI looks like itll stick with GDDR5 memory, tied to a 512 bit memory interface. The source pins the memory bandwidth at 150-160 GB/s, which seems completely reasonable.

A new standard dubuts and we see supporting titles a mere three months later? Dude...

With GDDR5 scaling to 5 GHz, why the heck would they go with a totally unnecessary 512-bit bus? 512-bit GDDR5 is still work in progress, and the costs are astronomical, around 2x the costs involved with making 512-bit GDDR3.

Should be a seriously rocking card with 1K SPs, I was hoping for 1200 though ;)

dont worry guys it will be quite a time before ati launches it...afterall they also want to sell there 4870 cards as many as possible and dont wanna go in loss stacking up the stock ;)

So dont frown and try to get as much as possible from 4870 :)

dont u guys c..games are not made with the PC as there main development platform any more..dats why Dx10 was never implemented ...after the game was made for the console ..they jus put some added Dx10 features to the game for the game to appeal to PC gamers.

will be the same for Dx11 and so on..untill the nxt gen of consoles come out.

Back