Monitors LED monitor text reading less than 9K

sam000

Adept
Nov 25, 2007
I have a 17†LG CRT now and want to upgrade to LED Budget is upto Rs 9000 ...the less the better .I have MSI HD4850 also

What I am looking for :

No brand preferences but I want a VFM Reliable product with Solid after sales support

What I will be doing with the monitor :
  1. I have all my textbooks in PDF format so 60% I will be using it to read them only .
  2. 30% for watching documentaries and movies .I don’t download HD flicks as I don’t have a decent broadband so please take that into account as well.
  3. 10 % browsing and watching youtube videos ….I have completely stopped playing games so that’s not a priority at all now .

I saw this other threads about LED for text reading and people have suggested DELL ST2220L which is available in Chennai for Rs 8500 and it comes with HDMI is this a good monitor for my needs?Do I even need HDMI?.

I have no idea about monitors so need your valuable advise to make the right choice.Thank you.

26 views no reply ? need to make the purchase guys please guide me
<

gauSs

Disciple
Mar 9, 2009
As for HD flicks, you can always borrow them
123.gif
or buy blu rays. Suggestion would be to go for a monitor with native resolution of 1920x1080 (also known as full HD) and with HDMI port. The HDMI port will make it compatible with Tata Sky HD and any blu ray player. Don't know about reading on LEDs but higher the resolution, better the clarity. If the clarity is good, you can read from a distance. The ST2220L is a good buy. 22 inches will make it future proof. Consider the BenQs too. The DELLs are good too but the main plus point being 3 years replacement warranty. The BenQ has only one year.

On a different note, the clarity and color depth of the CRTs is not reproduced by the regular TN(Twisted Neumatic) type LCD/LED monitors. The IPS type panels do however reproduce comparable color depth and composition. But the IPS based montiors like the DELL U2311H are comparably expensive. This one retails at around 14k.

sam000

Adept
Nov 25, 2007
^^Ok thanks will opt for the 22 inch display only ....Yeah the benq has a fan following everywhere so should be good no doubt but the main attraction with the dell is like you said the 3 Yr warranty .The IPS one is really out of my budget ...will i notice the drop in quality like you said if i switch from the 17 inch CRT to the DELL TN ST2220L?....after reading your post it sounds more like a downgrade instead of a upgrade unless i opt for a IPS
cry.gif

Jarod

Disciple
Mar 29, 2012
sam000 said:
after reading your post it sounds more like a downgrade instead of a upgrade unless i opt for a IPS

In terms of colour quality and viewing angles it will be a downgrade. This might be noticeable when watching videos.

OTOH, the pixel sharpness will be very good. Since you're mainly reading, this will be a plus point.

gauSs

Disciple
Mar 9, 2009
The viewing angles on the BenQ 24" and 22" are good (178 degrees). Did not notice any issues with that. The pixel sharpness will be better. No doubt about that. The 1920x1080 resolution will more than make up for the washed out colors.

Do watch full HD prints of movies on the new monitor. It will make it worth the purchase. I can send you some full HD prints on a DVD or a USB drive
<

Reading experience should be less of a strain on the eyes. Also, the physical screen space that the 22" inch offers in addition to the 1920x1080 resolution makes referring to text while programming or doing a task very convenient. I upgraded to a 19" LCD from a 14" CRT at work and the difference is really very realxing (I didn't have to pay for it though
<
).

Just ensure that the monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080. The other resoltuion of 1366x768 is not worth it for a screen size of 22". Sometimes it is mentioned as Full HD in a trademarked way on the carton.

Just an afterthought, if you can spare some more and go for a 24", you won't need another monitor ever
<

sam000

Adept
Nov 25, 2007
Ok thanks for all the reply guys yesterday got the ST2220L from devraj computers DELL's distributor from chennai for Rs 8400
happy55.gif
.The monitor is too bright i dont know how to adjust it to perfection need some help guys ....what is the best setting for this monitor?

Also run into some trouble so starting a new thread on that issue pls advise me on what to do on that thread thank you .

ganesh

Disciple
Apr 25, 2007
Chennai
Ya it is, i am using the following config keep it in standard mode with brightness - 30 and contrast - 50..may be in the morning time you can keep the brightness to 50 if you want.. But in the night its too much for me while gaming!!

sam000

Adept
Nov 25, 2007
Ya it is, i am using the following config keep it in standard mode with brightness - 30 and contrast - 50..may be in the morning time you can keep the brightness to 50 if you want.. But in the night its too much for me while gaming!!

Thanks set it to 50-60 looks good as my room dont get much light .Started a new thread here need your valuable advise :

http://www.techenclave.com/topic/512449-st2220l-help/.

thanks .

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Mar 24, 2005
51nD m3!
www.techenclave.com
Best is not to touch the monitor but adjust the color via nvidia or ati control panel and create custom graphic profiles which incl. custome colors-brightness/contrast/gamma as per your needs and all this can be shifted using custom hotkeys. M using same technique since 8yrs now.
<

Jarod

Disciple
Mar 29, 2012
How and why is it best?

Software manipulation of contrast or brightness will clip the dynamic range which will lead to loss of detail in highlights.

nRiTeCh said:
M using same technique since 8yrs now.

I don't know which James Bond movie you saw, but Agent M doesn't use this technique.

gauSs said:
The viewing angles on the BenQ 24" and 22" are good (178 degrees). Did not notice any issues with that.

If they are IPS panels then maybe, but TN panels are 160-170 degrees. Realistically even IPS starts to show contrast shifts past 160 degrees. Its much worse for TN panels.