Legendary music player Winamp is going open-source

That's great news! Didn't know they support it till now, always thought that it was a fork that all the raved about. Anyways now that Foobar2000 is available, it has become my go it since many years.

It was a goto app for music back then but I doubt it can compete with existing players like vlc
Vlc is solely used as a video player not audio.
What was the USP of WinAmp?
I remember seeing it on every PC, but when I bought mine, I couldn't find anything special compared to the default media players (Was it the full screen visualizations, or gapless playback?).
Later I preferred the f00bar when it was released, and its DSPs, convolvers, media library.
Simplicity yet tons of tweaks & those dsp plugins which I cracked during my early reverse enginnering experimentation days.
And ya lacs of themes skins & my self created a lot of skins, uploaded on random forums & downloadable sites and then forgotten..
foobar2000 was developed by Peter Pawłowski, who previously worked at Nullsoft and developed plugins for Winamp.
He probably left after AoL acquisition.
Foobar for me is just a Fu Bai Fu Fugadi Fu compared to Winamp.
Oh the good ol'd days when Winamp was on every PC and the go to music player! I currently use JRiver MC on my audio PC which is connected to my stereo setup but would love to use Wimamp again for the nostalgia!
I use Aimp3 since more than a decade, the best lookalike alternative to Winamp and i use winamp plugins with it.
What do you do during 100+ km drives/rides?
He doesn't drive and not everyone is a music bluff, people prefer talks & chitchats more these days.

Last edited:
Easy to make fun by you on someone who is battling depression..not cool!
I was having fun, not making fun of the person in question. There is a night and day difference between the two.

Also, browsing TechEnclave is not some lowly act. It's a great platform by all means and can be a good source of fun. At least for me it is.
Vlc is solely used as a video player not audio.
Try the Android version. It simultaneously serves as an awesome music player.

Last edited:
Let us also know how to browse while been behind the wheel
Tesla autopilot and Doaremon's widget.

1000000655.jpg

Of course, you are already on the Notice!
No I am not. As a matter of fact, I don't owe any explanations for a simple joke.
Let him comment.
I was not serious when I asked you that question. Not looking for any answers.

Last edited:
Lol no idea. Heard about silicon valley engineers doing micro doses of LSD for alertness and stress relief??? Wild.

Best bet is to go abroad for marijuana based products where it's legal, like Amsterdam, who knows, maybe legal in India too at some point.
Aromatherapy is also great for improving your mood/depression/relieving stress... worth a try.
@sauravghosh

Transcranial magnetic stimulation is reportedly a new option.
Ketamine therapy also reported fine for some.
Will not recommend all this to anyone, heard there are professional therapy centers in Mexico, etc. though.
But, due to cultural and psychological reasons, if options were available for Indians, would be great.

Apparently this is now the quack certified depression cure (TM, patent pending) thread instead of a winamp thread?
I am pretty sure he never asked for any of this. That he has had meetups with actual trained and certified therapists/psychologists who were supposed to be consulted for the problem at hand.

But somehow people here are ever so intrigued about the intricacies of his personal life, asking absurd questions and taking the offence on his behalf.

Back