LG Optimus L9 available, is it the best VFM phone in 15-20k category?

vigilante

Adept
Hi All,
The LG Optimus L9 is now available on Flipkart for preorder at Rs.18490/-. For a phone with 4.7 in screen and a dual core processor with 1 GB ram, this is a really good deal. Specs wise this is at par with above 20k phones and surpasses most of its competitors. Let's not compare this with Nexus 4 since it doesn't have any Indian warranty now and will surely be ridiculously price when officially launched. So this seems to be the best choice in the 15-20k category. The only cons I can see are low storage capacity and lackluster cam. But expandable slot and removable battery make up for that. What say guys, is this the best Value for money phone is its category?

It seems so. It has the same chip and graphic card as Motorola Atrix 2 : 1GB RAM + 4GB ROM + IPS + 2150 mAH battery + size of S3. It's sure to rock the market. But compare the phone with others in the segment on geekaphone.com and it loses out to Samsung advance for the lack of AMOLED screen and internal memory and sensors.

It seems so. It has the same chip and graphic card as Motorola Atrix 2 : 1GB RAM + 4GB ROM + IPS + 2150 mAH battery + size of S3. It's sure to rock the market. But compare the phone with others in the segment on geekaphone.com and it loses out to Samsung advance for the lack of AMOLED screen and internal memory and sensors.

But is the AMOLED screen of S Adv enough to forego 1/4th ram and screen size? From what I heard the IPS display is not bad either and the memory is expandable. I was actually hoping the S3 mini would launch in this range its current pricing (27k) is just foolish. What would be L9's other competitors and how does it fare against them? It currently seems to blow away Xperia J and Htc desire x specs wise (not looks).

For a phone with warranty, it's definitely the best phone in this price range currently. I hope LG give it a 4.2 update soon but knowing their track record, it's probably too much to ask for. The Atrix 2 is now a close second in this category.

For a phone with warranty, it's definitely the best phone in this price range currently. I hope LG give it a 4.2 update soon but knowing their track record, it's probably too much to ask for. The Atrix 2 is now a close second in this category.

Yeah that was my only concern, whether LG would provide updates for this. I just hope they do their sake as their reputation had gotten quite low prior to nexus 4 launch. Currently these specs with the pricing just seems too good to be true (not counting Nexus4), and I am not able to find any faults. Guys has anyone found any catch here? What could be the deal breaker?

Considering the specs and pricing the phone surely seems to be a really great buy, but it would be wiser for some user reviews to come in and then decide. I would generally avoid Facebook reviews and ratings.

But is the AMOLED screen of S Adv enough to forego 1/4th ram and screen size? From what I heard the IPS display is not bad either and the memory is expandable. I was actually hoping the S3 mini would launch in this range its current pricing (27k) is just foolish. What would be L9's other competitors and how does it fare against them? It currently seems to blow away Xperia J and Htc desire x specs wise (not looks).

Maybe you like bigger screens. I'm not sure if that's the case with everyone. But yeah, you do lose 1/4th of RAM compared to this one which makes it an awesomebuy for a phone of this price. IPS is definitely good, but not better than AMOLED. And LG are always dodgy about giving updates. I almost went for HTC desire X the other day on superdeal@homeshop since it has already promised been JB update + nothing can come close to the HTC sense.

Maybe you like bigger screens. I'm not sure if that's the case with everyone. But yeah, you do lose 1/4th of RAM compared to this one which makes it an awesomebuy for a phone of this price. IPS is definitely good, but not better than AMOLED. And LG are always dodgy about giving updates. I almost went for HTC desire X the other day on superdeal@homeshop since it has already promised been JB update + nothing can come close to the HTC sense.

Nothing like for/against bigger screens. But if I'm getting a big display (with good res) at same price, why not? And yes, desire X was on the top of my list before this caught my eye. why almost on hs deal? what was the price? Plz do let me know if you come across another deal and decide to go for it.

mitraark Yeah I am waiting for some Indian hands-on reviews, although I have gone through the reviews of the US variant (with 4.5" screen) and they are positive.

(IPS) LCD is good for those who prefer realistic colour reproduction over saturated hues. Also, since the last 2 years, even sAMOLED don't have true blacks anymore.

Speaking of Sense, I'd take stock holo ICS/JB over Sense/Touchwiz/Timescape any friggin' day.

suhailkhan
The main reason why the L9 is cheap is because mid-level manufacturers (in India) such as LG and Motorola have realised that their core market is being eaten up by the likes of Micromax, Karbonn, Lava and Spice.

The main reason why the L9 is cheap is because mid-level manufacturers (in India) such as LG and Motorola have realised that their core market is being eaten up by the likes of Micromax, Karbonn, Lava and Spice.

Well, good for us. With Moto out of India, LG can make a killing with its range if they just market this properly AND provide timely updates. The internal storage seems to be the only downer here. Now only if they promise an update, i'll pounce on this one. So considering all the aspects, who's the winner in this category: LG Optimus L9 vs. Samsung Galaxy Advance vs. HTC Desire X ??

Just one thing which I would like to point out is that L9's DPI is 234 ppi.
So does this make L9 an MDPI or HDPI?
HDPI is ~240 ppi and MDPI is ~160 ppi.

I am asking so because most of the CM9/10?AOKP themes are made for HDPI or XHDPI.

YKW
It comes under HDPI. The Galaxy S2, HTC HD2 and Desire HD have a PPI of 217 and are all classified under HDPI. It has more to do with the actual screen resolution than the pixel density, methinks. HVGA phones like the Galaxy Ace, Optimus One and Xperia GO are classified under MDPI whereas QVGA ones like the original Wildfire come under LDPI.

EDIT: From the Android developer website, it appears that a pixel density of over 200 along with minimum VGA resolution is what classifies a device as HDPI. This is slightly confusing. By this logic, a 2.8 inch HVGA device would still be classified under MDPI despite having PPI > 200.

Anyway, sorry for the horrible OT.

the phone looks good for the price ... adding a class 6 sd card will take care of the storage part .....

Camera and updates from LG would be concerns ....... i am thinking of getting this for my wife

IPS over SAmoled. I would pick IPS for excellent color reproduction and viewing angles. I like the natural colors more.

THe phone in itself is brilliant. It's already got Root (same as TMobile Version). The chipset and camera module are same as the Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus.

Expect amazing custom rom scene on this phone.

Would these specs with 4 GB internal storage suffice to play HD games? What happens when a game size is greater than the usable internal memory remaining? Can we move all apps/games to SD card or the app/game itself should support moving to SD card?
comp@ddictLets hope so. I did actually see a lot of excitement about this phone on xda forums.

Yes, it would suffice. The larger games which have data for download via Wifi network generally store it directly on the SD card. 4GB is more than enough memory for apps, although I guess that it would be more of a 2GB (apps) + 2GB (media) solution.

It comes under HDPI. The Galaxy S2, HTC HD2 and Desire HD have a PPI of 217 and are all classified under HDPI. It has more to do with the actual screen resolution than the pixel density, methinks. HVGA phones like the Galaxy Ace, Optimus One and Xperia GO are classified under MDPI whereas QVGA ones like the original Wildfire come under LDPI.

EDIT: From the Android developer website, it appears that a pixel density of over 200 along with minimum VGA resolution is what classifies a device as HDPI. This is slightly confusing. By this logic, a 2.8 inch HVGA device would still be classified under MDPI despite having PPI > 200.

Anyway, sorry for the horrible OT.
Hey thanks for the details!
Cheers! :)

Back