Lifetime of LED bulbs

It makes sense what you said above. All my E27s' were inside chandelier holders with minimal ventilation. The type where you insert your hand from the top to access the holder. All the B22s were horizontal placed or in an open holder socket (the ones attached to a fancy fan at the bottom) -- if you know what I meant!
Mine you have to insert from the bottom. Its enclosed with only access from the bottom. I'm not sure if that qualifies as 'open' but its certainly not completely enclosed like the ones in my bathroom.

When i look at reviews on amazon, wipro has many negative reviews where the light flickers and that too fails within a year so havells must be made in the same factory too. Both have the same failure behaviour.

Temperatures of course above 30C. Like average 34-38C.
Pretty high for average room temperature. Mine hovers around 25 and when it gets to 28 it becomes quite unbearable.

Checking the bulb with an IR gun, the holder remains cool around 30 degrees. The bulb where the light comes out is slightly warm. The part just above the light is much hotter around 70-80 degrees. That's the part of the body closest to the emitters.

My osram 9w led bought in 2013 still works but its dimmer by atleast 35% and was also the most used. Back then it costed 600 and it wasn't until 2017 that other led bulbs could match its advertised lumens / watt.

I'm still using 2 in 1 Philips LED bulbs(10x) that I bought back in 2015, all of them are still working without any hitch.
Replaced all CFL/Tubelights to GM LED panels in our home around the same time, luckily haven't had any failed LED yet.

I'm still using 2 in 1 Philips LED bulbs(10x) that I bought back in 2015, all of them are still working without any hitch.
Replaced all CFL/Tubelights to GM LED panels in our home around the same time, luckily haven't had any failed LED yet.
Same here
Bought Wipro LED Tube lights 4x in August,2018 still going strong
Bought Wipro LED Bulbs 5x in February,2021 still going strong
Not without a hitch

No need of any worry of any RMA

Cree and Philips are two of the largest LED manufacturers of OEM LED strips (many others, but the LEDs with high CRI are mostly Cree or Philips in the fixture and automotive sector, with Nichia, Samsung and SSC also playing a large part in global LED manufacturing).

Use a high CRI bulb - Philips are pretty good at this. CRI is the color rendering index, and the higher the CRI, the better your eye can make out details.
If you see those cheap LEDs - they are likely using low CRI cheap LEDs and you'll see a white glare-ish light, and it's actually harsh on the eyes because of the narrow bandwidth - usually 6500K only.

Also, ALL LED's decay - it is true of this technology, and depending on the usage and LED rating, your LEDs will grow dimmer over time. Also, high heat, no good heatsinking for the LED, bad circuitry, high current, power fluctuations etc will harm the bulb.

Use a high CRI bulb - Philips are pretty good at this. CRI is the color rendering index, and the higher the CRI, the better your eye can make out details.
If you see those cheap LEDs - they are likely using low CRI cheap LEDs and you'll see a white glare-ish light, and it's actually harsh on the eyes because of the narrow bandwidth - usually 6500K only.
No high CRI lights in that list. Where do you get them in B22 and 14W ?

Ideally these lights would be around th 4k kelvin mark like abroad but you will not find those light temperatures. Its either warm white or cool white. A gap of over 3 k in between. I'm fine with the warm white.

Last edited:
What is more noticeable is how the brightness gradually decreases over time to around 70-80% of what it was brand new.
Facts. I tend to replace ours every 2-3 years.
I don't think that there is one reliable brand out there. I've used a variety of popular ones including the cheaper local/chinese made.

I don't think that there is one reliable brand out there. I've used a variety of popular ones including the cheaper local/chinese made.
1641560245071.png

Still working
1641560269891.png

One of them failed in 3 months and was replaced. Both are still working.

1641560308932.png

All 6 are still working, with no apparent dimming. And are used on a daily basis.

View attachment 123636
Still working
View attachment 123637
One of them failed in 3 months and was replaced. Both are still working.

View attachment 123638
All 6 are still working, with no apparent dimming. And are used on a daily basis.
Use a lux meter app at a fixed distance. Measure one of you older ones and then replace the bulb with a new one and see the difference.
What is different between our two setups then ?

There's equal camps of both sides here.

Brand is less of a factor. I'm thinking ambient temperature and possibly power supply quality.

Last edited:
How do you replace online ordered ones?
I didn't need to - the one that failed here, I took to my friendly shop (who I also keep giving a lot of business to), who had their Philips guy replace it.
Out of more than 15 Philips bulbs, only one has failed so far.

Also bought cheap ones, but they did fail, so brand quality does matter.
Local shops usually mark the ones they sell with marker with date and signature for replacement in 1 year

I didn't need to - the one that failed here, I took to my friendly shop (who I also keep giving a lot of business to), who had their Philips guy replace it.
Out of more than 15 Philips bulbs, only one has failed so far.

Also bought cheap ones, but they did fail, so brand quality does matter.
Local shops usually mark the ones they sell with marker with date and signature for replacement in 1 year
yes local shops will mark the date on the bulb

Back