Lightweight player for mkv files

Hi,

I am using MPC-HC in the pc, it is lightweight and does the job. In the phone it is some old version of VLC player, again nothing fancy but gets the job done. Recently downloaded some show but its in mkv format. Tried the same in pc but only audio plays in MPC-HC and in Windows media player and no video. In phone it shows the video too but there are lags here and there. Now both these players play mkv files just fine. I guess these downloaded files are encoded in some newer/complex version, I might be wrong, of mkv which these old players cannot seem to handle. Any lightweight software like MPC-HC which can get the job done for windows and android?

Thanks

Hi,

I am using MPC-HC in the pc, it is lightweight and does the job. In the phone it is some old version of VLC player, again nothing fancy but gets the job done. Recently downloaded some show but its in mkv format. Tried the same in pc but only audio plays in MPC-HC and in Windows media player and no video. In phone it shows the video too but there are lags here and there. Now both these players play mkv files just fine. I guess these downloaded files are encoded in some newer/complex version, I might be wrong, of mkv which these old players cannot seem to handle. Any lightweight software like MPC-HC which can get the job done for windows and android?

Thanks
Look for pot player by daum, after I ditched km player years ago, pot player has been my daily driver for x265 files

Most likely you are trying to play hevc h.265,

It does need higher processing power due to high compression, If u can't play using vlc/mpv on your devices, not much can be done.

You can try converting it to h.264 which would take time and more storage, but u will be able to play it afterwards, else you can download the same with h.264 codecs

try MPC-BE its in active development.. not like mpc-hc.

Look for pot player by daum, after I ditched km player years ago, pot player has been my daily driver for x265 files
Thanks. Will try and get back. Anything similar for phone?
Most likely you are trying to play hevc h.265,

It does need higher processing power due to high compression, If u can't play using vlc/mpv on your devices, not much can be done.

You can try converting it to h.264 which would take time and more storage, but u will be able to play it afterwards, else you can download the same with h.264 codecs
Bhai isse acha I will download from another source in some other format.
A quick question, playing it via vlc in phone but it lags. How much ram does it require to play it smoothly? And any minimum processor limit needed for it?
try MPC-BE its in active development.. not like mpc-hc.

Thanks. Will try and get back. Anything similar for phone?
MPC-HC is actively updated with the latest LAV filters. Maybe run the file thru Mediainfo to check what is it but as someone already mentioned VLC is the "acid test" and if that cannot play then you will struggle.
Thanks. Yes I read on reddit that loyal supporters have taken matter into their own hands. From the link that you have posted from where can I download the installer file? Links on reddit don't seem to work now.
Update-
https://mpv.io/ mpv player plays it fine in pc but in phone this mpv player's app is only playing audio and not video. Anything for the phone?

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes I read on reddit that loyal supporters have taken matter into their own hands. From the link that you have posted from where can I download the installer file? Links on reddit don't seem to work now.
Update-
https://mpv.io/ mpv player plays it fine in pc but in phone this mpv player's app is only playing audio and not video. Anything for the phone?
Go to the link and click Releases

In phone it shows the video too but there are lags here and there.
Try changing the hardware acceleration settings in VLC, test will all combinations. I don't think there's any video player better than VLC for Android.

For PC, 100% what @JMak said. The developers are kinda shaddy though.

+1 for Potplayer , I also switched from MPC-HC almost 2 years back.
It's interface is similar to MPC with much more customization options yet light on resources.
Very capable player with no extra codecs needed, installs free codecs if required at time of initial installation.

Some additional information regarding the question, mkv isn't really a format, it's just a container. There are many different video codecs and compression algorithms. Not all of those have distinct file extensions. The codec information is available as metadata in the video file and the file extension is just to help identify it as a video file. so mkv doesn't really represent a single format.

Going from there, you'll need to check the actual codec used to encode the video. There are many ways to see this information. Even VLC should be able to show it on your PC (not sure about phone). This will help you avoid files with this specific codec, in case your phone/PC are not able to play it.

There is, of course, a chance that the file itself is corrupt. It's not necessary that the issue is with your PC and phone. If they play all other files fine and won't play this one, then there is a chance that the video file might be corrupt. I have received video files in the past where the video would disappear in certain parts and the audio would keep playing. After trying multiple PCs/Phones, it turned out that the file hadn't been properly encoded. So verify this part as well. Ask someone else to play the file, in case you yourself don't have access to a more powerful PC.

Go to the link and click Releases
Thanks. Works well. Anything similar for phones?
Try changing the hardware acceleration settings in VLC, test will all combinations. I don't think there's any video player better than VLC for Android.

For PC, 100% what @JMak said. The developers are kinda shaddy though.
Nothing is being able to play in phone. Have tried all combinations in vlc.
For pc all softwares mentioned here+mpv player worked. I guess the mpc-hc that I am using was really old. + @kartikoli @Synth-Pop
Some additional information regarding the question, mkv isn't really a format, it's just a container. There are many different video codecs and compression algorithms. Not all of those have distinct file extensions. The codec information is available as metadata in the video file and the file extension is just to help identify it as a video file. so mkv doesn't really represent a single format.

Going from there, you'll need to check the actual codec used to encode the video. There are many ways to see this information. Even VLC should be able to show it on your PC (not sure about phone). This will help you avoid files with this specific codec, in case your phone/PC are not able to play it.

There is, of course, a chance that the file itself is corrupt. It's not necessary that the issue is with your PC and phone. If they play all other files fine and won't play this one, then there is a chance that the video file might be corrupt. I have received video files in the past where the video would disappear in certain parts and the audio would keep playing. After trying multiple PCs/Phones, it turned out that the file hadn't been properly encoded. So verify this part as well. Ask someone else to play the file, in case you yourself don't have access to a more powerful PC.
Actually the version of mpc-hc which I used was made in 2015 so by installing softwares mentioned here+mpv player it is working fine. But for phone only vlc seems to be a nice option but unfortunately it lags in that software. You are right something to do with the codec.
P.S. The video is from a Squid Game. I could only find this one torrent with English audio. I guess I will have to search a new one.
Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Thanks. Works well. Anything similar for phones?

Nothing is being able to play in phone. Have tried all combinations in vlc.
For pc all softwares mentioned here+mpv player worked. I guess the mpc-hc that I am using was really old. + @kartikoli @Synth-Pop

Actually the version of mpc-hc which I used was made in 2015 so by installing softwares mentioned here+mpv player it is working fine. But for phone only vlc seems to be a nice option but unfortunately it lags in that software. You are right something to do with the codec.
P.S. The video is from a Squid Game. I could only find this one torrent with English audio. I guess I will have to search a new one.
Thanks everyone
I am 100% sure you can find lot more English episodes of Squid Game on torrent sites with good seeds. For running these files on phone you can try MX player and use software acceleration instead of hardware thats probably will be able to run it smoothly. I think VLC have that option as well

I am 100% sure you can find lot more English episodes of Squid Game on torrent sites with good seeds. For running these files on phone you can try MX player and use software acceleration instead of hardware thats probably will be able to run it smoothly. I think VLC have that option as well
Shifted to some other source. I think that particular video was encoded in some weird codec, av1 seems to be the culprit here.
Thanks everyone. Cheers.

Back