Budget 31-40k Linux Mini-ITX Build for HTPC / Zoom (kiddo's classes) / General Purpose

Not just AM4, AM3+ boards also have issues. I guess its AMD specific issue and Gigabyte doesn't care about fixing them.
One of my friend complained that the LAN doesn't work (Gigabyte low end AM4) with Linux distros, although it worked fine with windows and he tried almost all distros and finally figured it out after a month. Although LAN never had issues with Linux kernel's.
Yup, that too is my experience, LAN never has issues in Linux. Back in the day when I used to install old-skool Red-hat 7.something on our PCs that we had while in college, we could reasonably easily get LAN working on el-cheapo HCL systems running Pentium 3 - 866 Mhz - dunno what motherboard that was, had on-board 100Mbit ethernet. (this is circa late-2001 / early 2002 - before Fedora was a thing)

@Psycho_McCrazy I have a Deskmini A300 (older model) that I sourced from Devraj Computers. They shipped it to my place, Nagpur, without any hassle. The newer X300 is essentially the same system, just out of the box support for newer APUs.
I have a 4650G that I use with the B450i Aorus, but I have tried the 4650G with the Deskmini running a beta BIOS, and it runs just fine, no issues at all.

Deskmini defeats the purpose of diy case as intended by OP
The deskmini does seem like a nice system, but I do want a DIY case. And more than that, I am slightly averse to the SO-DIMMS used on these NUC / NUC-Clone Ultra SFF machines - wish to use fully bog standard desktop hardware so as to have some backup / interchangeability.

I'll try to post renders of some of the mock-ups that I am trying to build in Blender. Might take some time though, office is making me crazy, and some home stuff too...

I think if you go complete DIY and a proper mini-ITX, you need to expand budget. SFX size PSUs like Corsair SF450 are starting at 7K unless you settle for pico-psu type power supplies.

Or may be you can go with Silverstone SG13 and cramp in a ATX PSU but that build will be mini-oven/toaster. I did a build in this case couple of years back and I had kinda 'anti-buyer's remorse' with choice of my PSU. Since you do not need to accommodate GPU, you can reduce foot print of this build when looking to start from scratch.

Yup, that too is my experience, LAN never has issues in Linux. Back in the day when I used to install old-skool Red-hat 7.something on our PCs that we had while in college, we could reasonably easily get LAN working on el-cheapo HCL systems running Pentium 3 - 866 Mhz - dunno what motherboard that was, had on-board 100Mbit ethernet. (this is circa late-2001 / early 2002 - before Fedora was a thing)
Why Fedora? Its not easy for newbies to deal with SELinux and if you're disabling SELinux then there is no point in using Fedora. Ubuntu LTS is the easy way unless newer/updated libraries/packages are necessary. And flatpak solves that problem for end user applications.

Is it available in India? Let me search...

EDIT: renoir supporting model X300 series exists but unable to search source / availability in India.
Will look again...
Deskmini A300 also supports Renoir, Asrock did put in BIOS update and can be found on Reddit if taken down by Asrock

PS: It was beta BIOS to support renoir APUs and lot of positive comments triggered after it was made available - you might need to check forums/reddit discussing the same.

I think if you go complete DIY and a proper mini-ITX, you need to expand budget. SFX size PSUs like Corsair SF450 are starting at 7K unless you settle for pico-psu type power supplies.

Or may be you can go with Silverstone SG13 and cramp in a ATX PSU but that build will be mini-oven/toaster. I did a build in this case couple of years back and I had kinda 'anti-buyer's remorse' with choice of my PSU. Since you do not need to accommodate GPU, you can reduce foot print of this build when looking to start from scratch.
450 watts for what? He can probably build 3 pc with his requirement with a 450 watt psu , His cpu needs only 65 watts and maybe 50 more for ssd ram and other shit . A 200 watt psu is nuff for him , no?
Ill suggest him if he can find one of the psu of used old sff optiplex from any used market or reseller , they are small and efficient , one from delta electronics is small with 225 watt 80+ will be around 700-1000 rs , but check connectors first u might need a 8 pin to 24 pin connector depending on which optiplex u take the psu out from

I actually did take a look at that SG13 case, but it seems that there is essentially no clearance above the CPU for any decent thermal solution.
Any 120 AIO in a low airflow case may not be up to the task, plus the VRMs will boil without airflow around the socket.

But like I said earlier, I am looking into fully fabricating a DIY case (carrying on from something half fabricated that I have lying around from a stalled project three years ago - made of 18mm thick plywood).
I have made a mock-up of PSU (standard ATX size - 150x140x86) & mITX Mobo fitted to this case in Blender as well, which I shall be posting along with the photograph of the case sometime later tonight to explain my concept.

Deskmini A300 also supports Renoir, Asrock did put in BIOS update and can be found on Reddit if taken down by Asrock
PS: It was beta BIOS to support renoir APUs and lot of positive comments triggered after it was made available - you might need to check forums/reddit discussing the same.
Ruiner had confirmed earlier that this works, and he even tried it on his A300. I have however decided to skip the Deskmini for now and use full standard interchangeable desktop grade components.

Why Fedora? Its not easy for newbies to deal with SELinux and if you're disabling SELinux then there is no point in using Fedora. Ubuntu LTS is the easy way unless newer/updated libraries/packages are necessary. And flatpak solves that problem for end user applications.
I wouldn't call myself an out and out newbie with Linux, given that I have dabbled in it on and off over the past two decades, but yes, I am not as experienced as someone continuously using this OS would be.
I did run debian on a machine for a while, somehow didn't really like it so am looking to explore fedora this time around.

Have u tried elementary os? It's based on ununtu but it's a slick and nice looking os.
Haven't had Linux on any of my machines in the last 3-4 years, and prior to that, had debian on one.
This time around, want to try Fedora, as I don't necessarily want a Windows or Mac replacement easy to use OS, but a fully featured distro.

Anyway, like I promised, here are the photos and renders that I promised.
Photos 1 & 2 of the partially prepared case made of Plywood 1.8 cm thick:
IMG_20210515_012653.jpg
IMG_20210515_012729.jpg

This box is 30 x 29 x 15 cm in size (thus a volume of ~13 litres, good for a SFF)
And a render of the ITX build mock-up that I have thought of:
Mock-Up-Render-1.jpg

Orange/Brown is the Case. Black is the standard 15 x 14 x 8.6 cm ATX PSU. Gray / Brown is a 17 x 17 cm miniITX board with rough layout of Back-IO shield plate area, CPU Cooler and RAM.
I need to cut off a part of the plywood at the bottom to fit the standard 15 cm size of the ATX PSU vertically within the case envelope, but it shouldn't impact the rigidity too much.

The base area, being 26.4 x 29 cm is size can accommodate a micro-ATX board as well, but in that case there is no space to place a PSU directly.
Maybe it can be suspended above one corner of the motherboard, but with sufficient clearance for all Motherboard / CPU / RAM / Cooling, the total height needed might be ~18 to 20 cm instead of the current 15 cm (and of-course, the PSU would need to be horizontal instead of vertical).

I am thinking of making mock-ups of this layout as well, since there are way way more Micro-ATX boards available than Mini-ITX ones. I might be able to find something better suited to my requirements.

comments / suggestions?

actually did take a look at that SG13 case, but it seems that there is essentially no clearance above the CPU for any decent thermal solution.
Any 120 AIO in a low airflow case may not be up to the task, plus the VRMs will boil without airflow around the socket.

Exactly why I mentioned that it would be mini-toaster/oven. Would await your mock-ups.

If u live in delhi , goto lajpat Rai market , I saw very small cooling fans there almost like 2 inch fans , 35 rs a piece , maybe u can install those in here .. like this

I don't think vrm temperature gonna be a problem , provided good airflow cuz it's just a 65 watt cpu on the motherboard , ..if u wan u can actually mount a heatsink on your vrm too (browse YouTube) u can get custom made aluminium heatsinks or just goto some speakers/dj equipment market , u can easily find small heatsinks there , they use it on amplifier boards , just remember to use thermal goo if putting heatsink on vrm...
However if u really wanna diy

Last edited:
A rough one was in the post above, but I took some more time to detail out the mini-ITX plan.
Rear-View:
View attachment 105578
Front-View
View attachment 105579
Top view:
View attachment 105580

The Micro-ATX packaging mock-ups in the same case are still under construction. Will post those too later on.

Looks nice, one query though; If Mobo I/O shield and PSU alignment is on opposite sides, don't you think you would be plugging cables on both front and back ? like in front mobo I/O cables (LAN ? peripherals ? HDMI) and on back side power plug. Do correct me, if I have not understood sketches.

For air-flow; try to arrange 1x front intake (120mm), 1x rear exhaust (80/92mm) and optionally 1x top exhaust (80mm).

Looks nice, one query though; If Mobo I/O shield and PSU alignment is on opposite sides, don't you think you would be plugging cables on both front and back ? like in front mobo I/O cables (LAN ? peripherals ? HDMI) and on back side power plug. Do correct me, if I have not understood sketches.

For air-flow; try to arrange 1x front intake (120mm), 1x rear exhaust (80/92mm) and optionally 1x top exhaust (80mm).
You have very correctly understood the schematics, and this is something that I hadn't given much thought earlier, given that I was fixated on managing the size of the case and fitting the mobo + PSU into it.
Having all the I/O on the backside may be suitable. I think it would make the front side layout a bit cleaner, and also allow me to fix 2x 120 fans as intake there, and have a ton of mesh for exhaust at the backside above the I/O Shield (primarily push config of airflow).
The only niche use-case where I see the other (current layout scheme) working a bit is if I only have power at the back, and use front I/O as a readily accessible connector set like on a laptop (USBs for Keyboard, Mouse; HDMIs for displays. Wi-Fi antenna may be a bit of an eyesore).

I am still not completely decided on this.
if its pure DIY - their might be a possibility of connecting PSU cable from back to the internal exposed connector (male-female C13-C14)
May not be required, but I do have some cables like those lying around that came with a 20 year old APC UPS which did not have standard India-3-Pin-Plug outlets but these type of outlets.

Is case m poora pankha hi pankha laga do , hawa Mahal lagega mast
120mm ke 2 pankhe rakhe huee hain iske liye hi, aur 80mm ke 2-3 to kahin na kahin se nikal hi aayenge. Drone banayenge.

Regarding efficacy of HTPC build for HD and UHD streaming:
There is another thing though, that is bothering me about an HTPC build, especially with Linux OS: Support for Full HD and UHD (in the longer term) playback.
a) Netflix only works in FHD / UHD on Windows + Edge (or the Netflix UWP app)
b) Amazon Prime doesn't work in HD in Linux, and UHD only thru' firestick or TV built in apps (not even on windows)
c) Am still researching Disney+Hotstar behavior, but it too seems sketchy for 4k on PC given the craziness these people have on content protection and copyrights....

All this considered, is it practical to build a full featured HTPC for streaming? @wooka suggested me to go for TVs inbuilt apps for streaming purpose, and reddit seems to suggest Amazon Firestick or Roku...

Need feedback from HTPC users here on TE - is an HTPC build worth it primarily for streaming (don't have any DVDs, Blu-Rays or much local HDD library)?

I gave you the perfect budget performance oriented board suggestion.
Netflix HDR mapping on windows is another nightmare. Just get a firestick 4k or mi box or something. The latter may be faster. The firestick makes me gnaw at the select button, it's so damn slow..

I gave you the perfect budget performance oriented board suggestion.
That is absolutely true... that board has excellent features and is a steal for its price. However, it is out of stock everywhere I think.

Netflix HDR mapping on windows is another nightmare. Just get a firestick 4k or mi box or something. The latter may be faster. The firestick makes me gnaw at the select button, it's so damn slow..
THIS!! I am vehemently opposed to things with limited hardware capabilities or limited interaction - such as not being able to click along the timeline to move videos drives me crazy - which is why I intended to have a PC browser interface for things - but looks like the DRMadness of the OTT services will close that door.

If the HTPC doesn't fit for streaming purpose, I'll go for more standard sized hardware (mATX) and build in my old Cooler Master Case.
Much larger selection of hardware (motherboards) would be available for that, and better value too!
The machine would be a general purpose PC then, for tinkering with Linux, general browsing, watching Youtube, Zoom classes for the kiddo etc.

Back