Budget 31-40k Linux Mini-ITX Build for HTPC / Zoom (kiddo's classes) / General Purpose

Use Wine or lutris to run windows app, running native linux apps feels better atleast to me , but it can take care of your problems I guess . If u don't have any moral obligations u can even install popcorn time/stremio on Linux , they have a similar interface. Try to research about kodi or Plex media server , you might be able to play Netflix and Amazon through them but I doubt hotstar/zee...another important thing , playing 4k with Netflix requires playready3.0 for DRM bullshit , I'm not sure if ryzen apu vega has drivers for it , discrete nvidia gpu do have playready 3.0 drivers . Also 4k Netflix was supported initially by kaby lake cpu only. So idk if amd cpu/apu can play 4k netflix DRM now

Last edited by a moderator:
This entire jumping through the hoops thing is what I want to avoid.
These DRM crazed service providers probably will not recognize Linux as a secure and legit OS, but will provide their best experience on Android (Linux derivative) based TVs or Sticks... the irony....

I think the new 4000G series APUs are OK for 4K technically, limited probably only by OS and App issues.

Thus the idea floated in last post about using standard sized hardware because then it can be a PC only, and need not be a small box near the TV as an HTPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
(don't have any DVDs, Blu-Rays or much local HDD library)
This means primarily OTT platforms for streamed contents. If you need opinion on streaming box, Mi Box is capable enough to handle this. I do not have 4K display so can not comment on 4K part. But it serves me nice for all streaming apps and services. It is basically, fuss-free, minimal setup and easy to navigate for all age groups.

This means primarily OTT platforms for streamed contents. If you need opinion on streaming box, Mi Box is capable enough to handle this. I do not have 4K display so can not comment on 4K part. But it serves me nice for all streaming apps and services. It is basically, fuss-free, minimal setup and easy to navigate for all age groups.
That is true. Primarily OTT services.

Currently I have a Chromecast for the TV, and also 1080p streaming on PC works in browsers (selectively) for all three services. (Amazon, n'flix, D+H).

I was taking into account future requirements when I get a 4K TV.
I think that at suitable time, evaluating TV built in apps, plug in sticks (fire, chrome) and things like the MI box will be the suitable thing to do
Specifically augmenting an upcoming PC build (that is needed for other purposes as well) for OTT Streaming 4K may not be suitable.

I think this thread has served a good purpose of educating me. The build requirements need to be modified to suit the updated use purpose.

Also, on a related note, I just found out that while B550 does not support Ryzen 2000 series CPUs (my 2700X weeps), X570 actually does, and I have the chance of getting a new X570 board (v. expensive, yes), shifting my current main rig onto that board and re-purposing my current B350 board with an el-cheapo 1st gen Ryzen or suitable APU for this second build.
I did some cost mathematics, and considering the upgrade path that X570 will offer from the 2700X to the 5000 series CPUs (and maybe some refresh as well), this option was cheaper than building a fresh entry-level box now and doing a full fresh gaming/workstation build a few years down the line.

Options and confusion go hand in hand, right!!!

Back