Local Body Tax (LBT) creating havoc in Pune

raksrules

Elite
Yes this a rant thread. The Local Body Tax (LBT) thing is causing havoc in Pune city. I am not sure what the case is with other cities (where it is being implemented now) but basic stuff like bread and groceries are unavailable for past 3 days. All shops have their shutter down and some open in early morning but local goons force them close.
At some places Milk is being sold at premium of 100 Rs / Liter :mad:
Luckily at my place, the milk is being sold at normal price but only available till 9 AM in morning, after that everything is shut down for the entire day. Petrol too at 100 Rs / Liter at some places.
We have stocked groceries for this week but if this continues then not sure what happens later. Going today to Reliance Mart which is open hopefully. Their main entrance is closed but backside entry is open through parking lot. Such things happening.
Normal citizens being held at ransom but these traders and goons. And guess what you can still get booze as they are open everywhere but no necessities.
Sick.

It's some sort of Government imposed tax which is to replace Octroi. I don't know everything but it is supposed to bring transparency to the transactions or something which obviously the traders don't want due to less chance of tax free money.
I might be completely wrong and if someone else is more informed please explain.

LBT havoc can go worst. I am residing in New Sangvi area, thankfully we get Milk and other ESSENTIAL products at same rate.

There was LBT in Kolhapur about 1 year back (I am not sure, but LBT strike follows where I go :p). All the shops were closed for around 22 days. It was the most successful strike ever I have seen. We could not get vegetables, food... Every shop was closed (except medicals). Even hotels were closed. I hope it won't last that long in Pune..

Some shops keepers open their shops at Baner Road and Aundh in the evenings though. Reliance Mart here at Aundh opens for 1-2 hours in evening. People rush like Zombies.. :p

@Rahul++

You sure it is 1-2 Hours because today evening i am going to the Aundh Reliance mart. Any idea about timings ? Milk and veggies are there but need to keep stock of some dry snacks and maggie etc stuff. I read that normal milk is also not available at reliance now and only option is toned milk.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's some sort of Government imposed tax which is to replace Octroi. I don't know everything but it is supposed to bring transparency to the transactions or something which obviously the traders don't want due to less chance of tax free money.
I might be completely wrong and if someone else is more informed please explain.
Sadly nothing is bringing transparency....
First they introduced VAT promising of killing Octroi if VAT is enforced.
Two years later VAT + Octroi... both are charged.
Now from April 1 they stop Octroi and enforce LBT. which is massive overhead for all big and small retailers and threatens their normal business.
In LBT every retailer is supposed to keep a invoice(bill) for each and every item that
1)Is brought in the shop.
2)Sold from the shop
3)Is in transit from a dealer to his shop or from his shop to a customer premise.

Apart from this the Municipal Council guys can anytime knock at ur doorstep and ask for invoice for any sale you have made in last 40days.
First entry points in city were responsible to stop and check vehicles and charge them octroi / vehicles declared at the post.
but now the retailer has to keep all this invoices + hire a CA to make all the legal documents and submit them to the PMC(Pune municipal corporation)
every 40 days.
Delays will attract penalties.
Now a extra servant in a retail shop costs around 10k a month. Add the overhead of hiring a CA to do all this documentation stuff every month round the year.
Even after all this there is no transparency on
1)Whether or not these LBT rates are fixed and for what time. They can be increased anytime.
2)The local PMC guys will now threaten the retailers for strict documentations else blackmail them - which will give rise to bribes and blackmoney.
3)Retailers cant stock in shops so they need to invest in warehouses which will eventually decrease their profit margins and increase the cost of goods.
4)Retailers wont bear this burden themselves... which means eventually everything will be passed to the end consumer.

All these extra taxes should have disappeared when VAT was enforced but every govt body is greedy and they want to suck the public dry of the last drop of blood and fill their treasuries.
No one will raise an objection on the wastage of money on BRT routes and their renovation every 2 years.
From yesterday even malls have been told to take part in this strike. Only the eateries and medical shops are not a part of this.
If the fuel pumps and eateries join this strike the govt will pull back in less than 48hours.

And guys dont be pissed off if you have suffered a little bit for last few days.... this might just save us from a long and expensive suffering ahead.
Sorry for the long reply.... but even though I am a salaried professional I have close friends who are business men here in Pune and I see how badly they are affected.

Thanks for the explanation. I read that Reliance is in favor of this LBT and hence the reliance mart is open (in Aundh, Pune at least).
Hope this chaos is resolved soon as this is becoming too much of a nuisance and essential stuff is unavailable.

Even as per the unions on strike the possibility is next to impossible that the LBT will be recalled but they still want to fight against this atrocity.
And guys except for perishables you will still find supplies here or there .... AFAIK Grocery shops, Milk Centers and Vegetable venders are allowed to stay open till 9am. but again business is very limited due to no fresh supply of stock. (Roadside vegetable vendors whole day :) ) There is a fine if any shop is found open.
But spare a moment and think about thousands of daily wage workers working in Market Yard and Mandai.....
They have not earned a single rupee for last 4 days.... and then thr r number or other such examples...

Govt has gone nuts..... They shd be kicked hard on their nuts.... :rage:

@Rahul++

You sure it is 1-2 Hours because today evening i am going to the Aundh Reliance mart. Any idea about timings ? Milk and veggies are there but need to keep stock of some dry snacks and maggie etc stuff. I read that normal milk is also not available at reliance now and only option is toned milk.

Yes, they have toned milk only. I am not sure if they keep it open for 1-2 hours. Colleague told me the same yesterday. I will confirm it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This now calls for a media intervention! But where is the media.. They only look at incidents when they can seem to increase the circulation rates. Common man is a taken for granted "commodity". Even none of the political parties are willing to open their mouths.. Looks like its total apathy!

This now calls for a media intervention! But where is the media.. They only look at incidents when they can seem to increase the circulation rates. Common man is a taken for granted "commodity". Even none of the political parties are willing to open their mouths.. Looks like its total apathy!
NCP and MH Congress has taken active interest in controlling the media exposure of this even..... They have made sure that the TV media does not cover this..... Though some printed media (Pune editions) did cover this story.
Surprisingly Even TOI did not have this news on the main page.....
MH state elections are due sometime next year... Even if 54L ppl are affected the Govt will not care.... All they care is revenue generation to fill their pockets.....

Or to summarize my entire post:
"Its Congress and NCP rule in Maharashtra."

TOI ... Please don't talk about them .. Just another crap to live with! They are another bunch of self braggers!

What is the ground situation, is horrible; common man is held ransom to the agitating traders and shopkeepers! What to do when food supplies run out?
How to find milk, atta, bread, sugar? Should I travel another 3hours all the way to Mumbai to fulfill for my needs? Its the fourth day and still no respite! Govt is tight lipped on the issue and playing their cards safe, the irony is that only a few people are really talking about it, for the others looks like holiday just came too early!

I would advice, take an initiative become a citizen journalist. Record the whole video about the plight faced due to this and send it to www.ibnlive.com
May be this might help.

P.S - Also upload on Facebook...the best way to inform the world

Reliance Mart in Aundh also seems to be open but Dmart is not. Medical stores are open but general stores not open at all.
Best bet for people in Aundh is to go to reliance mart.
Also rather than buying expensive milk from someone who is selling in black, buy from reliance etc, the toned milk. Buy more if you are concerned as it is the toned milk have shelf life of 6 months or so.

This LBT thing was met with similar bandh in my area a year back in Feb i think. dont know if it was implemented or not, but all shops and those vegetable sellers in open market were closed for almost a week. I was getting an inverter shipped to my home and it was held up at naka for 2 days because of this LBT.

This LBT thing was met with similar bandh in my area a year back in Feb i think. dont know if it was implemented or not, but all shops and those vegetable sellers in open market were closed for almost a week. I was getting an inverter shipped to my home and it was held up at naka for 2 days because of this LBT.
Are you from Kolhapur? LBT Strike happened in Kolhapur one year back. Shops were closed for like 20 days.

oh. it must have been implemented secretly in the year that passed. same thing will happen in pune too then. they'll stop the bandh saying they wont implement it and then pass it after a few months when everyone's forgot about it.

Back