WTB Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Hello everyone!

i wish to get a Logitech SBT (preferably from 2nd owners). i want to use it for music-playback on my floorstanders in conjuction with my amp. main purpose is to use its DAC (and wireless-streaming of music). i already have an offer for the Squeezebox Classic; however, wish to try for the SBT first. i have seen some SBTs selling for ~12k on forums 1-2 years back. keeping that in mind, am resting my hope on getting an offer for one at about 9-10k. if any owner who might be reading this, and is either not using the SBT currently, or wishes to upgrade (may be to a Transporter, or to a dedicated DAC), please do consider contacting me. :)

thanks!

I hope you're aware that SBT has been discontinued and since then the prices of the SBT in the second hand markets have hit the roof. You'd hardly get one for less than 18-20K if someone is willing to sell !!!

I hope you're aware that SBT has been discontinued and since then the prices of the SBT in the second hand markets have hit the roof. You'd hardly get one for less than 18-20K if someone is willing to sell !!!

yes, thats why was resting my hopes on 2nd owners (had seen some used SBTs selling for ~12-13k on another forum a little more than an year back), thinking that may be there's one among them, who, not using his SBT much, would wish to sell his device, not intending to earn profit over it. :)
after some earlier owners suggested a price of 10-12k to me for getting a used one, i thought of putting up the thread, perhaps too optimistically, but did so nonetheless. but my hope is waning now. will get the Classic soon. would just keep looking for a while more till then.

hey, we discussed your purchase on Hfv too... why are you in favour of the SBT over the classic? Is it for the screen or the internal DAC's quality?

hey, we discussed your purchase on Hfv too... why are you in favour of the SBT over the classic? Is it for the screen or the internal DAC's quality?

Hello!
its mostly to do with its DAC only, and less about the screen, even though i dont know whether i would be able to discern the difference in the DACs of the two on my present set-up.

exactly.... discount the screen. unless you are placing it close to you, it wont be of much use. You'll pay for the cable runs as well.
You'll end up using this with your phone/tablet/computer anyway, its just more convenient that way.

Save the 6k and spend it on a DAC later, that will give a better result.

exactly.... discount the screen. unless you are placing it close to you, it wont be of much use. You'll pay for the cable runs as well.
You'll end up using this with your phone/tablet/computer anyway, its just more convenient that way.

Save the 6k and spend it on a DAC later, that will give a better result.

sorry, but didn't understand your point fully. i would be using the Classic anyway with PC/NAS, and will have atleast an ethernet-cable running till the placement-spot. my concern was about the difference in quality of the internal DACs of both (Classic vs the SBT). a dedicated DAC/good CDp would be better than the SBT, but most of my music-collection is in the form of MP3s/FLACs, hence wired/wireless transport is what am looking for presently. am clueless on what i would use as a source-player even if i manage to get something like Arcam/Naim/Rega DAC in the future.

i meant more in terms of the unit you will be using to play and navigate. I use my phone and tablet. Its very convenient.

The SBT's display is of not much use in such cases.

As for the DAC... the SBT dac is good, but nowhere nearly as good as the other budget DACs you can buy (<20k),

So, if i were you, i'd buy the classic and invest in a decent DAC.

Btw, whats the rest of the chain?

i meant more in terms of the unit you will be using to play and navigate. I use my phone and tablet. Its very convenient.

The SBT's display is of not much use in such cases.

As for the DAC... the SBT dac is good, but nowhere nearly as good as the other budget DACs you can buy (<20k),

So, if i were you, i'd buy the classic and invest in a decent DAC.

Btw, whats the rest of the chain?

alright. i get it now. thanks! with a dedicated DAC in the chain, the squeezebox's own internal DAC would be by-passed, isn't it?! could you please name a few budget-DACs?

even i want to use my phone for controlling the playback (with'squeezeplay', or something like that). and the chain comprises of a PC, a seagate goflex home NAS (with logitech media/squeezebox server), a TP-link TL-WNDR3600 router, a HiMedia HD900B media player, which am currently using for music-playback (and which would be later discarded when i will get the Classic), a DNM Audio A777 amp, and a set of custom-built floorstanders, a short review on which i hope to put up tomorrow.

Yup, you will use the optical / coax out to bypass the DAC.

Budget DACs... a simple google will reveal names such as Audioquest Dragon Fly, DacMagic, Arcam rDac, Asus' dac for ~20k.

Check on Hfv, they have decent DACs going for 15k+.

However, i am not sure a DAC will add much value with the DNM amp... is the amp + speaker combo resolving enough?

Would suggest that you borrow a DAC and experiment objectively before buying one, i think your next 20k would be better spent on upgrading the amp.

Yup, you will use the optical / coax out to bypass the DAC.

Budget DACs... a simple google will reveal names such as Audioquest Dragon Fly, DacMagic, Arcam rDac, Asus' dac for ~20k.

Check on Hfv, they have decent DACs going for 15k+.

However, i am not sure a DAC will add much value with the DNM amp... is the amp + speaker combo resolving enough?

Would suggest that you borrow a DAC and experiment objectively before buying one, i think your next 20k would be better spent on upgrading the amp.

yes, you are correct! with my previous speakers, this amp used to gel well. but now with the new ones with better components, the charm seems amiss to me. may be am wrong, but at the place of the person from whom i got these built, the speakers were sounding terrific with his set-up; however, at my place, they don't put out the sound with the same magic and power as they were doing it there, so i feel that perhaps the amp is to be blamed, although it seems to be well-capable of providing good power to the towers.
will plan to get a better amp and pre-amp sometime later next, or perhaps a good AVR.

Last edited:
DIY speakers are very very subjective and a risky bit in my opinion.... they are however good value if you are on a budget.

Anyway, make sure you try the amp at your place before deciding to buy it.... look for used amps on hfv, especially from FMs who are in your city.

I use the arcam rdac with rwave. The rwave is a USB thing that hooks up directly in my Synology NAS and streams music to my DAC. The DAC stays with my Amplifier in another room. And I can control all my music using a synology android app. Can't beat the convenience you get with no wires anywhere.

Had the squeezebox with me for sometime but somewhat didnt work for me. I find the current arcam combo lot easier to work with and of course better sounding.

Its like 900Gigs of music, at your fingertips, controlled via my note-2. And all that with the Arcam sound.

thanks! i got the Squeezebox Classic.
any idea for how much could i get a used rdac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back