Audio Logitech Z5500 or Edifier S550/750?

swift

Disciple
So I started looking around for a good 5.1 setup for my living room, and ran into a wall of Z5500 recommendations. But digging through it I found it has a rather boomy bass, and I prefer my bass to be thumpy. A friend of mine suggested the Edifiers to me, but I'm having a lot of trouble find them, or even their prices(street prices, not MRP) in India.

I'm also a bit of a mellow guy, I don't like very high volumes, so performance at high volumes is not relevant to me.

I hear the S550 are available at around 16k, and Z5500 at a similar price. Is there any information available about the S750's cost?

Here's some general info about my usage:

connected to my TV, PS3 and 360, preferably with optical.

50% games, 30% movies and 20% music.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

edit: It would also be helpful if someone knows where I could give them both a try in Bangalore.

oh.. i see 50% as games.. for games especially with DX entry level sound with z5500. I say that the best setup for Games.

If you are kinda like watch boom boom movies like 2012, die-hard..etc..etc.. the above setup is still good

if you are hard rock metal guy..again this is good one..

anything which is out of the boundary here.. I say there are a lot of Audio Gurus.. Ping them

My 2 cents

eBRo

manu george said:
want a 5.1 s550 is reallly amazing+xonar dx or any good sound card dont want surround go for s750, no need to compare s550 with z5500
You're confusing the S750 with the S730. The S750 is a 5.1 version of the S730. It's not listed in Edifier.in.

Also do note that S550, is a pure analog 5.1, whereas Z5500 has digital inputs as well.

For powerful and bit boomy bass> Z5500

more balanced overall sound> S550

dOm1naTOr said:
Also do note that S550, is a pure analog 5.1, whereas Z5500 has digital inputs as well.

For powerful and bit boomy bass> Z5500

more balanced overall sound> S550
Isn't there a digital input model called the S550D?

^z5500 its really old now.but s550 comes with sealed surround speakers and subwoofer is also sealed type with two passive radiators
if you want a sound that is close to the audiophile go for s550
if you want """"""""" big bang then go for z5500
z5500=sound quantity
s550=sound quality
I have z5300 earlier they are really good but I found lots of faults in that.z5500 sounds just like it

z5500 are way better than the z5300 ...way better ....no comparison
ypu should not judge z5500 based on the z5300..no
for movies and games they are best suited.

from my experience I hate the boomy sound of logitech but swift wants optical so go for z5500, s550d is not coming this year sure
but dont compare s550 with z5500 in terms of sound quality, s550 is unbeatable

boomy sound has its uses in games and movies ....and with good quality input z5500 are really good.
they sure have a lot of bass quantity ...that doesnot mean they are lackluster with treble and midrange.

well i have not heard the s550 bso cant compare but as a speaker set ....they are great ( and better than their competetors that i have tried)

many poeple says their logitech z5500 died:mad:.In TE I found lots of threads regarding this.
@strategy if you are saying z5500 having good mid and treble then you have to hear s550:cool2: and have to understand the difference, then you will never even think about logitech:ashamed:

Where did u hear that? I haven't heard anyone say that...personally I have never seen a z5500 die and I had one myself for 7-8 months
Z5500 do have issues with the backlight on the control pod which does dead during the 1st 6 months (usually)... but it has no impact on the functioning of the speakers as such..just a cosmetic loss
manu george said:
many poeple says their logitech z5500 died:mad:.In TE I found lots of threads regarding this.

I'm using Z5500 from past 3yrs and subwoofer is not working only because rats invaded it :(

And regarding boomy bass in z5500, you can lower the bass from the control pad and then it is very good..tight :)

manu george said:

@strategy if you are saying z5500 having good mid and treble then you have to hear s550:cool2: and have to understand the difference, then you will never even think about logitech:ashamed:
I'm using since 2yrs

only the LCD bulb died but it's manageable without it thus didn't RMA it

From my experience I found z5500 subwoofer producing noise after 6months of use.sub woofer produce some low burr burr sound which make the sound bad but these things are important only when you want the natural bass.edifier s550 is not producing big bangs but you will love it after day to day use and then you will say I cant live without my s550, that kind of sweet sound is coming from s550.an excellent sound card is also needed (minimum xonar dx)

I have z5300,alteclansing mx5021,fx5051 and vs3251 before, and my friends and relatives own z5500,onkyo,denon and brands like sony,pioneeer,panasonic etc.I have long time experience with these speakers. I found onkyo is not suited for music, denon also not the best, but s550 produce heavenly sound for music and better bass than onkyo.bass same to denon, and s550 comes under 20k where denon at 40k

for movies it beats onkyo and very close to denon.

Back