CPU/Mobo Look what I went and did !!

eazy, severe ghosting can also look like double mouse cursors, discoloration can also be a lcd problem, so ask them either to take that spare crt out or let them wait till you are fit.

ask them to tighten all cables, provide ventilation etc.

what about temp's of gpu etc, can they tell you that :(

dipdude said:
eazy, severe ghosting can also look like double mouse cursors, discoloration can also be a lcd problem, so ask them either to take that spare crt out or let them wait till you are fit.

ask them to tighten all cables, provide ventilation etc.

what about temp's of gpu etc, can they tell you that :(

Like I said they have only 2 days back put it in an attic and they are reluctant to get the monitor down in a hurry - so when they do that I will talk them thru changing monitors and see what the "chakkar" is.

Their clinic is kept quite cold - 21C - so I doubt it is a heat issue with the display card unless the fan has stopped. The side panels of their case are always quite cold to touch - so I presume the parts inside are well within the required temp.

I dont think I am going to be fit in a hurry - Osteoarthritis in the right leg. So I will probably ask them to send the computer over on the weekend. They are in the building next to mine.

I dont think the cheap old ASUS Geforce 1 Display card in their computer has the capability to give its temp readouts - I know my ASUS Geforce 4200 Ti does not support this.

A Question : can a virus do this blinking of the display ? The Male Dentist opens each and every email that is sent to his Hotmail address - he refuses to listen to my warnings about doing this. He even clicks on all links on pages he visits - specially those that say stuff like "click here for your free prize/gift". Many times I have had to clean viruses off their computer. :mad:

A Question : can a virus do this blinking of the display ? The Male Dentist opens each and every email that is sent to his Hotmail address - he refuses to listen to my warnings about doing this. He even clicks on all links on pages he visits - specially those that say stuff like "click here for your free prize/gift". Many times I have had to clean viruses off their computer.

Not the symptoms in question, anyways just to be on safer side ask them to run a/v & a/s. he must be damn greedy ;) to click for free gifts.

maybe you can ask them to update the graphics drivers, check the disk for errors etc. by any chance does the board have onboard gpu ?

sorry about your Osteoarthritis, get well soon mate.

p.s - update us on the weekend adventure.

:rofl:..........

at last Eazy got entangled by doctor. (not for his but for doctors problem and its a very notorious situation to deal with)

no to the problem

my 2 cents
first thing comes in my mind is loose contacts as sometimes some awkward position or distant shoot site so that cable may have been stretched.

aging monitor as filckring and ghosting does happen with older monitors even lcds

if the problem is with gfx card then it has to be some loose solder some where because if the fan and temperature is the culprit then i do not think for a blink of second it goes out and comes back.

last a thought

if there is leakage of current somewhere in their wiring and the monitor is suppied separately from main board then it may be a voltage drag problem of xray machine (x-ray machine is an electricity hog) so ask them
whether the problem arises just after shooting an x-ray
whether they have any ups or not if not then the monitor must be supplied with separate plug.
whether the power cord of monitor is ok and not cracked

why i am talking this nonsense because i know the doctors using computer and they do not even know the basics of computing even if they studied the fundamentals of science at hsc levels :p
hope this helps

medpal said:
my 2 cents
first thing comes in my mind is loose contacts as sometimes some awkward position or distant shoot site so that cable may have been stretched.

aging monitor as filckring and ghosting does happen with older monitors even lcds

if the problem is with gfx card then it has to be some loose solder some where because if the fan and temperature is the culprit then i do not think for a blink of second it goes out and comes back.

last a thought

if there is leakage of current somewhere in their wiring and the monitor is suppied separately from main board then it may be a voltage drag problem of xray machine (x-ray machine is an electricity hog) so ask them
whether the problem arises just after shooting an x-ray
whether they have any ups or not if not then the monitor must be supplied with separate plug.
whether the power cord of monitor is ok and not cracked

why i am talking this nonsense because i know the doctors using computer and they do not even know the basics of computing even if they studied the fundamentals of science at hsc levels :p
hope this helps
Keeping with Murphy's law - the problem started on a Saturday and the Lady Dentist phoned me about it - but as they work half day Saturday it was decided I should come over on Monday and my Leg gave way on Sunday so I never saw the problem myself. The Dentists are abs nOObs with any such problem and half the time they even describe problems on their computer totally inaccurately :(

By the way they are really good friends of mine - I never charge them for any work I do on their computers and they dont charge me for Dental work :) I have one of the worst set of teeth you can ever see - so I am the winner in this deal. I used to swim a lot so the chlorine in the pools water damaged my teeth.

Their clinic has been very recently rewired and I supervised the wiring myself - Finolex extra heavy wires and a good brand of power wall switches and they use a Powercom 600w UPS. They have 3 Dental chairs (there are 3 Dentists - PAPA MAMA and DAUGHTER). Each Chair has its own X-Ray machine.

The problem arises during Surfing or listening to MP3's or even with nothing at all running. I have to see the problem myself - I asked them early today morning to try out the CRT monitor but they have not done it yet. I suppose they were too busy torturing people today.

These Dentists are abs cleanliness fanatics and they have 2 maids whose job it is daily clean everything in the clinic including the computer - these maids actually lift the computers and dust under them every day - I have often asked them not to get this done but they do not agree. So possibly like you say the cabinet may have been lifted and the monitors cable yanked and made a bad contact - I did ask them to check the connections but that may be too much to expect for them to check perfectly.

Here is what happenend today....

The computer was finally brought over and when I started it I saw that whenever the mouse was moved the display would blank out for 10 seconds and when display came back there were 3 extra mouse pointers imbedded on the screen. The temperatures were normal.

I removed the display card and cleaned it thoroughly - used a glass fibre tip pencil on the cards contacts - and cleaned the AGP socket too - gave it real good brush n blow job. :)

The mouse was being used as PS2 changed that to a USB.

And the computer now works fine !!!

Q.E.D.

EDIT: Just realised I have gone and lost a sale of a new computer by fixing this computer :D But of course they are so happy I now have a lifetime free Dental plan.

Eazy, glad you sorted it out & cograts on your life time dental plan :)

as for the mystery, was it because of the graphics card or the mouse, as you said you changed the mouse from ps2 to usb ?

or both ?

Eazy said:
I removed the display card and cleaned it thoroughly - used a glass fibre tip pencil on the cards contacts - and cleaned the AGP socket too - gave it real good brush n blow job. :)

Thanks Eazy.

It solved my problem also.

:hap2: :clap: :eek:hyeah: :D

dipdude said:
was it because of the graphics card or the mouse

<<SHRUG>> could be either of these 2 which caused the problem. I did not take the trouble of finding out. It worked so I did not bother to troubleshoot. Could have been the mouse as it was attached with that horrible USB to PS2 adapter.

could be either of these 2 which caused the problem. I did not take the trouble of finding out. It worked so I did not bother to troubleshoot. Could have been the mouse as it was attached with that horrible USB to PS2 adapter
;) i am thinking on the same lines, anyways nice work :cheers:
p.s - your graphics card cleaning helped udit, so something good has come out :)

Back