Audio Looking for 2.1 speakers (better than my Altec Lansing MX5021)

deadman_uk

Disciple
Hi all,

My wonderful Altec Lansing MX5021 2.1 speakers just died and I need to find a new replacement for my PC (Music, movies and games). Since they don't sell these anymore, and I want to buy new (so I get a warranty), what 2.1 speakers would you recommend? I am not interested in 5.1 and 7.1 as I do not have the space so please do not recommend these. I understand the MX6021 will be out soon but the MX5021 have a frequency response of 30Hz to 22kHz where the newer MX6021 has a response of only 40Hz - 20KHz? I don't know much about speakers but why would anyone go with the MX6021? They cannot reproduce as greater range as the MX5021 or have I got this all wrong?

It is important that the response of the 2.1 speakers are equal or greater than the MX5021. I do not want to get speakers that sound worse than what just broke.

2 Speakers that interest me are:

- Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 (not sure if you can still buy these new)
- Creative GigaWorks T3 2.1

But both are these responses are worse than the MX5021 (30Hz - 20KHz instead of 30Hz to 22KHz). Does this mean they will sound worse? I live in the UK by the way and my budget is £150.

I heard the 2.0 M-Audio AV40's are good but their frequency response: 85Hz - 20kHz. This sounds bad to me considering the typical human ear can hear between 20Hz - 20Khz....

MX 5021's are indeed one of the best sounding desktop speakers in their range. I love my modded set :D.

One more thing I would like to point out is , dont judge a speaker set or any audio gear for that matter based on technical specs or figures , most of the time it doesn't relate to how good a speaker sounds.

The Kilpsch Pro Media 2.1 were regarded as one of the best 2.1s but sadly they are not in production any more ..and the newer GMX pro media are not as good as the former.

The M-Audio AV-40 is a good choice .Also check out the Cambridge SoundWorks Extreme 2.1 :)

FaH33m said:
MX 5021's are indeed one of the best sounding desktop speakers in their range. I love my modded set :D.
One more thing I would like to point out is , dont judge a speaker set or any audio gear for that matter based on technical specs or figures , most of the time it doesn't relate to how good a speaker sounds.

The Kilpsch Pro Media 2.1 were regarded as one of the best 2.1s but sadly they are not in production any more ..and the newer GMX pro media are not as good as the former.

The M-Audio AV-40 is a good choice .Also check out the Cambridge SoundWorks Extreme 2.1 :)

Hi,

When I originally purchased the MX5021 in 2006, I almost went with the Pro Media 2.1, but I hear the MX5021 is SLIGHTLY better (it's very close). They are discontinued now so unless I buy used, I don't think I can get hold of them. I've been hearing very good things about the M-Audio AV40 but they are 2.0 meaning I need to buy a separate subwoofer... something I really know nothing about (can you help here?)

I cannot find a UK retailer that sells the Cambridge SoundWorks Extreme 2.1, can you?

MX-6021 is crap when compared to MX-5021.

Look for Razer Mako 2.1. These speakers have a unique design and are high quality THX certified set. Reviews are good too about these.

desiibond said:

Look for Razer Mako 2.1. These speakers have a unique design and are high quality THX certified set. Reviews are good too about these.

How can the MX6021 be called the successor to the MX5021? Just marketing?
I know the Mako are good but you didn't take into consideration my budget. The Mako completely blow my budget... they are just too expensive.

jennifer123 said:
I have yamaha hs10m with hs50m and i love this 2.1 setup.

That setup is triple my budget :no:

The Technical Specs don't say much in real world performance.

"which of these two speakers sounds better: Speaker A with a frequency response range of 45Hz to 18kHz or, Speaker B with a range of 20Hz to 25kHz? The truth is there's simply not enough data in these numbers to know anything of value. Taken out of context and without other data, a simple set of numbers don't tell you much about real world sound quality. But people make audio buying decisions based on published specifications, such as the frequency response spec, everyday."

You can go through the below links also

Understanding Speaker Frequency Response

Understanding Loudspeaker Frequency Response — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Now coming to our speakers(MX6021)..Just have a demo and see for yourself as these are newly launched not many would have experienced the sound quality from them.

Compared to MX5021(90W RMS) these have 200W RMS So definitely they are powerful.

Since they are also having a mid range driver and Tweeter they are supposed to be good( They are also accompanied by a large subwoofer). But some of the reviews have given them average ratting.

Bottom Line: But for around 200$ there are much better options instead of PC speakers. Just tell the usage first then the Audio Guru's will give their suggestions

Thanks himakanth,

I really believe getting a pair of bookshelf speakers like the M-Audio AV40 and Behringer MS40 would be the best choice but overall I feel they really need a subwoofer to go with them. I am having an incredibly hard time finding a good sub in the UK to go with either of these bookshelf speakers, nor do I know how to set them up correctly and what wires to buy. I've heard others say you may need an amp and DAC (not sure what these do...) as well, further increasing the complexity and price of this. It's just too much hassle, plus they would probably take up way more desk space than I would like as well. Sigh...

After reading this review, I think I have an idea of what I want to go for now. Before reading that review, I never heard of the Logitech Z-Cinema but it got a good review there and also other websites I've read say it's pretty damn good plus it comes with a 2 year warranty. If I don't get the Z-Cinema, it would be the Creative Gigaworks T3 but I am having a hard time finding this speaker in stock in the UK, it is also more expensive and only comes with a 1 year warranty.

The Razor Mako really peeked my interest and has good reviews everywhere but it's £100 over my budget so I will have to drop that. I am no longer considering the MX6021, it just isn't good enough and the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 I can't find anywhere in the UK for sale. I contacted Klipsch UK and they said they have some on order due in early next year (too long of a wait for me, I need some speakers now).

So yeah, I think I will go with the Logitech Z-Cinema, if not it would be the Creative Gigaworks T3.

I hear the Logitech Z-Cinema cannot be connected directly to the sound card, is this true? If so, how am I able to get sound? I want to be able to use my Creative XtremeMusic sound card with this...

sg3707 said:
^^ Just curious...
How did u connect USB Speakers to ur sound card...and how are these compared to 5021

I haven't had much time to test them properly but all seems good. Bass seems a bit strong, even when it's turned down a lot, and volume overall is a lot lower than the MX5021. I cannot say if they are better than the MX5021 but they certainly aren't worse.

I used the 3.55mm audio cable from the MX5021 and connected it to the sound card and the Logitech Auxiliary port on the speaker. Unfortunely, you can't use their Trusound feature via Auxiliary connection.

deadman_uk said:
I haven't had much time to test them properly but all seems good. Bass seems a bit strong, even when it's turned down a lot, and volume overall is a lot lower than the MX5021. I cannot say if they are better than the MX5021 but they certainly aren't worse.

I used the 3.55mm audio cable from the MX5021 and connected it to the sound card and the Logitech Auxiliary port on the speaker. Unfortunely, you can't use their Trusound feature via Auxiliary connection.
If anyone has any info about MX5021 in Delhi, please let me know. I am intersted in buying one for me. Have already checked Nehru Place last Saturday, but all in vain no one had it in stock.

Chandan

desiibond said:

Tested the Mako - bass heavy POS.
Nothing beats the MX5021, unless you want an entry level amp + speaker setup. But that'll cost more.

OP: Congrats on the new speakers

I dont know what happened to you altec mx 5021 is one of the best speakers.. they even beat high end too, if you want more please pray to god he will give you

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

mx 6021 more bassy and clarity lacks a lil bit than mx 5021

I have been using Logitech Z 2300 2.1 for around 1 year now and believe that they are one of the best 2.1 THX certified speakers to date in their range. Any one wid same hola????

Back