Looking for a Gaming Laptop around 60K +- 3K

Hi..

I currently own a dell 1530 laptop and its almost nearing its death ..:( , so planning to sell this one and get a new one..

I got a offer for 15K , but i think i might get another 5K if possible..

anyway looking for a gaming laptop for around 60K

I did plan to go for dell XPS again [sandy bridge] and planned to include 2gb 540 , FHD dispplay , backlit KB , rest as suck as stock... and price cae around 63K ..

is there anyother laptop .. ? I heard 540 is not a great GFX card..:( is it true ?

here are my few queries:S

1.) Will there be a new design to current XPS series... the design is ugly if you compare it with 1530 ..

2.) Is going for i7 really worth ?

3.) Will there be a new graphics card in dell series in the corner ? ie wait for a new GFX card ? better than 540 .. or even ATI in dell

The GT-540 is not a great card.

1. Now new design for the new XPS series.

2. Sandy-bridge i7 is worth, older i7 is not worth (battery life issues)

3. New XPS 17 will come with optional GT-555M , New Inspiron series too has poor choice of GPUs.

pauldmps said:
The GT-540 is not a great card.

1. Now new design for the new XPS series.

2. Sandy-bridge i7 is worth, older i7 is not worth (battery life issues)

3. New XPS 17 will come with optional GT-555M , New Inspiron series too has poor choice of GPUs.

thanks a lot for replying .. you meant , No new design for xps models na ?

yes heard i7 is better .... but any config with i7 shoots up beyond 65K , thats why i asked is i7 really a worth a take .. i saw CPUmark score for i5 / i7 dell is offering and i5 has 3300+ mark and i7 has 6000+ mark .. my current core 2 duo has around 1100+ :D .. there are about CPU crunching numbers .. but will htere be marked improvement in day to day normal activites.. ?

I am not interested in 17" screen paul ... i want only 15" screen .. its convinient ... ..

Many thanks for the replies man..

rite said:
MSi GX 620/640 with core i5 + 5850 costs 55-60k
MSI Global ? Notebook - GX640 , i went through , but there is no mention of the processor , i mean the exact CPU used.. is there a wbsite to comapre two GFX card .. like 540 and 5850 ?

does this model have a backlit keyboard ?

Thanks a lot rite...

Naveen_Reloaded said:
thanks a lot for replying .. you meant , No new design for xps models na ?

Yup!

yes heard i7 is better .... but any config with i7 shoots up beyond 65K , thats why i asked is i7 really a worth a take .. i saw CPUmark score for i5 / i7 dell is offering and i5 has 3300+ mark and i7 has 6000+ mark .. my current core 2 duo has around 1100+ :D .. there are about CPU crunching numbers .. but will htere be marked improvement in day to day normal activites.. ?

As you can see, the i7 is twice as fast as the i5. So get the best than your budget can accommodate.

I am not interested in 17" screen paul ... i want only 15" screen .. its convinient ... ..

The current GPU choices for the XPS are GT-525M & GT-540M. Both are disappointing. I also don't prefer the 17" laptop. Tad large & heavy.

That is why it is better to wait for the other brands. I'm specifically looking forward to Lenovo Y570 with GT-555M.
is there a wbsite to comapre two GFX card .. like 540 and 5850 ?

Here it is:

Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Check the GPUs you want to compare & click on "Restrict".

pauldmps said:
Yup!

As you can see, the i7 is twice as fast as the i5. So get the best than your budget can accommodate.

The current GPU choices for the XPS are GT-525M & GT-540M. Both are disappointing. I also don't prefer the 17" laptop. Tad large & heavy.

That is why it is better to wait for the other brands. I'm specifically looking forward to Lenovo Y570 with GT-555M.
Here it is:

Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Check the GPUs you want to compare & click on "Restrict".
thnks for the link..i am going through the GPU performance of 540 and 5850 and 5850 is atleast 10% more faster on average... or atleast 20%..

5850 is currently on MSI 6 series.. shall itake it ? but as i said , there is no mention of which CPU they got in there ... all the site says is i5 series .. also no idea about ram .. one good thing is they are using gddr5 for GPU ..

i dont know which one to take.. dell has good onisite service and good reputation and better buy back mainly for thier extended service .., but the design is horrible... may be on pictures ... could feel and look pretty in real.. but as you said GFX used are pretty above average...

5850 is currently on MSI 6 series.. shall itake it ? b

The HD5850 is equivalent to a slowed down desktop HD5770..

THe cpu core i5 480m is more than enough for gaming on the go(i7 is power hog and the slow quad core is actually worse for gaming than a faster dual core)

comp@ddict said:
The HD5850 is equivalent to a slowed down desktop HD5770..

THe cpu core i5 480m is more than enough for gaming on the go(i7 is power hog and the slow quad core is actually worse for gaming than a faster dual core)
SB has rectified it and Quads are as good as duals for gaming. Power efficiency of SB quad is much better than last gen.

Acer doesnt have one good gaming laptop...

Asus gaming laptops are there , but no idea about thier price , and online sites dont have the latest price

Dell has online buying and modding option , but as you guys said , 540M is giving me second opinions

MSI has good ones , again there is no price list , CPU model

Guys help me.. is there any good online site to refer for price ? also any specific laptop models ? apart from dell is there any company offereing on-site service ?

Naveen_Reloaded said:
Acer doesnt have one good gaming laptop...

Asus gaming laptops are there , but no idea about thier price , and online sites dont have the latest price

Dell has online buying and modding option , but as you guys said , 540M is giving me second opinions

MSI has good ones , again there is no price list , CPU model

Guys help me.. is there any good online site to refer for price ? also any specific laptop models ? apart from dell is there any company offereing on-site service ?
ASUS doesn't have even a single good gaming laptop? Which world do you live in dude?

@^^

Rather than posting smart-a$$ and snide comments, why don't you contribute something and post the link to those gaming laptops?

@OP - I am in the same dilemma. 540M is out of the question, so looking at other options.

@naveen- Its dreamcatcher here. :)

Sorry for barging but can anyone tell me where to get MSI lappys in kolkata or for that matter anywhere? Its a shame they dont have proper coverage across india else their lappys are some of the best i have seen.

blkrb0t said:
ASUS doesn't have even a single good gaming laptop? Which world do you live in dude?

I didnt say anywhere in my comment that ASUS has no good gaming laptop... infact i said G series is better , but only cant find the price for it... i think misread my reply .. i said its acer which doesnt have good gaming laptop as far a thier worthless site and design is concerned ... if there is any , please do point out... i am not here to argue who is better , i just want a laptop with bang for bucks....

phoenix844884 said:
@^^

Rather than posting smart-a$$ and snide comments, why don't you contribute something and post the link to those gaming laptops?

@OP - I am in the same dilemma. 540M is out of the question, so looking at other options.

thanks man... after goign through few sites and benchmarks , 540M looks very pale.. dont know why dell is offereing such sorry state GFX for high end laptop... may be because they had heat issue with 8600GT M few years back , for which they had to release a new BIOS etc .. they want to play safe , may be..

anyway please do reply here if you find a good laptop and if our budget are same....

catcherintherye said:
@naveen- Its dreamcatcher here. :)

Sorry for barging but can anyone tell me where to get MSI lappys in kolkata or for that matter anywhere? Its a shame they dont have proper coverage across india else their lappys are some of the best i have seen.
i think you wont part with the "catch" part .... :lol: ... yes MSI / asus dont have good support... thats the main reason i had to go for dell which has excellent onsite service even to my place ...

do catch me on FB buddy... it seems X10 bootloader is cracked..

DarkAngel said:
SB has rectified it and Quads are as good as duals for gaming. Power efficiency of SB quad is much better than last gen.
biggest problem and the reason why i didnt suggest sb quads,

it makes the difference between a 60k laptop with a GPU like HD6490M/GT540 and a 60k laptop with HD5850M.

No prizes for guessing which laptop will game better

just now ....

it seems the price has some what dipped and dell is offering a new i7 processor ..

eEv3n.png

so for the price of i5 they were offering yesterday , they have changed to i7 :-D

shall go with it ? ie i7 + 540M GFX card ? or still should i go for 5850M gfx card from other company like msi / asus ?

there's a vast difference between 540M and 5850. And without any doubt 5850 will pwn 540M.

540M

Also SMC is gonna bring some nicely configed MSI gaming/ performance lappies.

check this thread out, or contact them.

But I would strongly suggest for a 70K price tag, and basic requirement as gaming, do not go with XPS, coz with same price tag you are getting sandy bridge + super cards like 5870 and 5850

crossbow said:
there's a vast difference between 540M and 5850. And without any doubt 5850 will pwn 540M.

540M

Also SMC is gonna bring some nicely configed MSI gaming/ performance lappies.

check this thread out, or contact them.

But I would strongly suggest for a 70K price tag, and basic requirement as gaming, do not go with XPS, coz with same price tag you are getting sandy bridge + super cards like 5870 and 5850
i have went through those review plenty of time ..surely , as i said previously , 5850 is atleast 10-20% higher in performance ... since today morning dell is offering a i7 for the yesterday price of i5 , i thought , should i stick to i7 +540[dell] or still go for other brands ?

my budget is very restricted buddy .. also current laptop might go for lower price than my previous expectation .. so 60-+3K is the max... :(

check out Y560-last config in the list

HP DV6-6017tx

don't know the price though.

2 of 3 Asus gaming lappies available in India

Asus G53Jw

Asus G73Jh

There are sure chances that these two will be more then 65K

2 of 4 MSI gaming lappies available in India

MSI GT680

MSI GX640

Again may be more then 65K

Also, just checked Dell XPS 15's config, and it's not bad. And also taking 540 solely in to account, you sure will be able to play games like crysis 2 and bulletstorm or portal 2 or brink at med setting flawlessly. Reviews are suggesting that you may be able to get 40 FPS in games like crysis 2 which eats and seats in GPUs in XPS 15

So Final word is, if budget is restricted to 60K and if you dont wanna wait, go with XPS 15. No issues at all, you will sure enjoy it.

Else wait for like 1-month. Save some 5-6 K, check above configs, also you sure will receive more suggestion from other members here. and Make a choice.

crossbow said:
check out Y560-last config in the list

HP DV6-6017tx

don't know the price though.

2 of 3 Asus gaming lappies available in India

Asus G53Jw

Asus G73Jh

There are sure chances that these two will be more then 65K

2 of 4 MSI gaming lappies available in India

MSI GT680

MSI GX640

Again may be more then 65K

Also, just checked Dell XPS 15's config, and it's not bad. And also taking 540 solely in to account, you sure will be able to play games like crysis 2 and bulletstorm or portal 2 or brink at med setting flawlessly. Reviews are suggesting that you may be able to get 40 FPS in games like crysis 2 which eats and seats in GPUs in XPS 15

So Final word is, if budget is restricted to 60K and if you dont wanna wait, go with XPS 15. No issues at all, you will sure enjoy it.

Else wait for like 1-month. Save some 5-6 K, check above configs, also you sure will receive more suggestion from other members here. and Make a choice.

thanks a lot .. lenovo laptop is equipped with 5730 ATI , isnt that a lesser GFX ?

yes asus G series and MSI G series are more than 65K AFAIK ...

the last minute change in dell i5 to i7 is what makes me to slightly move towards dell ... i live far away from city and also nearest big city is atleast 150km away .. since my expirience with dell 1530 and thier onsite service was pretty good .. also with frequent power fluctuation in my place .. i wont have that kind of service with asus , lenovo , msi ,since i dont know whether they have oniste warranty , AFAIK , they all need laptop to be taken to the dealer and he has to ship it or i dont know , and might take atleast 1-3 weeks time.. so on a safe bet , dell would be my best choice..

last thing is will i7 + 540M be compared to i5+5850M ? .. also can i run games atleast at medium setting for next 1-2 years ? I am not paticularly into highdef , ultra setting gamer category.. so i just want to play games within high-medium setting ..

Back