Looking for a Gaming Laptop around 60K +- 3K

If gaming is your main priority then it makes sense to save some more cash and get a Ati 5850 or better GPU equipped laptop(contact SMC for MSI gaming laptops) but the after sales service is not on the same level as dell plus the usual heating,stability issues related with gaming laptops.

With Dell XPS 15 you get better build quality,better cooling and excellent after sales service but you wont get good GPU as the best GPU option is nvidia GT540M.

You can also contact asus for their gaming laptop range but usually their pricing is on the higher side when compared to MSI.

Naveen_Reloaded said:
thanks R64 , but can u tell me , whether i7 would improve gaming performance ?
In simple terms an i5+Ati 5850 will perform much better than an i7+Nvidia GT540M in gaming department, so everything depends on the sacrifices you are willing to make: good GPU performance or a better build,stable(cooling department), good service.

1) 540M looks like 1 step above 5730

5730 has core speed of 650 MHz, while 540 has 672 MHz *

5730 has shader speed of 650 MHz, while 540 has max of 1344 MHz *

5730 has memory of 800 MHz, while 540 has 900 MHz *

(* Note that these 3 things can be altered by notebook manufacturer)

Main thing is 540 is having GDDR5 as memory type while 5730 is still GDDR3, but in real world how much that affects gaming, that I can't explain. or I don't have examples.

Power consumption is some 9-10 watts less in 5730 then 540.

So ideally speaking, some 4-5 FPS more while 540 is there IMO.

2) A.S.S. is always been an advantage for Dell :)giggle:). That's the one area in which dell rules minds. I am saying minds because peeps know how dell ASS is. I am an HP owner, and in My case there ain't any complain. But However you yourself have experienced Dell A.S.S. :)giggle:) positively, so you must be aware to deal with them.
3) on both i7+540M and i5+5850, you sure will be able to run teh upcoming games on med settings flawlessly. MY lappy with C2D-p8600 + ATI HD4650 is now almost 2 years old. And except heating, I cannot find any issues while doing any task on it. I am a regular gamer. And currently playing

- crysis 2 on 720p + med + 4AA + 4AF

- Blops on 720p + med + 2AA + 4AF (Game itself is buggy, and minimum ping I get is 150 on jap servers)

(can add more games).

Technically speaking, IMO, i5 + 5850 will have a slight edge on better side while gaming, due to powerful 5850.

And i7 + 540 will have a relatively good edge on better side while doing normal+dev type of tasks.

==> So Once again,

- IF 70-80% (Almost all the time) of usage is gonna be gaming then think about i5 + 5850 (I strongly suggest to check out HP DV6-6017tx also, that config is even better then Lenovo, ATI mobility radeon HD6770 + Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM)

- IF You need overall multimedia + performance + gaming + A.S.S, it's dell XPS 15 (And if you can get some positive A.S.S reviews of HP for your area, then DV6-6017tx as well)

I hope everything is covered.

RS4 said:
In simple terms an i5+Ati 5850 will perform much better than an i7+Nvidia GT540M in gaming department, so everything depends on the sacrifices you are willing to make: good GPU performance or a better build,stable(cooling department), good service.

thanks RS4 .. sorry to keep on bothering , but how much FPS will i be sacrificing .. if there is not more than 10-20% difference , i wouldnt mind , as in my current 1530 , i have OCd 8600 M GT to atleast 5-10% .. , also planning to do it on 540M .. so if that can alteast equal 5850[pray] , then i would be happy.. , coz considering my place and electricity supply , i have to go for dell ... :-(
crossbow said:
1) 540M looks like 1 step above 5730

5730 has core speed of 650 MHz, while 540 has 672 MHz *

5730 has shader speed of 650 MHz, while 540 has max of 1344 MHz *

5730 has memory of 800 MHz, while 540 has 900 MHz *

(* Note that these 3 things can be altered by notebook manufacturer)

Main thing is 540 is having GDDR5 as memory type while 5730 is still GDDR3, but in real world how much that affects gaming, that I can't explain. or I don't have examples.

Power consumption is some 9-10 watts less in 5730 then 540.

So ideally speaking, some 4-5 FPS more while 540 is there IMO.

2) A.S.S. is always been an advantage for Dell :)giggle:). That's the one area in which dell rules minds. I am saying minds because peeps know how dell ASS is. I am an HP owner, and in My case there ain't any complain. But However you yourself have experienced Dell A.S.S. :)giggle:) positively, so you must be aware to deal with them.
3) on both i7+540M and i5+5850, you sure will be able to run teh upcoming games on med settings flawlessly. MY lappy with C2D-p8600 + ATI HD4650 is now almost 2 years old. And except heating, I cannot find any issues while doing any task on it. I am a regular gamer. And currently playing

- crysis 2 on 720p + med + 4AA + 4AF

- Blops on 720p + med + 2AA + 4AF (Game itself is buggy, and minimum ping I get is 150 on jap servers)

(can add more games).

Technically speaking, IMO, i5 + 5850 will have a slight edge on better side while gaming, due to powerful 5850.

And i7 + 540 will have a relatively good edge on better side while doing normal+dev type of tasks.

==> So Once again,

- IF 70-80% (Almost all the time) of usage is gonna be gaming then think about i5 + 5850 (I strongly suggest to check out HP DV6-6017tx also, that config is even better then Lenovo, ATI mobility radeon HD6770 + Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM)

- IF You need overall multimedia + performance + gaming + A.S.S, it's dell XPS 15 (And if you can get some positive A.S.S reviews of HP for your area, then DV6-6017tx as well)

I hope everything is covered.
Thanks for the detailed explanation ...

no 70-80% time to gaming ... i already own a PS3 ... i might be running few FPS , some strategy games... thats all..

my main activity will be browsing[most of the time] / photoshopping / video converting

i want a laptop to run next 1-2 years games atleast at high - medium setting...

one more thing .. HP model you said has 5400RPM HDD , wont that be a severe bottleneck ? i dont know .. jsut asking..

Naveen_Reloaded said:
no 70-80% time to gaming ... i already own a PS3 ... i might be running few FPS , some strategy games... thats all..
my main activity will be browsing[most of the time] / photoshopping / video converting

i want a laptop to run next 1-2 years games atleast at high - medium setting...
If the main activity is browsing,photoshop then its a no-brainer, Dell XPS 15 with i7+GT540M+aluminium finish+JBL speakers+excellent service seals the deal :)

Thnks RS4 and smalltiger

one last thing .. as far as the benches in NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M - Notebookcheck.net Tech , most are either running a i5 or 1GB od 540M , so can i7 + 2GB 540M increase performance to say 30-40% than the benches shown with possibility of atleast 5-10% of OCing ? should all the above atleast put the system with par of 5850M ?

with my hands tied , i have to resort to these measures ... :cry:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

after looking into details of the comparison one by one ... like 3DMark to cinebench to inidividual games

my current GT 8600 M is atleast 300% slower than 540M

540M [1GB] is around 5-10% slower than 5850

so i think i will stick to 540M...

gtx 540 does fine with most games at high settings watch youtube videos
...me too buying dell xps 15 sandybridge
check the videos for yrself

@OP

Why don't you wait sometime & what other manufacturers bring to the table ?

I'm personally betting on the Lenovo Y570 which should come with GT-555M graphics.

The Y570 wont be here anytime soon. I asked the lenovo guy. He said it would take a couple of months as they are not much in demand and lenovo needs to dispose of the older stock first.

Today planing to phone the HP customer care and enquire about the price for DV6 series... lets see... If they offer to change of thier crappy 5400RPM HDD , then i might be willing to get thier lap, if the price too falls within 60K range mark..

will let you guys know the price..

To all...

If there is credible information that new laptop /GFX is coming out from dell , please do post the link , coz i heard that 1st gen i5/i7 has made dell to push the current laptops and new laps /gfx may not come any soon...

I'm serious, dont buy a 50k GT540 level laptop, when Llano launches, if it performs the same level at 30k, you'd be cursing yourself..

thanks comp@addict , you mean good in your words ... but advice on this issue..

soon Tamil Nadu elections will be over .. and as promised by both top parties ,they wil start giving laptop in masses , if that happens , i cant able to sell my Dell XPS 1530 to atleast 15K or even 10K ..What shall i do ? can you adivce on putting my laptop on ebay ? or even here in traders section?

@naveen: you can easily try ebay...it is not tough...you can also try selling it here on TE and other similar forums...

Also as mentioned by @comaddict: the speed of processor would not bring a lot of change..however the difference will be because of change from dual core to quad core...gt540 was made to address 4 cores which i7 SB has...so its performance will certainly be better than performance with i5s..however people are still awaiting detailed specs and graphs &charts to know the final verdict....

SO its best to wait for a while!!

Back