Budget 15-20K Looking for a phone for my Mom

dexterz

Adept
Looking to get a new phone for my mom. She's currently using a Redmi Note 8 and it's about 3years old and starting to act up. Suggest a phone for basic usages like Calls, Whatsapp, Youtube, and Facebook.
The budget is 10~20k. Should have a good display, speaker, and battery.

Phones I've looked up so far include the latest iteration of the Redmi Note (will be familiar to her) and Samsung M series (AMOLED display and 6000mah battery).

Yes it comes with G96 chipset from Helio. How will it fare in the long term, can't comment.
If you are into stock Android with no bloatware, you could look into Moto G31. But even this has some helio processor, but being stock Android , it shouldn't be an issue.
My Dad has Infinix Note 5 , stock Android, which I got in 2018. It has Helio P23. Still performs well for the use case mentioned above, except for Facebook. But Facebook app itself is a huge bloatware, so running a lite version of the app should help.

If helio chipset is a thorn, why not look at the Pro 5G variant. It has SD 695 with an additional cost of ₹3000 over Pro variant. With exchange, the value could come down.

Samsung has been a mixed bag, unfortunately. One person here and another at another forum had bad experience with M series. @chetansha has had a positive experience with M32 here. So it's kinda hit or miss.

Last edited:
I bought xiaomi 11 lite ne 5g for 15k for my sister few months back see if you can exchange your old phone for that you can also combine some other bank offer like icici with the exchange. I feel it's a great value for money has 12 5g bands, lightweight (158 grams), snapdragon 778g which is power efficient and has good performance too and also xiaomi has promised 3 years of android updates+4 years of security patches.

Last edited:
Realme 9 pro 5G seems like a decent choice, has like 5 5G bands, S695 (made in TSMC 6nm, so more efficient than G96), boots android 12, overall a decent package. Lacks an AMOLED panel, but doubt your mother will notice that.

Samsung M51 is kind of too old now, M52 5G is out of budget. M32 5G is not worth buying.

Xiaomi Mi 11 lite NE 5G seems good but out of budget. IQoo Z5 is also a contender, but IMO no need to spend 22k on it.

Have a note 8 for exchange. Valued around 5k. 5g is not a concern as it will be a good while before its relevant in India. I don't mind extending budget a bit to 25k if it means it'll last a while more. I'll try to take a look at the suggested phones.

If camera is not too much of a concern, then you can have a look at Moto Edge 20 Fusion. It's near stock Android so performance is very snappy. It runs everything you throw at it. The only issue is somewhat average camera (it's marketed as 108mp) and the low wifi range. But I easily get 120 Mbps on. 100 Mbps line on 5ghz. It has got some updates and the performance has improved to what it was when launched in September.
I personally use it and I won't be wrong to say this is the best phone I bought after trying out phones from other Chinese vendors.
It has 5G, but you can ignore it for the reasons you mentioned. Costs 20k.

If camera is not too much of a concern, then you can have a look at Moto Edge 20 Fusion. It's near stock Android so performance is very snappy. It runs everything you throw at it. The only issue is somewhat average camera (it's marketed as 108mp) and the low wifi range. But I easily get 120 Mbps on. 100 Mbps line on 5ghz. It has got some updates and the performance has improved to what it was when launched in September.
I personally use it and I won't be wrong to say this is the best phone I bought after trying out phones from other Chinese vendors.
Sometime back it went OOS, nice to see it. Definitely a decent option, esp considering stock OS.

camera doesn't matter. she very rarely uses camera. I'll take a look at it. Poco X4 pro is launching tomorrow. So I'll wait for a couple of days and decide. realme 9pro+ 8/128 at 17k after exchange and card discount looks really attractive.

Last edited:
Couple of factor I considered while buying phone for my mom:
1) light weight: should be max 175g.
2) ample space for storage, so you wont have to transfer frequently
3) decent camera
4) atleast 2 major OS updates
5) 6GB or more RAM
7) 5G compatible. (parents are not comfortable changing phones frequently)

for current phone if battery is not an issue root it and add pixel experience rom .if going for new one pickup no nonsense motorola g51 g71 phones ,if going for snapdragon mi/ redmi /poco phones you have an option for custom roms .If custom rom is not your thing than there are mi/poco debloater apps for which would debloat the phone .

Add family link app to your parents phone and you be the admin so you can restrict unauthorized app install /battery % check and lot of stuff , you can track your parents if you want + you can remote sound alert

Last edited:
Back