Looking for a Smartphone for a friend~ 9k-15k : Need urgent suggestions

sato1986

Skilled
Hi All,

Here's the requirement of a friend of mine:

1. Budget:

9k~15k. More importantly it should be VFM.

2. Priority:

Camera: 30% Music: 20% Web-Browsing: 20% Social networking: 10% Ease of use: 10% Ruggedness: 10%

3. Current thoughts:

Motorola Defy (Is camera a big issue in low-light conditions when compared to similar budget phones? And no front camera in a 15k phone?)

Samsung Wave II (Like this one alot as its camera seems superior to Defy but what's this Bada OS? Not upgradeable to Android 2.2?)

iPhone 3G (Seriously?)

Need more thoughts...

4. Other features / OS preferences:

Video calling (if possible), Android (Easy to add apps), Avi Video playback.

5. Open to online/used purchases?

Yes.

TIA :)

Very close between Samsung Wave II and Motorola Defy since camera is first priority, Wave II is tried and tested and clicks great images and very crisp 720p videos. Flash will light up the darkest corners. Camera interface is good, too.

Motorola's getting an update dunno how much better it will be over the current.

You can check the link below, comparison of pics taken through Wave II, Defy and Ace.

Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com

Nokia C6-01 or Samsung WaveII. Both are excellent multimedia phones in that budget and has good Cameras and 720p recording. DIV-X, XVID out of the box! Any other Android phone pales in comparisons.

The Ace is pure waste of money considering the Dell XCD35 costs 10.5k and the Ace demands a 3.5k-4k premium just for a better cam and has poorer screen resolution!

Infact if the screen size is of lesser importance then the Nokia C6-01 edges out WaveII because if has a gorgeous AMOLED with Nokia CBD Tech (Almost On par with SAMOLED) Also it Symbian 3 will get better UI via 'Anna' update and popular games like Angry Birds is available for Symbian!

I studied here that Nokia's camera is Fixedfocus and webbrowsing needs lots of improvement. Audio playback & Video recording quality though, is supreme.

Source:Nokia C6-01 review: Clear as black - GSMArena.com

GSMarena said:
The produced images turned out as bad as we expected. On top of that, the camera interface is still far from user-friendly.

Web browser needs lots of tweaking

Whats about WaveII's Bada OS?. Can it be changed to Android 2.2?

No, Bada is Samsung's very own OS which is only available with the Wave series. It cannot be changed to Android AFAIK. But, Bada is not that bad when i had a chance to lay on my hands on Wave 1. But yeah there are various disadvantages of the Bada OS, the biggest being the lack of apps.

S^3 is a clunky OS at the moment and bada is a far superior OS than the S^3 in terms of touch phone experience (UI, Swiping, TraceT9). Anna is going to bring changes but so will bada 2.0 which is scheduled for a September launch and is going to be equally feature laden (NFC, Native apps multitasking, Open AL support, Flash amongst other things)

But camera specs wise C6-01 will be better. Guess it comes down to personal preference and what impresses you the most in the store.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sato1986 said:
I studied here that Nokia's camera is Fixedfocus and webbrowsing needs lots of improvement. Audio playback & Video recording quality though, is supreme.

Source:Nokia C6-01 review: Clear as black - GSMArena.com

Whats about WaveII's Bada OS?. Can it be changed to Android 2.2?

At the moment devs at XDA are working on an Android Froyo port to the Wave.

Thanks alot for the input guys.

I've told my friend to check the suggested phones (Defy, C6-01, WaveII, XCD35, Spica i5700) out personally at some nearby store (Aundh, Pune).

Any suggestions where one can find latest phones on Demo in Pune? Also any good dealers of the same?

Also calling for more precise input on Bada vs. Sym^3 vs. Android 2.2.

EDIT: Just saw, a seperate thread exists regarding the OS comparison: http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phone-buying-advice/can-bada-os-compared-android-os-191270.html

^^ Stick to Symb^3 or best, Android(defy is getting 2.3 soon officially, or you can just fash with CM7)

See, I know on paper Bada is wowie, but my friends, they have a big complaint. THey are sickly bored of their Wave phone because they have almost nothing, few apps, few good apps more importantly, not everybody(I sure dont) likes touchwiz ui.

Symbian^3 is trusted, and stable plus, a good arsenal of apps and great games too. C6-01 has the best CBD screen and an 8MP camera, XCD35 is low on camera, 3.2MP, but low on price too(10.5k)

If you have no hassles with the 3.2MP cam, XCD 35 is a go-go all the way. Best next Android option is Moto Defy.

See, I know on paper Bada is wowie, but my friends, they have a big complaint. THey are sickly bored of their Wave phone because they have almost nothing, few apps, few good apps more importantly, not everybody(I sure dont) likes touchwiz ui.

I cannot deny the fact that bada does lack a few quality apps. But to these people I'll suggest an Android not a Symbian^3. And also a matter of UI preference as you've put it. Some like Sense, some like TW3 some don't like both. I do not like the interface and response of an N8. It's way too sluggish and boring for me. Bringing up the dialpad is a task for the S^3.

@OP Let me put it this way, if you have been using Nokia for a long time then get a Nokia else demo the Wave II.

For your reading -

Nokia C6-01 review: Clear as black - GSMArena.com

Samsung S8530 Wave II review: Riding the wave - GSMArena.com

Nokia C6 & Samsung Galaxy Ace are bad suggestions, avoid them. Nokia C7 is good but costly.

If you wanna go for Android then Moto Defy is the best one but gonna cost you 1k more; if you wanna stick to your budget then Dell XCD35 & LG Optimus One. Othewise Samsung Wave S8500 for 15k is another awesome device, good camera & sound & superb AMOLED display, only downside is lack of Apps on BadaOS. But don't go for Wave II, Wave is better with its AMOLED display otherwise there's no difference between the two devices, no improvement also (marginal improvement = no improvement, here).

do not like the interface and response of an N8. It's way too sluggish

lies dont help, as you might have(maybe) read N8 reviews, the reviewers mention problem with UI navigation, but they mention fluid UI response thanks to the completely GPU accelerated UI.

Chill out dude, I'm not talking about your garage band review. Go check the cons sections of review sites you may find your answer.

PS: I live w/ a friend who owns an N8 and I use it every now and then to click pics watch videos etc, therefore the observation.

Back