Budget 10-15K Looking for a touch screen phone with my special requirements - please help

casper^

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 10K. Can add 3-5K if need be.

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: No preference but richer colors would be great.

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: I don't like cheap brands like Micromax, Karbonn, iBall, Intex etc.

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Wanted a Keypad only phone because I like using keypads more than a touchscreen, but most smartphones today are touchscreen phones, so I'll go with a touch screen.

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Not very important, but a 3 to 5MP camera should be enough. But a flash IS required because that can act as a TORCH too and that's what I need.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: I didn't like Android on the Coby Kyros tablet (though I'm very good at Linux), so want to try Windows Phone this time.

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, WiFi, Edge, Bluetooth with A2DP.

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Music First, Then Calling, Then Internet and Email, then SMS. Actually I'm looking for best music phone but the keypad phones don't have Wifi and 3G and other features with the music phone. I tried getting a good Mp3 player but the Mp3 players are vanishing like anything since last few years.

Also, my requirement for Internet is mainly for using an online radio most of the time, other than for Email. So, I don't know whether 3G would really be needed or not. But I think it would be nice to have 3G as an option.

Games is not a requirement at all, but I'd be viewing videos at times.

10. Any other requirements?
A: I'd like the phone to have a special music chip, and to get audiophile-like music quality. Other than that, the following list of features (which I think isn't too much to ask):
  • Loud inbuilt speaker
  • 64 GB memory card support
  • Able to record FM and calls
  • Good battery backup for music, calls and Internet
  • Multiple alarm feature - must have an option to set multiple alarms and use different MP3s for each.
  • No lags in the UI
  • Playlists and multiple bookmarks for music (and for videos too - but not very important)
  • Loud ring volume, loud and good call quality.
  • Viewer (and editor too) for MS Office docs and pdfs.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Nokia Lumia 520 / 620 but I'm not sure about the music quality and sound output.

Kind Regards,
Casper^[DOUBLEPOST=1369490104][/DOUBLEPOST]No one l@@king at my post? ^Bump

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I'd say these design engineers at Nokia and other phone companies are kinda mad guys. Why? because they create a series of products with nice features. The higher products have better features, but lack in one or two usual features which is very bad. They will put great features on a high-end product and then remove a normally expected feature from it. I've seen this happen many times. This is not the case just with Nokia, but same with the others as well.

As @Striker10 mentioned, the Lumia 610 has equalizer and Dolby sound BUT has bad looks (compared to 520/720) and no FM radio. And see the Lumia 720 - with a non-removable battery, though a high capacity one.

I think these phone companies should get their designers from forum users like TE! Or, at least they should visit these forums to understand what users want.

But, still Nokia has done a good job with the Lumias, other than the few shortcomings.

Does anyone know whether there's any possibility of getting an equalizer in any of the Lumias in the future? I don't know whether it's supported in the hardware or not.

I may leave the camera and go for the L520, thanks @pauldmps and @vyral_143 for the suggestion.

Would it be a good idea to get it off the local phone shop (price is 9.5K). I read on the L520 thread from someone whose L520 camera button stopped working and he got a replacement on day 3.

My roomie has been using since past two weeks. No issues so far. The camera button might get stuck but it is the button on the cover that gets stuck (happened once). Just remove the cover & reseat it.

My lumia 620 has equalizer and Dolby sound settings.. Dont think the 520 has them.

No. It doesn't. However it "might" get that via an update. I really don't like the looks of the 620. No offence to you (or anyone).

The 520 is a thing of beauty & definitely worth every penny. Even the camera is excellent. And did I say that it runs super smooth.

No. It doesn't. However it "might" get that via an update. I really don't like the looks of the 620. No offence to you (or anyone).

The 520 is a thing of beauty & definitely worth every penny. Even the camera is excellent. And did I say that it runs super smooth.

Since the 520, 620 and the 720 - all have the same chipset, the equalizer and Dolby thing should be possible via an update I guess. But the strange thing is, even though all three of these Lumias have the same chipset, still the 620 lacks the FM radio.

@pauldmps , @Striker10
At first, I had thought that the little smaller screen of the 620 would be better to hold, as I'm not yet used to touch screen phones and especially of the 4 inch size. How do the 520 or even the 620 feel in the hand? A n00b question I guess, but haven't had a chance to use a Lumia. I only have a PMP of 4.3 inches which doesn't feel comfortable if I hold it like a phone.

At the local mobile shop where I often recharge from, they only have the 520 in stock. The 620 as well as the 720 are out of stock he said.[DOUBLEPOST=1369904193][/DOUBLEPOST]So, I finally decided to go with the Lumia 520. I'll also be getting the Sound Acoustics C-12 IEMs to use with it and I think these would do a great job for the music.

Which color is the most bought? I think I'd like to get the red one.

Would I need to get a SIM cutter and cut the SIM card to use with the Lumia?

@casper^ yes L520 would need a SIM which is cut. 9.5K locally is pretty good deal considering lowest online price I could find was ~9200. For more info on L520 there is a thread on it in mobile section.

Back