Looking for a Wireless (Optical) mouse with extra buttons - Budget no bar if its worth it

agentmilo

Disciple
Hello folks, I've been on the lookout for a good mouse, for almost 6 months now. Mainly for productivity (design, editing, 3D, animation) and casual gaming on the side. I don't play online and whatever I play is either Indie or single player- so I don't need to best of the best sensors; BUT I can feel the difference between a good sensor and a basic one and its a little grating.

My requirements
are comfort, some extra buttons, decent sensor and wireless. Nice to haves will be infinite scroll wheel, removable battery and multi-device connectivity. I don't mind ambidextrous mice, but more inclined to shaped ones. I have 17.5cm x 9cm hands.

I currently am using a G402 since 4 years now and I absolutely love it. I'm able to palm grip it (varying between 1-3-1 and 1-2-2) and the shape is very comfortable - dislike the scroll wheel though.

I've tried to make every word count and not waste your time.

Currently looking at the following mice (in order of preference) -

1. Logitech M720 Triathlon
    Medium sized mouse with sensible button placement and most of the modern goodies- bluetooth + 2.4ghz, multi device connectivity, several programmable buttons, side scrolling and gestures. The sensor doesn't seem to be good though. Its a 1000dpi optical sensor.

I'm most keen on this mouse, but I've come to learn that the actual price of the mouse was 2.5k beginning of this year and now it has inflated to 4.5k, which seems a little too much for what it is to me (mainly hesitant because of poor materials used). It still seems to have the best blend of features but a basic sensor.

Can someone comment on the quality of the sensor on this mouse?

2. Logitech G604 - The next in line, has pretty much everything I need- jackload of buttons, infinite scrollwheel, dual device connectivity and a great sensor. I also hear poor things about the scroll wheel; that its loud and hard to click. Wish it had G502 Lightspeed's scroll wheel. It is also heavy at 130gms- but I use my G402 around 2150dpi with default windows sens so I believe it should be alright.

The shape also seems to be comfortable, being quite similar to the G402.

Price is high (between 7-8k at different places), I can spend that much but am hesitant about the scroll wheel.

3. Logitech G602 - This seems like a good deal, but the product has reached its end of life, hence support will be non-existent- important given that this device is touted to have poor build quality switches. So overall looks like a bad idea.

4. Logitech G502 - Least preferred and the only wired mouse that I am considering, simply because of the infinite scroll wheel and ergonomic shape- and is very similar to G402. I just don't want to pay so much for a wired mouse. But its a last resort.
So far I've used / tried -
  • Logitech G305 - The sensor is wonderful and I really like the scroll wheel. But the side buttons are beyond pathetic and I have to reach out for the forward key. The shape is very basic and ambidextrous but is surprisingly strain-free. No extra features, which frequently I find myself sorely missing out on.

• Razer Atheris - I really liked this mouse but certain edges dug into my palms. Also found it too heavy for its size and uncomfortable to use for long stretches.

• Logitech MX Master 2S - The ergonomics did not work for me. Its too big and the backwards hump was hurting my wrists. Side button placement is stupid and the sensor is horrendous. 4000dpi, but its laser. The weight (153gms) wouldn't have been a problem but the sensor has built in acceleration that is unpredictable and erratic, highly affected by how fast / slow you move the mouse. So it is not good for precision work.

I have no idea why mouse is so popular. The material and build quality is fantastic, no doubt about that.

• Logitech M590 - Pathetic shape and one of the worst scroll wheels I've ever used. The side buttons were horrible. The sensor was just basic and had some sort of acceleration.
Not very interested in -
  • MX Anwhere 2S - Not considering as it doesn't have middle click.
  • Logitech G603 - Essentially a comfortable G305. Don't want to pay so much for just 2 extra buttons. Apparently scroll wheel isn't great. It has bluetooth going for it though.

In an ideal world I would have loved a G502 Lightspeed. But it has to be recharged every few days and the price is a little nutty.

You must have noticed that I haven't looked at non-logitech mice. From my basic research there are non that are reasonably priced and have the additional features that Logitech mice offer.

Appreciate thoughtful replies. I've spent way too much time on this already.

Back