Looking for desktop with minimal clutter(All in One/HTPC) under 45k

zigackly

Recruit
Hi,

Looking to buy a desktop replacement that will have minimal clutter with a 45k budget. Ill try to cover all the points in a small brief below. Detailed template also filled out, just in case.
  • Primary need is I want to do away with wires, woofers, and tower cabinets.
  • My usage is basic browsing, some office work, but if possible i would like to be able to play an RTS if i could. Other games i use my PS3/Xbox
  • I have a TV across the room that i will stream movies to, the TV is not wifi ready so i use the PS3 as a medium at the moment.
  • I have considered an All-in-One (Dell All in One 2320), but was wondering if a powerful HTPC would be worth the additional wires? Since the HTPC would offer flexibility for repair and upgrade?
  • Looks are important. Yes im shallow
    <

• I would prefer not to get a mac since my work ERP requires windows and it doesnt really make sense to me to buy mac hardware and run windows on it. I was wondering whether an All-in-One would be adequate for basic needs with the option
  1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 35k
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Samsung Series 5 37" tv. Its across the room from my desk, if i can hook it up directly to the pc that would be great, otherwise im currently running a wire to the PS3 from the PC and streaming via the media server software.
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

above mentioned

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    Either an All in One , currently liked the Dell 2320, or an HTPC. If an HTPC is found to be the solution, then will also need to buy-

Monitor

Keyboard/Mouse

Speakers(if they can be inbuilt to the monitor to avoid extra clutter, nothing like it. Otherwise a maximum 2.0 set, No woofer !)
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

At the moment i do not foresee any reason to upgrade if i get a decent spec off the bat, but we all love more power.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Mumbai
    2. Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. no
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. Browsing
    2. Office Work
    3. Downloading
    4. Streaming Movies to TV
    5. Being able to play a game would be great, but not a priority.
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. Preferably a well established brand with a good hardware support/warranty. Ive never really needed software help, but if a component breaks down, the support should be swift. Ive had a decent experience with my Dell laptop replacements.
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. RTS, if it all. For anything else, i have the PS3/Xbox
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Nothing really. Is "high" an acceptable answer ?
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. No
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows 7

Looking to buy a desktop replacement that will have minimal clutter with a 45k budget. Ill try to cover all the points in a small brief below. Detailed template also filled out, just in case.
  • Primary need is I want to do away with wires, woofers, and tower cabinets.
  • My usage is basic browsing, some office work, but if possible i would like to be able to play an RTS if i could. Other games i use my PS3/Xbox
  • I have a TV across the room that i will stream movies to, the TV is not wifi ready so i use the PS3 as a medium at the moment.
  • I have considered an All-in-One (Dell All in One 2320), but was wondering if a powerful HTPC would be worth the additional wires? Since the HTPC would offer flexibility for repair and upgrade?
  • Looks are important. Yes im shallow
    happy19.gif

• I would prefer not to get a mac since my work ERP requires windows and it doesnt really make sense to me to buy mac hardware and run windows on it. I was wondering whether an All-in-One would be adequate for basic needs with the option

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Nothing really. Is "high" an acceptable answer ?

Are you going to use the TV as the monitor as well in this case?

Hmmm... you are a tough customer, but this is what I suggest --

AMD A8-3850 ~7000/- [Llano inbuilt graphics are way better than Intel HD series, if you find it too weak add a HD 6670 later down the line]

Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H ~6500/- OR ASUS FM1-A75-M ~4500/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3400/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB ~5500/- [hard-drives are expensive these days, no way around it sadly]

Seasonic X560W ~6500/- [modular cables will reduce clutter inside the cabinet] OR Seasonic S12II 520W ~3700/- [not modular, but cheaper too]

SilverStone Sugo SG02B ~4100/- [for the complete range of cabinets, go here]

Logitech Wireless combo ~1500/- [it is cheap and it LAGs]

Some points I would like to draw your attention to --
  • I am not to good at audio products, so I will let other members pitch in.
  • The Llano's successor the AMD Trinity is expected to release around ~May 15[sup]th[/sup] if you can wait for the same, you will see better graphics capability and a decent amount of processing power on a tighter power draw limit.
  • When you mean, wireless do you want to remove every wire in sight? As in even the monitor cable.
  • If you want to set-up an HTPC try to install XMBC, it is a free Linux distro which works as a HTPC interface and supports a wide variety of codecs for playback. Another advantage is that it supports wireless remote(s) and trackball keyboards.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Are you going to use the TV as the monitor as well in this case?

Hmmm... you are a tough customer, but this is what I suggest --

AMD A8-3850 ~7000/- [Llano inbuilt graphics are way better than Intel HD series, if you find it too weak add a HD 6670 later down the line]

Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H ~6500/- OR ASUS FM1-A75-M ~4500/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3400/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB ~5500/- [hard-drives are expensive these days, no way around it sadly]

Seasonic X560W ~6500/- [modular cables will reduce clutter inside the cabinet] OR Seasonic S12II 520W ~3700/- [not modular, but cheaper too]

SilverStone Sugo SG02B ~4100/- [for the complete range of cabinets, go here]

Logitech Wireless combo ~1500/- [it is cheap and it LAGs]

Some points I would like to draw your attention to --
  • I am not to good at audio products, so I will let other members pitch in.
  • The Llano's successor the AMD Trinity is expected to release around ~May 15[sup]th[/sup] if you can wait for the same, you will see better graphics capability and a decent amount of processing power on a tighter power draw limit.
  • When you mean, wireless do you want to remove every wire in sight? As in even the monitor cable.
  • If you want to set-up an HTPC try to install XMBC, it is a free Linux distro which works as a HTPC interface and supports a wide variety of codecs for playback. Another advantage is that it supports wireless remote(s) and trackball keyboards.

Thanks a ton for the input!
  • No, the TV will not be the monitor if we go the HTPC way. I will but a separate monitor (be around the 20" mark) and the TV wll only be for streaming movies.
  • Every wire in sight, means as many wires as possible. The real purpose is clutter-reduction, so if we are doing away with a monitor cable, but adding a bulky device to wirelessly stream the feed, it may not be effective towards the purpose. (im trying not to be tough, i really am
    happy19.gif
    )
  • Well i do have a PS3 and an Xbox360 so havent really explored XBMC as an option. Have been using either of those as a media server, but am open to suggestions. But if i run XBMC to stream a movie, i wont be able to do anything else on the PC right ? I live with my brother, so both are used simultaneously.

Can definitely wait for the AMD Trinity, my only concern at this point is the size of the HTPC still looks kinda bulky. Had my eyes on the Dell Zino, but theyve discontinued it. Yes, its almost as big as most HTPC cabinets, but looks sexy !

#[member='zigackly'] Sire, answers are put in between questions --
  • No, the TV will not be the monitor if we go the HTPC way. I will but a separate monitor (be around the 20" mark) and the TV wll only be for streaming movies.

In that case I recommend that you go for the Dell IN2030M to complement the RIG, it is a 20" model, with LED back-light and DVI-D out. For more details look here. It is priced ~6500/- inclusive taxes.
  • Every wire in sight, means as many wires as possible. The real purpose is clutter-reduction, so if we are doing away with a monitor cable, but adding a bulky device to wirelessly stream the feed, it may not be effective towards the purpose. (im trying not to be tough, i really am
    happy19.gif
    )

No I really have never set-up a wireless PC, so that is why I made that comment. You are pretty easy to deal with and you are explaining yourself well. So I am sure we can work out something.
  • Well i do have a PS3 and an Xbox360 so havent really explored XBMC as an option. Have been using either of those as a media server, but am open to suggestions. But if i run XBMC to stream a movie, i wont be able to do anything else on the PC right ? I live with my brother, so both are used simultaneously.

Yes that is true, whilst XMBC is running everything else is at halt.

Can definitely wait for the AMD Trinity, my only concern at this point is the size of the HTPC still looks kinda bulky. Had my eyes on the Dell Zino, but theyve discontinued it. Yes, its almost as big as most HTPC cabinets, but looks sexy !

The issue with the Dell Zino class cabinets is that they most likely will use a ­­µSMPS which are rated at not more than ~150W. This will make future upgrades and add-ons very difficult. Check out the other SilverStone cabinets, go here. Take your pick.

If you do not mind spending some money on Wireless display solutions, you could hook up any machine to the TV using wireless display. But mind ya, wont be cheap.

And, yes, it will be hidden behind the TV, so the device wont be visible.
<

Else, Abhay has done some great deal of explaining, so you could follow his line
<

Thanks for the info guys. Before settling on a decision, are there any real disadvantages of buying a Mac mini (or other apple hardware) and installing windows on that?

Thanks for the info guys. Before settling on a decision, are there any real disadvantages of buying a Mac mini (or other apple hardware) and installing windows on that?

Well there is nothing illegal about this, the process is through a software application called BOOT-CAMP available to users above Mac OS X. Now the pitfalls are all listed here.

Read up and decide, Cheers!!

Also try the Silverstone GD06B. I have the case and its beautifull for a HTPC.

Primeabgb is the distri for silverstone. They do not stock GD06 but can get it for you but pricing is sad. They quoted me 12K , i got it off amazon via friend for $120.

Back