Looking for sub 10k amplifier

tracerbullet

Skilled
Initially I thought I should be patriotic and go in an amplifier made by an Indian audio company, such as Sonodyne or Norge. But I'm not sure if those models come with a remote! At least, the Norge amps don't. I'm looking for a good, powerful amplifier (with a remote), rated at least, at 80-100 RMS. Since I'm going to connect it to my existing 6 OHM, 140RMS twin bookshelf speakers, I don't really care about a multichannel 5.1 setup. A standard stereo amplifier is more than enough.

I can shell out about Rs 10,000. Any suggestions?

You'll have a hard time getting anything other than norge in less than 10k. Most decent stuff starts at 20K or so unfortunately.

Edit: Try finding out how much the onkyo TX 8211 costs. It has pretty decent specs for a stereo receiver and sells for around 150-175 in the states.

Umm, might not fit in with what you want,

Nevertheless, here goes:

Places like Lajpat Rai Market (Delhi) and Ritchie street (Chennai) will have a handful of locally made AMplifier vendors who usually deal in el-cheapo mass market Amps based on generic low cost ICs like TBA810

However, some of themm also stock amazing VFM transistor based Amps which can deliver over 60-80 W RMS at very low s/n ....

BTW what bookshelf spkrs do you have, and are you sure they can hand;le 140 RMS each

(Umm , as for the remote, I'll presme your DVD player remote shall do the trick)

My speakers are part of a hifi Aiwa system I had picked up 7-8 years ago. According to the manual, the speakers are rated at 140 watts (RMS) at 6 Ohms. While the hifi system itself sucked, the speakers are quite good. So all I need to do is, throw away my existing system, and buy a good amplifier to connect my speakers to. I want my amplifier to have a remote so that I can adjust the volume etc. I'm not sure if the divx player can do that. Let me check anyhow.

If you have a better setup in mind, or any sort of ideas, let me know.

Does your dvd player have analog out? In that case, just get a logitech z5300. Since you'd be connecting it to a dvd player, I assume this setup is meant for watching movies.... for that the logitechs are definitely not bad.

That's just what. I already have enough speakers in my house, so I don't want to invest in any more. I'm guessing even the MX5021s would serve well right? But the deal is that this would be for my living room and a 5.1 speaker set would get too messy. The wires wouldn't be long enough and I'd have to call an electrician for concealing the wiring. Too much of a headache!

This is my DVD/Divx player, it's the Mitashi 999 and yeah it has analog out. Watching movies is the primary use of this setup.

Well the only reason I ever suggested the Z5300 is cos 5.1 helps in movies :). Else any other speaker would do the job. As I see it, an MX5021 would sound way better than a norge amp with aiwa speakers... trust me on that one ;). Junk the entire aiwa setup in any case.

^^ A freind is using the Z5300 with a Samsung DVD player and it works fine :)

@ Chaos - My freind gave up his weird amp + speaker combo idea and got a 5021 itself :p

@ Chaos - My freind gave up his weird amp + speaker combo idea and got a 5021 itself

d-uh, a matched speaker + Amp idea (if well executed) beats a 5021 or even a z5500 hands down any day

that too at an equal if not better price

whoah, wait a sec....before making a judgemental statement, how many of you have ever got your hands dirty setting up a amp and speaker combo...the real DIY stuff.....

I say this coz I had a stupid Sony Midi system not too long ago on which i had spent a truckload of cash several years ago...that too when I was a student....

Anyway, sometime late last year, I decided to give it an unceremonious kick, and get a more kick-ass sound system....

After having tested a bunch of Altec Lansing's (including Mx5021 and the (now phased out?) ATP5), i decided to get my hands dirty and build myself a 5.1 speaker rig......

ANy guesses how much did I end up spending on it?

LM3875 based subwoofer amp and LM1875 driven 4 satellites

The subwoofer is a 10" prolypropylene driver based unit

Thats more than enuf to make a judgement.

BTW didn't the judgement come before this qstn ;)

Back