Looking for sub 10k amplifier

^^What are the satellite drivers like and what sort of sub did u make? Ported/Non Ported/Passive Radiator et al?

Most good enclosures you get in Indian markets are for Ported woofers....mine is no different!

Anyway, I feel it is pointless to carry on this discussion ....

The bottomline is a MX5021 is a good VFM buy if you don't want to spend much of money and effort...

However, if one has a loaded wallet (not I :p )or is not afraid to get his/her hands down & dirty, there is no dearth of better options :hap5:

As for Tracer, dude! where art thou?

Btw just checked at Garuda mall, the Jamo 2 Floor speaker (D408 I think) come in at 15k and sound mind blowing.

Coupled with a Denon / Marndz amp for another 10k it'll be one helluva setup :)

Anish said:
Coupled with a Denon / Marndz amp for another 10k it'll be one helluva setup :)

for 10 k ??? where man , let me know :p

those babies are more like 20 k + ...
Yamaha is the cheapest with around 15k+ basic model

Tracer , best setup for that amount would be z5300 :)

Wow, quite a discussion going on, eh?

Okay let's see. I'm in the favour of discrete stuff. Whether it's DIY or branded doesn't matter, so as long as it comes within my budget. The MX5021 is definitely a great buy, but I'm going to look at all other assembled options before going in for that. I still think my AIWA speakers are really good, and worth keeping. Also, I want to do things step by step. So, assuming I pick up a brilliant amplifier at around the 10k price point (don't mind going a bit higher though) I'll use this setup for a while, before I put some more money in and buy a better pair of mounted speakers.

If I going in for the 5021s, I'm stuck with that. I can't upgrade or anything. Here, I can keep upgrading my system as I like - biggest plus point in favour of discrete systems.

Saw a Denon model for 10990 at B'lore today

Any idea about the specifications, Anish? Denon would really be worth it. If it's anything over 70 watts, I'll pick it up hands down.

However, if one has a loaded wallet (not I )or is not afraid to get his/her hands down & dirty, there is no dearth of better options

Keeping the latter premise in the picture, how much would it cost for a DIY 100 watt amplifier? What are the parts I'd have to get? How do I go about doing it?

Edit : Damn sorry for the unrequired excitement generated puns, its more like 20,990 :p

Anyways, Marandz aint available here.

Btw, not meaning to crap your thread Nikhil, but anybody heard speakers by "Lithos" ?

And anybody heard amps by "Nad Electronics" ??

@ Nikhil - Some of the Yamaha models do start at 15k, they would also be nice, if your interested.

Anish: Yeah I have a pair of Lithos bookshelf speakers. No idea what model. They're pretty decent for music and movies, more than enough for me but I doubt they'd make the stereophile grade. No idea of the price but they should be pretty reasonable.

And NAD makes some of the best amps and CD players in the business. They're not the highest of the high end but pretty good. Haven't heard one recently but this is what I remember.

Tracer: are you looking for a discrete receiver/preamp plus power amp? Denon stuff is available at the ProFX showroom, Crossroads. Give them a call and see what's on offer, though the AIWA system speakers would be totally mismatched with something like that.

Lithos is an Indian brand. Its not very cheap, but is supposed to be really good. - Lithos Acoustics

NAD makes some of the best electronics for entry level audiophiles. The 320BEE is the best stereo amp under 20K. Will easily beat denon/marantz etc.

went to pro fx today in blore needless to say didnt like the screeching sound of some of polk and stuffs but one polk sounded awesome :( eh amp costs arnd 30k and speakers 35k total 65k but a discount goin on so total is 52k ;9. damn now after hearing those hw can i buy mx5021/? :| tracey mail me what r u planning to do ;p i might follow ur way if its nt to much of hastle and superczar hw much ur setup costed u?
even the polk bokshelves pair 9k sounded awesome but problem is the amp costs 15k and the sub another 10 BURN!! for a guy like me :p.

Imported Famous Large Power Valve with Plastic Capsule :S

Provided with the Most Advanced Large Dynamics :huh:

Total Rated Power Output Test at 4 W 1 Khz :O

I'm going to head over to Heera Panna today and have a look at the Yamaha amplifiers. There are a couple available for less than 15,000. I'll update here later.

I'm going to head over to Heera Panna today and have a look at the Yamaha amplifiers. There are a couple available for less than 15,000. I'll update here later.

Your Aiwa Speakers are going to be a big downer on any hi-fidelity Amp....

I'd say stash some dosh away to budget for the speakers

for lack of a better analogy, it's be like shodding a Porsche with wooden tyres

So I went over to the Harman/Kardon showroom yesterday only to find out that all the amplifiers are over 25k. Not that I wasn't expecting it, but I had a rather nice chat with the manager of the showroom there.

I explained my budget to him, telling him that there's a Yamaha AX-396 stereo receiver available at Heera Panna for 12,500, asking him whether it's a good buy or not. I also told him about the Norge amplifiers (which he already knew about) and he suggested rightaway that I pick up a Norge. Apparently the Yamahas are all overrated pieces of **** as he put it, with more bark than bite.

Anish, I cant the d408 on the Jamo site.Floorstand

I found the S406 on ebay.in, for under 15K. Here's what ebay has to say:
System: 2 ways Bass Reflex camera
Loudspeaker: 2 Boomers of 165 mm & 1 Tweeter of 25 mm
Powers RMS/Peak: 80 W/120 W
Impedance: 6 Ohms
Output: 90 dB
Beach of frequency: 48 - 20.000 Hz
Cut-off frequency: 4 000 Hz
Dimensions (HxLxP): 840 X 214 X 235 mm
Volume: 29,7 L
Weight: 9,5 kg
Completion: To drown
Conditioning: Pair
needless to say....stay away from this.

However, I did find the S406 and S408 HT package here - http://www.qualifi.com.au/index.jsp?page=1099&section=brands&offset=24

Not very confidence inspiring. If you are looking for floorstanders under 20K, check out the Wharfedale 8.4 Its around 18-19K, and will rock your world when paired with the NAD C3200BEE.

Would anyone be interested in a Yamaha AX-492 stereo amplifier. Im based out of Bangalore!!! Its a used amplifier and its about 2 years old and works great. Im just upgrading to a HT system with a Marantz Receiver. Make an offer and we can discuss. BTW my thevibe@gmail.com. Email me if you are interested and I'll give you my number or if you include yours in the email I'll call back.
Vaibhav

Back