PC Peripherals Looking for suggestions on PC config for 20 - 25K

PrAnKsTeR

Disciple
I want to get suggestions for building a CPU (mobo, processor, ram, hdd, cabinet, power supply).. here are some details as per the template

1. Q: What is your budget?
1. 20 - 25K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Mostly dead outdated (socket 478 P4 1.7ghz , sd ram etc etc :p )

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
1. Monitor - Samsung Syncmaster 753s (17'' CRT monitor)
2. Keyboard - Logitech some version
3. Mouse - Logitech MX 518 :D
4. DVD RW - SONY IDE based model

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. CPU - here's where i need suggestions
2. Motherboard - here's where i need suggestions
3. GPU - not buying GPU now.. will buy later
4. RAM - here's where i need suggestions
5. Cabinet - here's where i need suggestions
6. HDD - here's where i need suggestions
7. Power Supply - hopefully the one that comes with cabinet should do.. will buy a better one when i get a GPU

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 - 12 months the RAM, SMPS, GPU, Monitor, other peripherals like speakers, etc.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
1. Mumbai
2. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Gaming - occassionally
2. Browsing - daily
3. Desktop Processing - Excel and Word documents most of the time
5. Download rig, 24x7 operation - occasionally only .. when new stuff i like gets shared on torrents :D .. i barely download stuff these days
6. Watching HD movies - almost every weekend and sometimes on weekdays too

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
None as yet.. but please advise against certain brands if their service is not good in mumbai or india

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
1. FPS - Counter Strike everyday for 2hrs
2. Racing and strategy - occassionally .. will play on low - medium settings.. dont need a monster rig

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. Gaming - 800 x 600 :D .. lower the res better the aim :)
2. Desktop - 1280 x 800

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
1. No. prefer to use stock speeds .. not an enthusiast

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows XP, Vista, 7 64 bit
2. Ubuntu at times.. just for the kicks

To summarise.. I am looking to make a new CPU.. including proccy, mobo, cabinet, ram, hdds for 20 - 25K.
Will be upgrading to a LCD monitor later on and will buy GPU and SMPS then.. currently hoping the stock SMPS with the cabinet will do the job.
The rig will be used for general surfing, occasional gaming at medium to low settings, watching HD movies and Tv series, working on excel spreadsheets and word docs almost everyday and for downloading 24hrs on certain weekdays only.. not all 7 days.
I would like to make it future proof..so that i dont need to change proccy mobo every year, could always keep adding more ram and hdds. A good Proccy- Mobo combo probably ddr3 based is what i would like to get your suggestions on.

AthlonII X4 620 - 5400/- or Phenom II 550 BE - 5300/-
Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H 5900/-
Corsair DDR3 1333MHz - 2800/-
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 - 4000/-
CM Elite 310 - 1550/-
Gigabyte superb 460w - 2200/-
This comes around ~21-22k. Go for a good PSU now itself as your budget allows it. Choose b/w the dual or quad cores according to your preference.(IMO go for the quad :D) If you insist on cabby+PSU then go for the Zebronics Bijili with 400w PSU for ~1.6-1.7k.

PhenomII X4 955 - 9.5k/ Athlon II x4 620 - 5.2k

Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H - 5.9k

Transcend 2 gb 1333mhz -2.6k

Seagate 1TB 7200.12 - 4k

CM Elite 310 - 1.5k

Gigabyte superb 460w - 2.2k

Total - 25k/20k

Go for Phenom 2 x4 955 for GAMING only.

Thanks for these suggestions.. could anyone suggest an intel based setup also..

Also does unlocking Phenom II 550 BE to quadcore require additional hardware tweaks?

Can I do with a 500 gb or 250 HDD for now.. and invest in Phenom II x4 955 and use a Zebronics Bijli or Cooler Master Elite 335 with the stock PSU?

I am not in a hurry.. as in its not an URGENT purchase per se.. but more of a thoughtful build where i would want stuff to be VFM.. i dont mind spending but hate wasting it :p

Any and all suggestions are welcome.. please share :)

If VFM is wat u want then don't take Phenom 2 x4 955.(only for gaming,video editing etc)

Best VFM is PhenomII 550(unlocks to quad core with a good mobo with ACC enabled and if u got right processor)

Second VFM wud be Athlon II x4 620

Best VFM among HDD wud be 500gb

Its out of reach from ur budget.

Cpu- core i5-750- 10.5k

mobo- Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 - 7k

ram- Transcend 2x2gb 1333mhz DDR3 -5k

Cabinet- CM Elite 310 - 1.5k

Psu- Corsair VX 550 - 5.5k

Hdd- 500gb seagate - 2.3k

Total - 30k

Core i5 defeats any amd cpu and spending 30 k on this intel rig will make ur computer futureproof

Go with this intel rig even if it costs u 5k more.

CPU- core i5-750- 10.25k
Mobo- Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 - 6.75k
RAM- Transcend 2GB 1333mhz DDR3 -2.5k
PSU- Gigabyte superb 460w - 2.2k
HDD- 500GB seagate 7200.12 series- 2.3k
This comes to 25.5k :D The Core i-5 750 is better than any AMD Processor out there. But you will need a GPU pretty soon. Better add a low power GPU like the 8400GT~1.5k and then go for a good one later. Anyways you will be able to sell off the 8400GT for 1k.

any suggestions about the new mobos which are usb 3 and sata 3 compliant ?

also.. i dont have much info about cabinets but i would surely like to have one which is well ventilated.. i dont want a side panel or other stuff to show off.. i just want it to be the most functional one.. these days people seem to be going for bottom mounted psu cabinets.. again. my knowledge is very limited.. please share your suggestions.. thanks

Karthi007 said:
CPU- core i5-750- 10.25k
Mobo- Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 - 6.75k
RAM- Transcend 2GB 1333mhz DDR3 -2.5k
PSU- Gigabyte superb 460w - 2.2k
HDD- 500GB seagate 7200.12 series- 2.3k
This comes to 25.5k :D The Core i-5 750 is better than any AMD Processor out there. But you will need a GPU pretty soon. Better add a low power GPU like the 8400GT~1.5k and then go for a good one later. Anyways you will be able to sell off the 8400GT for 1k.

Not a smart choice IMO.

The whole point is lost when you get a 8400GT. I agree that you can always up grade it when you have more money, but some ppl dont like doing that.

i5 750 is not all that fast as you make it sound. A phenom 2 955 for 9.5k is a lot better.
DDR3 does not really make a huge difference so on a low budget its not desirable.
Get a 4850 and a nice Phenom 2 550 or 955...

rajan1311 said:
Not a smart choice IMO.

The whole point is lost when you get a 8400GT. I agree that you can always up grade it when you have more money, but some ppl dont like doing that.

i5 750 is not all that fast as you make it sound. A phenom 2 955 for 9.5k is a lot better.
DDR3 does not really make a huge difference so on a low budget its not desirable.
Get a 4850 and a nice Phenom 2 550 or 955...

Grow up dude. Makes no sense for amd rig when i5 is available at that price .

i am a bit confused now . .between i5 and 955.. i dont encode stuff.. and i am not a enthusiast gamer.. neither do i overclock or play at high settings.. i do watch hd rips and blu ray rips and play counterstrike everyday for 2 -3 hrs .. i5 platform is not supported later.. but i dont think i would be changing my proccy mobo for 4 5 yrs :p .. till that time i think laptops and palmtops would be in rage and not desktops.. so currently what do you peeps suggest... i also am not in a tearing hurry to build a rig.. so looking at the horizon please suggest

i5 beats phenom II X4s. If you can afford i5 buy it without a second thought. Whatever technology comes, desktops won't get extincted due to their rather high stability to heat compared to mobile devices.
For cabinet, go for iBall gamer @ 1.7k. Comes with 2 fans and 400w psu.

Back