Android Looking for tablet under 10k - How about Lava Xtron?

tech12

Disciple
Hello All,

I am looking to buy a tablet under 10 k and I've shortlisted the Lava Xtron tab (not the newer lava Xtron+ tab).

http://www.infibeam.com/Portable_Electronics/i-Lava-ETab-XTRON-Tablet/P-E-PE-Lava-ETAB-XTRON.html

The older Lava Xtron seems to have a better screen with an ips panel than the newer Lava Xtron+

I know Nexus 7 16 Gb is the best value for money option under 10 for the features it provides at this price range but it doesn't have support for 3g data dongles/connectivity ( I probably won't like to get into rooting or any kind of complex stuff to get the 3g data connectivity working on this.)

So what I want to know is if Lava Xtron is a good choice at this price range ? Is it durable to last about a year's time and how 's the service/support from Lava? Is there anything better available at this price range?

Here's what my needs are:

1)Good resolution to be able to read ebooks etc - so text should be clear with good visibility etc.
2)Be able to read/use under sunlight as I think I would carry it outside often.
3)Since it would be used outside frequently, good battery backup is a requirement.
4)3g data is a requirement as wi-fi might not be available outside or during travel(So atleast a 3g dongle connectivity through a usb in case a 3g sim isnot possible).
5)Good Multitasking capabilities as I like to keep open a number of browser windows/tabs at the same time along with other applications etc( but most probably other appliations on this would be limited to a music/video player only as I don't think i would be using any kind of heavy applications or doing any work related stuff on this except reading books).

6) Other uses as stated above include watching movies/youtube videos etc , playing music, surfing net and reading books etc. Probably only a very limited gaming but good to know that it can play some light/medium games, however gaming is not a necessity so it could be ignored.

Welcome any recommendations/suggestions based on the criteria above or about anything that's available that is better than Lava Xtron...

Last edited:
.............So what I want to know is if Lava Xtron is a good choice at this price range ? Is it durable to last about a year's time and how 's the service/support from Lava? Is there anything better available at this price range?

Most feedback about Lava's ASS is that it's horrible. So it is going to be a bit of a gamble. Having said that though, there isn't really much better that's available within the said price range that can meet your requirements. There are a few available from Indian brands. But it can't be said that any of them have any better ASS than Lava.

The only other option I see is from Lenovo (A2107) but that does not quite have the cpu of the Lava. So it is up to you to decide on which is the better trade-off.

My suggestion is to check the Lenovo A2107 (or A1000 which has similar specs iinm) in stores & test it with multiple tabs, apps etc. & see if you can live with the performance.

There's also the option of going with an Ainol. Iinm, the Venus does support external 3g. The reason I've mentioned Ainol is that they are considered to be decent tablet makers. & a few TE members have purchased Ainol tablets, so you'll be able to get some 1st hand feedback on ASS etc.

The other option if you are feeling adventurous is to hack the Nexus 7 to enable dongle support. But as with all hacking ymmv.

HTH

Last edited:
I can't really help you on whether the iBall is a better option or not as I don't really know much about tablets & haven't had any personal experience with one. It's just that I was looking for a tablet earlier & happened to know about a couple of them. Since no replies were forthcoming I just gave you a heads up.

I'd still suggest you see the tablets you are considering in stores before you make a purchase as specs are just that - specs. Whether something that has better on-paper specs is necessarily better (& required for your purpose) can best be gauged that way.

As for Ainol, yes, they mainly operate in India through their site & through ebay. Which is why if you're considering it, it's best to get feedback about TE members' AInol experiences before taking the plunge. I mentioned it only because it is considered a decent albeit medium tier Chinese brand & has support for ROMS & such via various forums.

Again, at the said price, you are going to have to make compromises either with the brand or specs. It's your choice as to what tradeoff is better. I'm sure there will be spec-wise better options yet from Indian brands if we search enough. Amongst the better brands, there is just that Lenovo AFAIK.

Anyway, I think you should really wait for replies from more experienced members. Maybe they'll be able to help you better. Sorry I couldn't be much help. Good luck!

Back