Looking for Zero/Non Flickering Bulbs & Tubelight

jakehifi

Recruit
Hi FM,
I'm looking to replace all lights in my room to Non Flickering ones.
Could anyone where suggest where I can buy some bulbs & tubelights that do not Flicker?

You can put your phone's camera in Slo - mo 240fps mode and point at your lights to test flicker

Incandescent does not flicker.

If you're thinking of LED's I don't know if these are available due to high price.

The high quality ones used in torches don't flicker but are expensive.

Do you have a problem with existing LED's?

The non flickering LED will be highly inefficient, are you ready to pay the bills?

The reason they flicker is because they are running on PWM (pulse width modulated) signal, which allow them to turn on for small amount of time and then turn off, and the cycle repeats. The switching frequency is so high that it appears to human eyes that the LED is on all the time due to persistence of vision, but it is switching.

Switching as many benefits
  • You can run higher current through the LEDs when you are switching them at high frequency.
  • It also generates less heat, because half the time LED is off.
  • Extends the life of the LEDs because they are not under extreme stress.
In cases the switching is visible to naked eye while being stationary, most of time it indicates that something is failing inside the LEDs circuit, which has increased it's overall switching frequency.

Although some people claim that they get headaches when they are exposed to high frequency switching LEDs, very rare cases.

Last edited:

Incandescent does not flicker.
Less but does, try viewing it from your phones camera in 240 fps slo mo
If you're thinking of LED's I don't know if these are available due to high price.
There are actually a few but the problem is they aren't advertised as flicker free. Those which are advertised as flicker free especially by Phillips aren't really flicker free, just gimmick.
The high quality ones used in torches don't flicker but are expensive.
Those lights which run on DC, generally, do not Flicker. There are bulbs & lights which have chips built inside them that converts AC to DC. I've one and it doesn't flicker.
Do you have a problem with existing LED's?
Lots of people have without the realisation yet.
It strain eyes like when you're studying for long hours.

$18 - $20 per bulb for the first batch of LED's with a flicker rate under 1%

Also notice it isn't enough to show flicker but measure what the flicker rate is. 10% or below is fine. But you need a flicker meter for that. There is no such thing as thing as zero flicker but it's possible to get it down very low.

That's the model he uses which costs $125

Or DIY one yourself

The Phillips at 3% flicker and Sylvania at 1.5% are cheaper at $5 a bulb. Amazing colour spectrum reflected in the 90 plus CRI. Didn't know it was possible to get such values with LED's :woot:

As for power consumed the 100W Sylvania consumes 15W which is standard and the 40W Phillips consumes 5W.

So there isn't a penalty here :happy:

When will these be available in India is anyone's guess. The equipment he's using to do measurements is very handy.

There was a company that had these lights but they were twice the price with poor warranty compliance. Result is a failed product.

They called it eyeluv. No warm light all cool light

Last edited:
Back