Looking to buy a 1-2tb External HDD.

Of course size matters, 2.5 inchers are portable and powered off the usb itself, while 3.5" sit on your desktop and use an ac power adapter. Decide on the type of usage first.

Of course size matters, 2.5 inchers are portable and powered off the usb itself, while 3.5" sit on your desktop and use an ac power adapter. Decide on the type of usage first.
Both work for me, really. I understand the difference. Anyhow, ill pick a 2.5" just for ease.

You mentioned bang for buck. A 2.5" costs about double an equivalent 3.5"... My bad, portable and desktop hdd pricing is making zero sense. what the heck is going on???

Either ways, i've had success with WD. currently using a 1tb my passport and an 8tb my book. and old 2tb seagate backup plus (7200rpm) is shucked and inside the pc.

I was looking to buy an 8tb+ desktop drive but right now the pricing on HDDs is insane as with everything else. Bestbuy usa was selling an 8tb desktop for 130 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned bang for buck. A 2.5" costs about double an equivalent 3.5"... My bad, portable and desktop hdd pricing is making zero sense. what the heck is going on???

Either ways, i've had success with WD. currently using a 1tb my passport and an 8tb my book. and old 2tb seagate backup plus (7200rpm) is shucked and inside the pc.

I was looking to buy an 8tb+ desktop drive but right now the pricing on HDDs is insane as with everything else. Bestbuy usa was selling an 8tb desktop for 130 bucks.
All good my man. WD it is. Pricing is really weird. Anyways, I'll update you guys with whatever I end up buying.

Recently read some words of wisdom. It went something like 'all hard drives eventually have a 100% failure rate'. So need to keep this in mind when using an hdd for archival purposes.

Recently read some words of wisdom. It went something like 'all hard drives eventually have a 100% failure rate'. So need to keep this in mind when using an hdd for archival purposes.

Nice one dear !
But i'd prefer cloud backup if I am really serious about backup. But keep in mind the privacy risk also involved in it.

The number of backups a person has depends on the amount of money he has to take backups and the importance of the data. Drive prices are through the roof every year in India. I doubt anyone keeps more than 1 backup of their data. Banks and other organisations with unlimited money would go the 3-2-1/2 way. Normal people probably zero or one disk.

The 3-2-1 backup is for important data, like documents and maybe photos. Photos don't really need more than 2 copies (1+1). For most people it's maybe a few GB at most. 3-2-1 is not for pr0n and dvd-rips !

Back