Android Lost mobile phone

Did you have any message on the lock screen with the contact number to reach in case the phone was found?
Unfortunately, no. I didn't add any message to the lockscreen. I tried calling my number after the incident, but it was off. I waited at least 2-3 days before acquiring a new SIM card in the hopes that it would switch on.

I waited at least 2-3 days before acquiring a new SIM card in the hopes that it would switch on.
Never do this! If one gets hold of your any kind of personal information they can wipe your bank accounts clean by resetting passwords or doing transactions and they'll even get OTPs to let then through.
Immediately get new SIM cards issued and say it was "lost" not stolen, else you'll need copy of FIR which you may not have as it's not easily filed by the police for stolen gadgets.

Never do this! If one gets hold of your any kind of personal information they can wipe your bank accounts clean by resetting passwords or doing transactions and they'll even get OTPs to let then through.
Immediately get new SIM cards issued and say it was "lost" not stolen, else you'll need copy of FIR which you may not have as it's not easily filed by the police for stolen gadgets.
That's something I hadn't thought of. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for bringing it up.

To make transactions you need more than that. Using any card requires a CVV. Netbanking requires passwords which if you did not execute on the mobile won't be there. If you did then passwords are saved (if set up that way) and anyone can do what you said with physical access to the phone.

I don't know about google pay & UPI since I don't use them.

I would agree on this depending on the degree of risk faced as time went on. Time here meaning 2-3 days

To make transactions you need more than that. Using any card requires a CVV. Netbanking requires passwords which if you did not execute on the mobile won't be there. If you did then passwords are saved (if set up that way) and anyone can do what you said with physical access to the phone.

I don't know about google pay & UPI since I don't use them.
May not have heard of SMS banking and UPI without internet using short codes. Also some banks rely on OTPs for password resets. If one has the SIM and some kind of personal information then it's definitely possible. I'm sure if you lost your SIM right now you'd be worried for many other reasons including this one.

In any case it's not a good idea to keep the SIM active any longer than after it's lost.

May not have heard of SMS banking and UPI without internet using short codes.
Ah, USSD codes can also be used with banks. Upto now I've used them only with airtel

Also some banks rely on OTPs for password resets. If one has the SIM and some kind of personal information then it's definitely possible.
How do I make a payment using these codes? seems they are query related or very narrow task related. If info is what you're after then these will work

Some old doc from SBI had an IMPS pay cmd, if that's operational then you can transfer funds

I'm sure if you lost your SIM right now you'd be worried for many other reasons including this one.
SIM means no online transactions until the bank gets informed. The phone is a bigger hassle and is the reason i try to limit mobile transactions. Don't know how successfully though

I don't have my bank's app on the phone because it refuses to work if the number is assigned to more than one account. Good for me :)
In any case it's not a good idea to keep the SIM active any longer than after it's lost.
Noted
My phone was stolen a couple of months ago.
Mind telling us how it happened? Did they pull it out of your pocket, or bag or you left it unattended and discovered it was gone after?

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

My phone was stolen a couple of months ago. I reported the matter to the police, but they were unhelpful. Every time I questioned them about it, they always said they were looking for it. I'm convinced they won't offer any assistance at all.

Recently, I came across an Instagram page that advertised its ability to track a missing phone in exchange for payment. The profile looked legit, so I wanted to see if any member on this forum has any past experience with the promises made on the aforementioned Instagram profile.

Thank You!
Man always get FIR registered because you may not know but some hanky-pancky things would done by others and police would be on your dore step.So better get FIR registered .Police officer wont do it because it increase number of fir for them and they have to work on that case.so some progress may even try to search it

If they aren`t then helpful then search on Internet for help, steps procedure to file and FIR .like in reddits advocate circle. IN which ever city you are search on police official website. Check if you can do an file an online FIR .or take help of any advocate offline to file FIR .You can also take help of police senior officers

Back