Lost your phone here is the hope

ankxxs

Adept
Manjeet Singh Bakshi , a delhi based trader lost his mobile phone Motorola L9 to a pickpocket. He went to local police station to file a FIR but police officer laughed him & told him to forget his mobile phone. But instead of losing hope he filed an RTI with his IMEI no.,SIM details & submitted it to office of the commissioner of police, Delhi. Within a month an FIR was registered & after a week of that police called back & told him that his phone has been recovered. (article HT, 29/1/10/, Front page).

Now all those fellows who have lost their mobile phones don't lose hope use RTI to recover your phone instead of giving up. Not only in case of mobile phone RTI can help in various ways like delay in passport getting made, FIR not being registered to procure some information from goverment departments. Use RTI its our Right.

I may be put as a spammer for posting this but I wanted to share this beause it is very agonizing to lose your stuff & being embarrased by police people when they tell you forget it.It our hard earned money or of our parents why the hell we should just give it.:no:

Re: Lost your phone here ios the hope

TECH HUNTER said:
luck chap.

Its not only luck bro, its use of our own right. Mobile phones can be found by simply tracking the IMEI no. which police refuse to do even though its simple job & to do that police have to register a complaint because cell phone companies don't allow tracking of IMEI no. without registered complaint & police don't register complaint to keep no. of crimes & complaints low in their certain area.
Its not only about mobile phones its about getting your work done in govt. depts. withou bribing or other wrongful method.

No offences to any1 but RTI has proven a really good to fight red tapism. Think about people paying bribes to get their passports made even with all correct documents, paying bribes for electrical connection for no reason. There are numerous case in which RTI has proven really helpful.

TECH HUNTER said:
I have seen many people misusing RTI.(as my father being govt officer)

its a useless rule except in some special cases as such.

I'm yet to come across a useless use so far. It pushes people to do some work, what can be bad about it.

Well, my N82 got stolen a few months back, and there was no problem faced by me in registering a FIR with the police.....but they are still unable to trace my N82 (or they don't want to)...does RTI forces the police to act fast on the FIR ?

TECH HUNTER said:

You could hav sed that if taking bribe was a fundamental right..:rofl:

I've seen fist hand how these govt bodies function and how much these babu's and sahabs trouble people..:mad:

TECH HUNTER said:

No offence to your Dad, but I'd say most Bureaucrats are useless. RTI is exactly the whip that is needed to get them to do some work worthy of their salaries.

goodakash said:
Well, my N82 got stolen a few months back, and there was no problem faced by me in registering a FIR with the police.....but they are still unable to trace my N82 (or they don't want to)...does RTI forces the police to act fast on the FIR ?

Bro registering a FIR is altogather a different thing & working on it is really different. Do u knw the status of ur FIR that where they hv proceded with the investigation?

Do they really wrote FIR or wrote down your complaint on plain peace of paper & put heir stamp on it? If they did this thn its not FIR. Write a RTI, it will cost u Rs.10 & rs2 per page for any page of info.4m any file & rs 300 to get it on cd for a large amount of info.

blr_p said:
Good to know RTI can be used for this purpose, otherwise you have to do this

That was pretty wicked on ur part & too dumb on tht kids part 2 not 2 throw away the chip.:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

pretttt said:
No offence to your Dad, but I'd say most Bureaucrats are useless. RTI is exactly the whip that is needed to get them to do some work worthy of their salaries.

Arya said:
I'm yet to come across a useless use so far. It pushes people to do some work, what can be bad about it.

RTI is a powerful WEAPON if used properly and legitimately.
I personally have experience where RTI helped me to get my grievances solved.
but there are many cases where it can be misused just to trouble the bureaucrats.
WEAPON is used by defense forces and also criminals.
saem is the case here.
then why don't you look into the dark side of this act.
To mention a few examples,
I go to local police station and ask for voluminous information asking for how many cases are filed in past 5 years and what is the status of all pending cases and reasons for pending cases and also how the funds are used.
all these information is not of use to me,but i want to trouble them.
I simply say in public interest i need this information just paying only 10/-(ofcourse we need not cite reason for RTI).
so,they should leave the law and order to god and keep digging for the information for weeks together.
This would be the cases if one person files RTI.but what would be the situation of that department if these requests increases.
They should remove the Police station board and keep RTI Information cell.
Even an employee of the same department who has access to all the information he needs can file RTI who intends to trouble his boss.The RTI commission supports even such nonsense.
The media people approach bureaucrats and trouble them this way regularly if these bureaucrats don't bribe them.
The even worse they go is for sting operation and ask for even more ransom else they would be telecast.
same is the case with politicians who trouble the bureaucrats who doesn't favor them.

If you still want to know real-time issues how RTI was misused;how?where and when you can call me(its getting lengthy).

Party Monger said:
You could hav sed that if taking bribe was a fundamental right..:rofl:
I've seen fist hand how these govt bodies function and how much these babu's and sahabs trouble people..:mad:
RTI is like a rod down their ass...:hap2:

If you are in a well and doesn't want to thing beyond that,then it would be better if you keep quite instead of passing sarcastic comments.

ankxxs said:
That was pretty wicked on ur part & too dumb on tht kids part 2 not 2 throw away the chip.:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Not me that linked thread was all superczar :)
@tech hunter : What do you suggest be done about RTI then ?

blr_p said:
@tech hunter : What do you suggest be done about RTI then ?
first thing that should be changed is,who ever requests for the information they should provide proper reasons for what and why they need this information is for.
In case if the reason is sensitive are secret,they should get the permission from secretariat for that.

Denial power should also be given if they have a valid causes for why they should not be given or unable to give the requested information.
If the commission considers the reason is justified,they can reject the request.

This would help the act to some extent.

TECH HUNTER said:
first thing that should be changed is,who ever requests for the information they should provide proper reasons for what and why they need this information is for.
In case if the reason is sensitive are secret,they should get the permission from secretariat for that.

Denial power should also be given if they have a valid causes for why they should not be given or unable to give the requested information.
If the commission considers the reason is justified,they can reject the request.

This would help the act to some extent.

Yes and govt officials will not exploit this, right?;)

Party Monger said:
Yes and govt officials will not exploit this, right?;)

To exploit the complete power will not be in their hands.
The power equally rests with the govt and also the RTI commission.
only thing they can do is to bring in the notice of the commission why they can't do that and be prepared to appear before the commission for explanation and judgement.
so,unless it is worth that hassle they don't go for that option.
but can help them form blackmails and harassment.

TECH HUNTER said:
I have seen many people misusing RTI.(as my father being govt officer) its a useless rule except in some special cases as such.
That's the whole crux of your argument isn't it :)

In your eyes, misuse if RTI outbeats legitimate applications and then you extrapolate your personal experience for the whole of the country. So since you make this claim, can you point to any credible sources to strengthen your position ? -- that in total of all RTI applications filed, majority were to harrass & waste time. Then define what 'harass' and 'waste time' means. What exactly constitutes 'misuse' of RTI ?

If possible also can you show whether western countries with similar Freedom of Information legislation manage do it any differently. Show how they cut down on time waste.

Yes, you need to make your case robustly because what you want amounts to diluting rights accorded to the people. You would rather have right-to-ignore act :)

All of it is spec'd in the RTI Act, there should be provisions therein it to cater to this sort of abuse.

blr_p said:
That's the whole crux of your argument isn't it :)

In your eyes, misuse if RTI outbeats legitimate applications and then you extrapolate your personal experience for the whole of the country. So since you make this claim, can you point to any credible sources to strengthen your position ? -- that in total of all RTI applications filed, majority were to harrass & waste time. Then define what 'harass' and 'waste time' means. What exactly constitutes 'misuse' of RTI ?

If possible also can you show whether western countries with similar Freedom of Information legislation manage do it any differently. Show how they cut down on time waste.

Yes, you need to make your case robustly because what you want amounts to diluting rights accorded to the people.

All of it is spec'd in the RTI act, there should be provisions therein it to cater to this sort of abuse.

I am not saying every case of RTI is the same.
see no of cases is not equal to number of crimes.
Its doesn't mean because there are less cases of being misused the problem is not there.
As many of the bureaucrats doesn't cry on these things,it may seem to pubic smaller.

The majority of the people doesn't know about RTI,but it's just matter of time to exploit it.
As politicians and media people are quitwitted they got their first hands on experience on exploiting it.
soon there will come a day to amened this act for being misused then you return to this thread and read the whole again.

TECH HUNTER said:
I am not saying every case of RTI is the same.
see no of cases is not equal to number of crimes.
Its doesn't mean because there are less cases of being misused there problem is not there.
As many of the bureaucrats doesn't cry on these things,it may seem to pubic smaller.
The problem is you're seeking an amendment of this Act that will make it harder for the genuine cases to be redressed. You already admitted that misuse falls in the minority therefore the majority are genuine. The majority number matters here, not the minority.

TECH HUNTER said:
The majority of the people doesn't know about RTI,but it's just matter of time to exploit it.
As politicians and media people are quitwitted they got their first hands on experience on exploiting it.
soon there will come a day to amened this act for being misused then you return to this thread and read the whole again.
It's a time consuming process, consider the mental agony,time and money spent on filing these rti's for genuine information. The time spent by public servants is not their personal time. They spend their time comfortably, during their "paid working hours". The loss is for the "public" only as they alone have incurred the loss both as the "tax payer" and as the individual. This fact alone should go pretty far in stemming the frivolous use of RTI, wouldn't you say.

RTI is a little pin the common man can use to bother the well entrenched government and you want to blunt it !!

Back