All OS Low display PPI on the iPhone XR

DKRtech

Disciple
How many of you think the 326 PPI of the XR is going to be inferior or bothersome coming from the 401 PPI of the iPhone 6s Plus. I think the iPhone XR 128 at 80k Indian price is definitely the most sensible of the bunch of iPhone launched last week. Your thoughts please.

There's nothing sensible about apple and pricing of the latest phones. iphone Xr can't play 1080p videos on youtube . that alone is a deal breaker for me. I think iphone X would be the best bet than Xr imo. 720p screen in 2018 is really something. people can definitely see the difference between 720p and 1080p than say 1080p and 4k on small screens of smartphones.

I have the same thoughts, I think am going to stick with my 6s Plus happily. Though am really tempted by the Watch Series 4. I have the Series 0 and it’s the right time to upgrade with a true leap in features and capabilities of the Series 4. In fact this year the Apple Watch is the real star and the iPhone are underwhelming and truly insane in terms of pricing in India.

Its sad that thye have gone back to the PPI of something they launched in 2014...when at the same time the galaxy line was already launching 1080 displays. I dont think they would have increased the price by more than a few dollars if they added on a 1080 screen instead of theis. So why did they make such a decision?

The same reason they dont include the lightning to headphone jack connector along with the phone..
They want you to spend more money and get the phone with the better display..

The choice of resolution for the iPhone XR has to do with the ideal scaling for the OS. Still, they could have managed to cram the same resolution as in the smaller XS, since the aspect ratios are the same between all three iPhones this year. Apple probably wanted to differentiate the XR significantly in some way from the XS and decided to sort of cripple the display in terms of resolution. The lower resolution though aids the XR to be the best in terms of battery life even thought its battery is about 200mAh smaller than even the XS Max. My biggest gripe is the pricing in India especially. Also, 128GB should have been the base storage on the XS and XS Max. My 2 cents here.

Its sad that thye have gone back to the PPI of something they launched in 2014...when at the same time the galaxy line was already launching 1080 displays. I dont think they would have increased the price by more than a few dollars if they added on a 1080 screen instead of theis. So why did they make such a decision?

lew did a good video regarding this. Its insane they're forcing 720p screen on 750$ phone by giving it a new name. liquid retina my ass

I have the same thoughts, I think am going to stick with my 6s Plus happily. Though am really tempted by the Watch Series 4. I have the Series 0 and it’s the right time to upgrade with a true leap in features and capabilities of the Series 4. In fact this year the Apple Watch is the real star and the iPhone are underwhelming and truly insane in terms of pricing in India.
apple watch 4 truly hit it out of the park. apple watch since series 2 is truly better than every wearable on the market except hardcore outdoor enthusiasts.

i dont know whether i should start new thread for my doubt. But anyway, shall put it here....

Will iphone X* bought in usa support india's 4g frequencies? My pantech burst and lg g3 didnt support indias 4g so i am not sure whether iphones support it. And friend using usa's iphone 6s said to me that his phone is supporting jio/ indian 4g frequencies.

So does that mean iphones support 4g frequencies of both usa and india?

i dont know whether i should start new thread for my doubt. But anyway, shall put it here....

Will iphone X* bought in usa support india's 4g frequencies? My pantech burst and lg g3 didnt support indias 4g so i am not sure whether iphones support it. And friend using usa's iphone 6s said to me that his phone is supporting jio/ indian 4g frequencies.

@Harpy.eagle I can vouch for that, considering I have been using a 6s bought from USA for over 3 years now, with both Jio and Airtel 4G alternatively. I am not sure about the iPhone X, although considering it's a successor to the 6s, I expect it would work flawlessly. The best option would be to contact Apple Support (use the Live Chat facility) and ask them. Just my two cents.. :)

@Harpy.eagle I can vouch for that, considering I have been using a 6s bought from USA for over 3 years now, with both Jio and Airtel 4G alternatively. I am not sure about the iPhone X, although considering it's a successor to the 6s, I expect it would work flawlessly. The best option would be to contact Apple Support (use the Live Chat facility) and ask them. Just my two cents.. :)

i just went through apple website and its showing same model number for both regions, usa and india for models 7 and 8 (no data for 6th version). But for X* variants, model numbers are different. Isnt there anyone on TE, having iphone xs imported from usa, using here in india?

If its a factory unlocked phone, it'll work with airtel and jio in india without any worries

Just got to play around with the XR for a while and you really cant tell that its a lower PPI screen for sure.

I am not happy about the fact that they have priced it at 76k and gone for an LCD screen, but on usage basis it works fine. Wish they had gone for the OLED screen at this price.

tks. Do u have any first hand experience? With which model?
friend is using iphone X on airtel bought from usa unlocked. phones bought factory unlocked from usa can be used directly in india without any problem but phones bought from carriers like sprint/at&t/ verizon need to be unlocked before able to use it in india.

OT:

So does that mean android phones are inferior to iphones as far as network compatibility as well? I dont see much android phones bought in usa supporting 4g/lte and volte in india. Pantech burst which was lte mobile for usa didnt support India's 4g, neither lg g3 from sprint (again 4g for usa networks) supports 4g in India. :banghead:

Surprisingly i came across one verizon lg g3 owner having support for jio and airtel 4g o_O

Btw is there a thread discussing these network compatibility issues for mobile phones? I didnt come across one and feeling like i am posting too much OT. Also search words i used for checking such thread were too generic to get any worthy results.

OT:

So does that mean android phones are inferior to iphones as far as network compatibility as well? I dont see much android phones bought in usa supporting 4g/lte and volte in india. Pantech burst which was lte mobile for usa didnt support India's 4g, neither lg g3 from sprint (again 4g for usa networks) supports 4g in India. :banghead:

Surprisingly i came across one verizon lg g3 owner having support for jio and airtel 4g o_O

Btw is there a thread discussing these network compatibility issues for mobile phones? I didnt come across one and feeling like i am posting too much OT. Also search words i used for checking such thread were too generic to get any worthy results.

Not exactly - its due to numbers and CTS. Thats because there are just several iphones at max, while there are so many Android phones. If you take a USA Pixel (OG/2/3 and XL variants) and try in India, it should work without any issues. Ditto for the OP6T. These are phones which have the proper bands for 4G/LTE and by extension, VoLTE, plus have been tested in Indian MSPs and should work.

Coming to phones like Burst, these do not have the bands needed for 4G/LTE in India. Nothing can be done for these.

Then we have the Samsung phones which use Exynos in the Indian/International variants, while using Snapdragon for USA variants - 4G/LTE will work on these, not VoLTE which needs CTS.

If you need help, post here. Or ask people like @kuduku or @cisco_tech who import phones, they can give pointers!

OT:

Not at all.. It's nothing magical even most of the 100 dollar phones in moto Samsung will work in both countries.. It doesn't require any "superiority"

Just got to play around with the XR for a while and you really cant tell that its a lower PPI screen for sure.

I am not happy about the fact that they have priced it at 76k and gone for an LCD screen, but on usage basis it works fine. Wish they had gone for the OLED screen at this price.
I think this topic is overblown. Does anyone really need FHD on a phone screen ?!?

imagine how much better battery would be if it was HD instead of 2k and more

See, the problem has always been quality of the screen. But everybody harps on about specs.

A good screen is more expensive than some higher PPI[DOUBLEPOST=1542916221][/DOUBLEPOST]
friend is using iphone X on airtel bought from usa unlocked. phones bought factory unlocked from usa can be used directly in india without any problem but phones bought from carriers like sprint/at&t/ verizon need to be unlocked before able to use it in india.
factory unlocked and carrier unlocked

Same thing ?

Has to be unlocked before using here

I don't even know what locked means. Everything sold here is not locked

Back