Low download speed

You have TEN ISPs???? I find it hard to believe ALL of them don't follow the sneaky "hard disk" style marketing speed/data amounts - the whole "MB" (mega byte) versus "MiB" (mebi byte) debate.

Also, my home ISP, the great BSNL sets my downlink speed to "4000" kbps (as visible on my router) for a 4 mbps plan. and I get max 3.2 mbps on speed tests.

each location has 2 ISPs, while mumbai has 3. With 4 locations - Mumbai, Daman, HP and TN - thats 9 ISPs and at home rajesh hathway.

At least there are some ISPs which doesn't follow FUP policy.

Excitel is one such ISP and 1 another from Gurugram I heard.

ACT is just leeching the end users just like that but Thier service quality is much better than Hathway or You Broadband.

Jio FTTH is the only way to get good competition.

Google Fibre may never come to India I think.

Really sorry for a late reply guys.

Thanks to all of you for your replies :).

Well, some things happened in these past few days.

The fiber was having problems, and the ping to their server from my computer was breaking a lot. As a result, none of the sites were opening, or were taking too much time to open. I complained to their office, and they sent a few guys, and they tried to search for the problem for an hour or so, but were unable to find it. Next day in the morning, there was no connection at all. So, I complained again, & this time, another of their fiber guy came, and he found the problem in the box from where my connection was, which the earlier guys had not checked.

This problem had been recurring since a number of days, and I think, around that time only the download speed problem had started occurring. I had complained about it earlier too, but they didn't solve it, because they came late, & when they came, the net was working just okay, & the pings weren't breaking were little, after a lot of pings. So, they didn't solve the problem those times. They should have.

I also talked to that guy about the low download speed, and he said that he would bypass the complaint guys, and would talk directly to their boss.

So, after that, I am now getting good download speed as I was getting before, or even better.

I am now getting download speed of over 2.5 MB/s, or even over 3 MB/s, which is what I should be getting.

So, I think, it must have been the problem in the fiber cable, which was causing the problem, which seems like the best bet... or, that guy went & talked to his boss, after which the speed improved. First one seems likely. Could be second too.

I had posted this problem on another international forum too, & there a guy's post made it clear about what the package meant, and what download speed I should be getting. Here is what he wrote.

If you have a 25Mbps package that means you have a 25 Mbps(megabits per second) download speed, which converted to bytes is 3.125 MBps(megabytes per second) download speed. Internet packages are almost always advertised with bits not bytes and its generally the download not the upload speed that they advertise. Upload speed is generally lower than the download speed but there are some exceptions especially with fiber connections where they might be the same. You keep thinking the reverse, that your download speed should be lower than your upload speed and that's wrong.

@vivek.krishnan had already posted that the download speed should be around 3 MB/s, which is correct.

After this, I am now getting great speed on the android phone too, otherwise earlier, it used to download like a snail. I think the problem in the line was the issue.

Thank you everyone :).

Back