CPU/Mobo Low power CPU/Mobo with more SATA ports

8TB might not be available in other than red or purple, but does not mean it will not be a binned drive - it could be a 8TB RED which was found defective and recertified at factory?. that is my issue.

8TB might not be available in other than red or purple, but does not mean it will not be a binned drive - it could be a 8TB RED which was found defective and recertified at factory?. that is my issue.
Is it possible that refurb hard drives are repurposed for external storage?

Lower binned drives might be used for that but refurbed components for brand new external drives seems a bit icky from a company perspective in case somebody finds out.It is easy enough to find out HDD age with Crystal Disk Info and the likes don't you think?

I get your point though.This is more akin to taking a leap of faith keeping in mind that backing up a large capacity HDD to prevent data loss due to drive failure is a PITA.

However an 11-12k price difference is too tasty to pass up on.
@vivek.krishnan thanks for playing devil's advocate though.

Damn I am confused....:banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Is it possible that refurb hard drives are repurposed for external storage?

Lower binned drives might be used for that but refurbed components for brand new external drives seems a bit icky from a company perspective in case somebody finds out.It is easy enough to find out HDD age with Crystal Disk Info and the likes don't you think?

I get your point though.This is more akin to taking a leap of faith keeping in mind that backing up a large capacity HDD to prevent data loss due to drive failure is a PITA.

However an 11-12k price difference is too tasty to pass up on.
@vivek.krishnan thanks for playing devil's advocate though.

Damn I am confused....:banghead::banghead:

I was going to pickup 2 of the 8TBs to put in a synology box, but passed it up when I saw that they had changed the HDDs twice or thrice - helium enterprise > WD Red > WD blue (maybe)

I would not want to take a risk in that case, as even though the device will be backing up to a cloud vendor, its something I dont like. I need to get rid of my 4*3TB HDDs

@cyberwarfare Your points?

I was going to pickup 2 of the 8TBs to put in a synology box, but passed it up when I saw that they had changed the HDDs twice or thrice - helium enterprise > WD Red > WD blue (maybe)

I would not want to take a risk in that case, as even though the device will be backing up to a cloud vendor, its something I dont like. I need to get rid of my 4*3TB HDDs

@cyberwarfare Your points?
Decided to go with your advice and curb the Desi Chindichor inside.

Got a quote of 29.5k all inclusive from Velocity Computers for WD Red 8 TB .Will be putting down 10k as advance today.
They are saying they can get that within a week or so.

Decided to go with your advice and curb the Desi Chindichor inside.

Got a quote of 29.5k all inclusive from Velocity Computers for WD Red 8 TB .Will be putting down 10k as advance today.
They are saying they can get that within a week or so.

Why are you going with 8TB? Do you need that much?

Why are you going with 8TB? Do you need that much?
I am future proofing just to be safe.That as well as the point that I have 4 SATA ports is dictating my decision in this matter.Chucked the plan for a el cheapo 120 GB SSD for the OS drive and added the balance to get an 8 TB right now.

Have received the mobo today and will be assembling it once I get home.Just keeping my fingers crossed that the budget Corsair Value Select 1333 MHz 8 GB DDR3L RAM that I have works else all will be nought.

Added the motherboard and initially ran into a lot of issues with the CMOS Date / Time Not Set Error where my Logitech G510s didn't work on the BIOS screen.No F2/Del/F1 literally no key worked.Tried resetting the BIOS,changing CMOS battery but still it crapped out.

Plugged in a 10 year old Microsoft PS2 keyboard and was finally able to boot into Windows but then ran into another major issue
Windows couldn't activate although I had started using a Microsoft account linked to my local account precisely to reactivate Windows.
I had checked on Microsoft linked devices page and my PC was showing up there.I used this tutorial to reactivate Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

I tried using the Troubleshooter on the Windows activation page(under settings) but it didn't reroute to a device linkage page as per all web tutorials but threw me an error "Unable to Activate Windows".

Tried slui.exe 4 to bring up the MS helpline number and called it but they are offline now.Will try again tomorrow.

MS Support was absolutely useless in activating Windows after 3 tries.Tried with an old Windows 10 key that I had from my old desktop which has been sold off and it worked.:):)

@vivek.krishnan I have uploaded the pic of my cabinet innards like you said.
https://ibb.co/fmKMva

The red part has my 2 WD Red 4 TBs now.Ambient temp for these two are around 45C as per Speccy.

Th green part is the vertical 5.25 drive where I will be putting in my new 8 TB with an adapter like the one in this link below.
https://www.deltapage.com/hdd-bracket-for-3-5-inch-hard-drive-to-5-25-inch-pc-bay/

I couldn't summon the energy to do better cable management at 3 AM in the night though.:dead::dead:

I was thinking of getting a 2 bay HDD cage if available and dump it in the cabinet floor to hold an SSD and possibly an HDD in the future but have discarded those plans for now.The new drive will last longer than this cheap cabinet I have and then anyways I think I will need to upgrade to good peripherals like say a CM120/Node 304 and SFX PSU combo.Hopefully the Node 304 or its equivalent will be priced sanely in India by then.

Thanks a lot guys for pitching in with your help and suggestions....

C
Thats a standard cabby - you just need to add fans/ventilation holes in the front to get it cool.

I got this : https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/itx-cabinet-morex-6600-w-o-psu.176032/
I have upgraded my main gaming rig only twice over the last 5 years but this little one has seen 4 upgrades from Core 2 Duo>Atom D410>AMD C350>J1800>J4205.

The weirdest thing is that I have more or less lost my passion for gaming and now I am thinking since I have so much capital invested in terms of data and hard drives in this ITX rig it is the better bet to upgrade to a better PSU/cabby.

When it comes to cabinets I prefer the tall slim ones over the short fat ones...;)

I am willing to make an exception for a Fractal Node 304 though.It has enough space for 6 hard drives...:headphone:
Just the fact that it is way overpriced in India for a 90$ case.:mad:

Last edited:
C

I have upgraded my main gaming rig only twice over the last 5 years but this little one has seen 4 upgrades from Core 2 Duo>Atom D410>AMD C350>J1800>J4205.

The weirdest thing is that I have more or less lost my passion for gaming and now I am thinking since I have so much capital invested in terms of data and hard drives in this ITX rig it is the better bet to upgrade to a better PSU/cabby.

When it comes to cabinets I prefer the tall slim ones over the short fat ones...;)

I am willing to make an exception for a Fractal Node 304 though.It has enough space for 6 hard drives...:headphone:
Just the fact that it is way overpriced in India for a 90$ case.:mad:

If you have a cabby with 3 5.25" slots, you can do what I have done, get a 3x5 case which allows for 5 HDDs to be slotted vertically. Plus it come with its own fan.

Optionally, you could pay 2K, get a PCIe mount for a m2 SSD - either PCI or SATA key. But I would keep that slot free for a HBA like the M1015 which will allow more HDDs to be added.
I have a PCIe x1 slot only on this mobo as Apollo Lake has only 6 PCI lanes.
The M1015 is a x4 card I guess.
On top of that the M2 slot is for a Type 2230 Wifi/BT module only and doesn't support any SSD.

I will keep the x1 slot free and depend on the screw to keep a light SSD in place though.
I might get a IO Crest SY-PEX40039 2 Port SATA III PCIexpress x1 Card in the future for adding HDDs.

http://www.amazon.in/IO-Crest-SY-PE...=UTF8&qid=1490708136&sr=8-1&keywords=PEX40039

It has a Asmedia controller(same as the one on my mobo although its Rev1) and it works without any issues as per Newegg reviews for my board.
Check the first review that comes up.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157731

Last edited:
If you have a cabby with 3 5.25" slots, you can do what I have done, get a 3x5 case which allows for 5 HDDs to be slotted vertically. Plus it come with its own fan.

I have a HAF 902 for my main rig which looked the bomb to me a few years back but right now it looks obese and ugly to me.The drawbacks of growing older I guess.

I want a small to medium sized case as the amount of stuff on my desk is too damn high.I saw these adapters as I was searching for a 2 bay HDD cage and I don't have that much space.One more 8 TB 3-4 years down the line would be enough provided I don't die of old age.:p

Et tu Brute????

BTW I got my WD Red 8 TB (WD80EFZX) this weekend and set it up.Now I am in a quandary as to whether set up a spanned drive using my 4 and 8 TB Reds in tandem or not?

My only worry is that if one drive fails both will be screwed.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-storage-spaces-windows-10

Then fall, Marcus!

I decided on the spur of the moment, mainly as a test.

Rather than doing a spanned, why not split into 2 partitions and then mirror some and span some. This way the important data remains mirrored, but the unimportant stuff can take a hike ;)

Back