Budget 10-15K Lumia 520 vs. HTC 8S

I am looking to upgrade my current, very useless phone. I have always wanted to try a Windows Phone and these two seem to fit the bill. If there is another phone around the same price range which would be better than these two, do let me know. I have no OS preference.

So which one should I get? I'm getting both of these phones for $150.
Also, I have the option of getting a Nexus 4 on a contract but I'm not sure if it'll be a good idea since I guess we will get an upgrade to that phone later this year and thus I wouldn't want to be stuck with it for the next 2 years.

What would I be missing if I go with either of these two windows phones? Anybody here have them?

P.S With the two WP8 phones, I may actually buy them. But with Nexus 4, I'll have to get it on a contract.
Also, please ignore that budget prefix. I might get one on contract and not many here would know about the prices in Canada. FYI my actual budget is <$200.

If you want Windows Phone in that range then the 720 is the way to go! HTC 8S is ok not as good as the 720.

Also if you think you can pay for the Nexus 4 on contract then that is the phone to get as it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the 720 and 8S!!!!
It all boils down to the fact whether you want a feature and app rich phone( read as Nexus 4) or a daily use low application based phone (either 720 or 8S)!!!

If budget is not a problem then i would stay stick to the nexus 4!

Get the Lumia 520, you get the Nokia exclusive apps and better firmware update support. HTC 8S with 4GB internal memory is practically useless as OS will take some space and apps can only be installed on internal memory.

BTW, why are you comparing 8S with 520? 8S is priced similar to the Lumia 720.

BTW, why are you comparing 8S with 520? 8S is priced similar to the Lumia 720.

But in Canada, they are both priced the same.

If you want Windows Phone in that range then the 720 is the way to go! HTC 8S is ok not as good as the 720.

Also if you think you can pay for the Nexus 4 on contract then that is the phone to get as it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the 720 and 8S!!!!
It all boils down to the fact whether you want a feature and app rich phone( read as Nexus 4) or a daily use low application based phone (either 720 or 8S)!!!

If budget is not a problem then i would stay stick to the nexus 4!

Lumia 720 hasnt been released in this stupid country.
Is an upgrade to Nexus 4 coming up soon? Also what would I miss if I choose not to go with Nexus 4?

The thing is, with Nexus 4, I'll be stuck with it for 2 years. But with the other two, I can still get whatever new phone that releases by the end of this year. So is Nexus 4 worth it in this scenario?

NO doubt Android will give you more apps to use but for Windows Phone 8, apps are releasing, quite a few games/apps this month. Also there is a talk Instagram would be launching for WP8. Overall I feel with L520 you will be more flexible. It does all day to day stuff very well. Also on TE we have few users of L520.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, got the Lumia 520!
Cost me around $205 after unlocking.

Seems like a really nice phone till now, hope it doesnt disappoint.
If you guys have any question about it, let me know.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, got the Lumia 520!
Cost me around $205 after unlocking.

Seems like a really nice phone till now, hope it doesnt disappoint.
If you guys have any question about it, let me know.

Congrats for the new phone. Do post initial impressions. Also $205 = ~11.5K INR. Here its MRP is 10.5K with deals offering it as low as 9K.

Back