Budget 0-20k Macbook Air Accessories. Suggestions Needed.

raksrules

Elite
So, I have ordered my first ever Mac computer, Macbook Air M1. It is expected to come in next week. I have already bought the follwing things through my colleague in USA ad I got for cheaper price due to coupons (who recently got the iPad too for me).

Laptop Sleeve:

USB C Hub:

USB C to USB A Adaptor:

Is there any absolute needed accessory? Do people use case on Macbook?

Absolutely necessary

1) USB C to A - 499/ - https://www.amazon.in/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A09868433U0CN90HIVBPU&url=/AmazonBasics-Type-C-Gen1-Female-Adapter/dp/B01GGKYXVE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=USB+C+to+A&qid=1610106841&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&qualifier=1610106841&id=7087429414655769&widgetName=sp_atf

Good to have: Thunderbolt hub
PSA: DO NOT BUY generic PD hubs, There have been enough cases of non standard PD hubs frying laptop motherboards . Non PD hubs are fine.
Google for terms such as "Asus g14 dead PD hub" or similar. I believe Reddit has a few report of dead M1s also attributable to generic PD hubs
A much better option is to just buy the Apple multiport adapter. It is by far the cheapest thunderbolt adapter (6500/- vs 10k+ at minimum for other brands), supports PD and leaves u with 1 USB 3.2 port that you can use for other peripherals
More importantly, it supports 4K60 on hdmi unlike 4k30 supported by USB C hubs

Sleeve - Entirely based on your use case. 13.3 sleeves are equally cheap here.

Edit: If you have already brought the USB C hub and it cannot be returned, it should still be OK to use it as long as you do not use it for passthrough charging.
However that also means that 1 port will be used by the charger and the 2nd by said hub that can't even drive a 4K monitor properly -
which is why the Apple multiport adapter is a far better buy.
A single port is enough for charging + full 4K 60hz + USB 3.2 for peripherals leaving 1 port empty for anything else

Last edited:
@superczar

All the above things I mentioned have already being bought. I paid total of ₹1200 for all the 3 things I mentioned above due to various combinations of coupons and AMEX card benefits on amazon US.

I hear you that using PD feature may be risky and I will surely try to avoid that. Honestly with my usage, I don't even think i will ever use PD feature. About using monitors, I don't have any and don't intend to buy in near future. If ever I need big screen, I will connect to TV and in that too I only have Full HD TVs for now.

I will still check out the apple one.

@superczar

All the above things I mentioned have already being bought. I paid total of ₹1200 for all the 3 things I mentioned above due to various combinations of coupons and AMEX card benefits on amazon US.

I hear you that using PD feature may be risky and I will surely try to avoid that. Honestly with my usage, I don't even think i will ever use PD feature. About using monitors, I don't have any and don't intend to buy in near future. If ever I need big screen, I will connect to TV and in that too I only have Full HD TVs for now.

I will still check out the apple one.
The sleeve is fine
but maybe its just me - but i would still not suggest using very low end USB C connectors esp on expensive devices
That USB A adapter for example is only 450-500 locally from a known and reliable brand - and won't put the female socket at risk

that's all you need. my brother got a case and returned it as it completely ruins the touch and feel. I'd never get a case for a laptop personally.
PSA: DO NOT BUY generic PD hubs, There have been enough cases of non standard PD hubs frying laptop motherboards . Non PD hubs are fine.
Google for terms such as "Asus g14 dead PD hub" or similar. I believe Reddit has a few report of dead M1s also attributable to generic PD hubs
thanks for the info. I was always wary of charging through such hubs. I use an amkette usb c hub for my external monitor but have never connected or tried it for charging.

if anybody finds a similar design sleeve for 2-2.5k (without zipper or flaps) please let me know. tried pretty much everywhere and can't find one.

that's all you need. my brother got a case and returned it as it completely ruins the touch and feel. I'd never get a case for a laptop personally.

thanks for the info. I was always wary of charging through such hubs. I use an amkette usb c hub for my external monitor but have never connected or tried it for charging.

if anybody finds a similar design sleeve for 2-2.5k (without zipper or flaps) please let me know. tried pretty much everywhere and can't find one.
That amkette c hub will run only at 30hz if you are connecting to a 4k monitor.
Will be fine with a 1080p though.
However 4k60 C to HDMI (i.e. non hub ) cables are available at pretty reasonable prices as non TB vanilla USB C has adequate bandwidth to do so if display data is the sole bus in use.

Back