Budget 71-90K MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with Retina Display

thawfu666

Adept
I am planning to buy a Mac ... But I am confused whether to buy the Air (13-inch) or Retina Display (13-inch) ... I am planning to buy it in US ... I use Photoshop, Sound Forge, etc ... Will Air be sufficient for me ? Or the Pro with Retina Display (13-inch) ?[DOUBLEPOST=1365865654][/DOUBLEPOST]Why is no one answering ? :(

Unless portability is your prime consideration, I would recommend the MBP as you can upgrade the RAM. The air is limited to 4 GB. You'll also be able to install a SSD in the MBP to get all the speed benefits of the Air. The rMBP comes with all this inbuilt.

i would recommend to wait for the refresh of june
with haswell chips and possibilty of air gettin retina

this generation of retina has noticeable scroll lag in web pages ( read on forums)
wait for next gen retina pros or maybe get air right now

Thank you for all your suggestions ... :) @hbksabhi, I am planning to get it on June 1st week ... :) Do you really think that Air would be sufficient ? :\ Because I use the Adobe Master Collection, Final Cut Pro, Aperture, etc ... And I am going to get it in US ... The price difference between those two is 149$ ... So I am still considering the Macbook Pro with Retina Display ... Since I am a photographer, I think the retina might suit my needs ... Still confused ... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
  • What's your Budget?
    85k - 99k
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be?
    Adobe Master Collection, Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Sony Sound Forge Pro, Web browsing, Casual gaming.
  • What size and weight considerations do you have?
    The 13" would be perfect for me ...
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest?
    I would prefer a Mac laptop (Macbook Air or Retina Macbook Pro) ... Confused which one ... :)
  • Any other considerations?
    Battery life at least 6-7 hours ... Should be VERY fast in booting up and shutting down ... Shouldn't get a lag while using any resource-hungry applications ... :)

Thank you for all your suggestions ... :) @hbksabhi, I am planning to get it on June 1st week ... :) Do you really think that Air would be sufficient ? :\ Because I use the Adobe Master Collection, Final Cut Pro, Aperture, etc ... And I am going to get it in US ... The price difference between those two is 149$ ... So I am still considering the Macbook Pro with Retina Display ... Since I am a photographer, I think the retina might suit my needs ... Still confused ... :(
The diffence is more
Air is 1100 usd
And pro retina is 1500 usd

Last edited by a moderator:
It is simple just think about whether you need a GPU or not. I was able to rule out GPU once I figured none of the work that I did used it (heavy coding Visual Studio (parellels desktop) with resharper etc). If you have anything to do with Video editing, you will be better served with PRO.

Back