Laptops macbook - good choice?

^ AFAIK all mac hdds come with 5.4k rpm as minimum. Its not that bad. I agree that apple doesnt offer 7.2k version. But if I were to go for a 7.2k hdd, I would buy it from somewhere else rather than paying a huge premium @ apple (and it wont void warranty in many cases, not sure abt apple though).

OP: Just my personal opinion - If I were you, I would have already got the mac. But I dont like the white one either and the black comes with a premium.

One more thing you might need to consider is, if you have to reinvest on mac softwares that you need.

I have thought about it many times, But when the need comes (when my old HP dies), I will be in a similar situation as yours. But right now, think I would go with a macbook. Here are the things what I would factor in -

1. Do I have to reinvest on mac software - In my case- no

2. Will I be able to do same things as on my win/lin desktop - yes

3. What value add will I get -

a) I get a new platform to port/test my software (in your case sites?)

b) When I take a macbook to a clients place it "might" give a professional touch (If one understands that ;) and still considering web devs favor macs)

c) any productivity gains? - Im not sure but pretty confident that it wont be -ve

random2 - thats what i have come down to.. macbook, if should be purchased (in my case) only cos of brand name and mac os..

rest best VFM is with dell XPS comparing portable laptops available this moment.. lol,after watching the mac os on xps video (look up post 19), i dreamt if i can do the same with xps, wow, i get a new platform..

ummm.. its tough for me to decide, but its getting easier day by day, as i am reading loads of opinions over various forums these days..

guys have suggested me that go for a personal experience with macbook at a showroom.. lol, personal experience has been so far bad.. it seem to me a toy.. just the eaten apple logo is something which is holding some value..

i can't really know the potential & so called pro-end working of the mac os.. one can't do this at a showroom.. its only possible if i can borrow it or work on it for sometime.. which is not possible for me.. thats y i have to go by people's opinions..

still reading the same online.. cos, surprisingly, there are many negative opinions, which sound quite authentic, about macs.. well, i just need to come to a proportionate conclusion..

which is quite turning towards XPS now..:)

KingKrool said:
One thing about the macbook - the hdds on these things are usually low RPM, with no option to move to a higher one. And let me tell you, rpm really matters.

True. I've a laptop with a 4200 rpm HDD band the only consolation for me is that it's quiet. 5400 makes a huge difference over 4200 rpm. I don't know why it's so but that has been my experience.

Anyway, I think 4200 rpm HDDs have been phased out by now.

random2 said:
^ AFAIK all mac hdds come with 5.4k rpm as minimum. Its not that bad. I agree that apple doesnt offer 7.2k version. But if I were to go for a 7.2k hdd, I would buy it from somewhere else rather than paying a huge premium @ apple (and it wont void warranty in many cases, not sure abt apple though).

Where do you get 7.2K rpm laptop HDDs? I'd like to know if they are even available in India.

If you do not have any intention of gaming on the laptop and have a fairly good budget and keen on trying out Mac OS, then go in for a Mac Book.

If you can spend more and want a decent GPU and want to use it as a desktop replacement, then go in for the Mac Book Pro with the 8600GT Graphics. But be warned that it costs a bomb.

We have a Mac Book Pro issued to a few of us by the company on sharing basis. (i.e who ever needs it can take it home). This is the higher end model with 2.4 GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, 8600GT, 17" Display @ 1680 x 1050 resolution. Frankly if I ever decide to purchase a laptop from Apple (Which is unlikely as I am not deluded by Mac OS :p I havent even taken the Mac Book provided by the company to my house ever and left it alone for my collegue cum friend to use at his home.), I would prefer a Mac Book Pro rather than a Mac Book. Basically its a good choice if you want a shot at Mac OS as well as use Windows XP.

If you are not interested in Mac OS, then better stick with a Dell laptop.

sydras said:
Where do you get 7.2K rpm laptop HDDs? I'd like to know if they are even available in India.

Its available at the egg for quite sometime. Not sure if anyone is selling them here in India.

Dell India offers 7.2k hdds for xps (maybe others also). Actually, the upgrade seems to be cheaper(2.1k) in India compared to +$100 in US.

there is a development -

my cousin is coming from US on 17th dec. I got dell coupons for inspiron online. i made a fabulous rig on dell US site with all good specs n its costing me around $1k after discount coupon for $300 applied

RIG - Inpiron - c2d - 2.2ghz, 2 gb ram 667, 14.1" (1440x900), 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, 120GB (5400RPM), 2.0 MP Webcam, and other good specs..

i know i have been discussing here for macbook n XPS, but this recent & sudden development has changed everything..

Problem is - the estimated shipment date for this rig, as told by a rep i chatted on dell US site , is 19th dec.. my cousin shall leave for india on 17th..

i am just thinking that whats the probability that the rig may come early.. i know this is speculation, but still what r the chances?

Secondly, now that the floodgates of US laptop option is open, what alternative rig can i purchase from US which can give me a stealing price for the specs i get..

I guess DELL gets out of option now.. isn't? or is there some way i can persuade them to deliver the rig early..????

other good options from US are VAIO, HP etc..

There's a reason why Inspirons tnd to be cheap

All Inspirons and Vostro in production currently have terrible (and I mean T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E) screens

People who say that their Inspiron 1420/1520 have good screens haven't seen a good laptop screen like the one on the macbook and XPS... (or even a HP pavilion / compaq V3xxx)

and IMHO, the screen quality is a much more important decision parameter that a super powerful config (when it comes to laptops)

Back