MacBook Pro 14 and MacBook Pro 16 with new processors released

MacBook-Pro-Notch-Feature.jpg
Apple is calling the event 'Unleashed' and its expected that they would be demonstrating the true power of their new silicon which they introduced in the lower end MacBooks. Calling them lower end would not be accurate given how they outperformed the beefier Intel processors. So much so that Intel went scrambling in desperation to release a series of ads showing how non-apple laptops are better, not once comparing the actual performance of Intel vs Apple silicon.

The MacBook Pro laptops are also supposed to redesigned around the new processors which are extremely energy efficient thus leading to a more compact design. The screen bezels are supposed to even thinner than they are in the 16" MacBook Pro and introduce a new MacBook screen size of 14" instead of the regular 13" size. The displays are expected to be mini LED with higher resolutions.

The base models on the new processor, to be called M1X or M2, are supposed to start with 16GB RAM and 512GB storage. The processors themselves will get a bump up from 4 performance cores to 10 performance cores and 16 graphic cores from the 8 graphic cores. The cores are expected to run at a higher frequency. No wonder the event is being called Unleashed and Intel is scared out of their wits.

There are also rumours that the Touch Bar will go away in favor of regular function keys and we will have more variety of ports than just USBC ports currently available. A return to MagSafe charging is also expected.

All this however will likely cost 1,74,000 for the starting model here in India and would price it way out of reach for most of us.

Personally I would prefer that they introduce the redesigned chassis in the current base MacBook Pro model and take it from 13" to 14" with the current M1 processor in the market. I would happily take that model with a 16GB RAM option to replace my ageing MacBook 12. Had been saving every month for past 2 years for this day.

Last edited:
Weird that you didn't see a difference in the displays. The refresh rate itself makes it much smoother to use. Plus at night, watching movies give you a great HDR experience but most of all, the extra 500 nits (by installing 3rd part apps like Vivid) makes the laptop usable in direct sunlight - something that i've never seen before.
Umm.. I am also considering between the M2 Air and M1 Pro but what I am missing in terms of the display -
1659964823119.png

EDIT : Ah the comparison was with the 14 inch

Weird that you didn't see a difference in the displays. The refresh rate itself makes it much smoother to use. Plus at night, watching movies give you a great HDR experience but most of all, the extra 500 nits (by installing 3rd part apps like Vivid) makes the laptop usable in direct sunlight - something that i've never seen before.

Also, additional ports and active cooling are great but I guess if someone wants portability, the MBA is still the better choice.

My main point was that the value argument goes out of the window as soon as you spec 16/512GB as their price becomes exactly equal (~ 1.7L).

Yeah, didn't see a major difference in the display, that too side by side. Watched the whole WW1984 4K HDR clip 4-5 times to make sure (the fireworks scene).
Of course haven't used them outside, but my use case outside will be almost non existant.
The additional ports are indeed great, but God knows what was Apple thinking adding just SD card slot - at least a CF Express/XQD should be added (it's a Pro machine after all).
My main gripe are still poor battery compared to MBA - almost equal to Windows laptop (though not as powerful). As an example, I edited over 30 photos on my LG Gram today - not as powerful as the MBP, but the battery barely went from 100 to 50 in about 3 hours or so and I expect the same on M1 Pro.
The weight is clearly higher (numbers don't do justice). Again, have tried them one by one at the Apple store, and there's a noticeable difference, not to mention the M2 Air just looks damn sexy.
Pretty sure M2 Pro will give a major jump on battery due to efficiency cores.
Umm.. I am also considering between the M2 Air and M1 Pro but what I am missing in terms of the display -
View attachment 142311

You're comparing the wrong Pro. M1 Pro that we're talking about is the 14 inch model (M1 Pro is the chip's name). miniLED display, higher nits, apparently better HDR, 120 hz.

As time passes by, I beg to differ. My most "hardcore" use will be photo editing - I'm not a video editor or coder - and hence I believe the M2 Air 16/512 combo will be fine. More efficiency cores, minor productivity bump over M1, and battery is just excellent.
I demoed both M2 Air and M1 Pro yesterday side by side, playing the default WW1984 HDR 4k clip on both - and the screen was almost identical. I didn't go WOW with Pro's miniLED, much to my surprise. The Promotion wasn't visible in usual hands on, so can't comment.
All in all, Apple still makes the best displays in the market, and I guess I'm not losing much with M2 Air.
16 gb is just not available anywhere though. And the Apple official price is insane.
Very surprising..
I have the mini LED ipad and the M1 MBA.

While the latter has an excellent screen by any standard, the one on the ipad is hands down the best screen i have ever seen or used on any comsumer device.
HDR looks brilliant on it - and is miles ahead of other well regarded displays like s7 plus or LG c1

AFAIK, the macbook pros use more or less the same screen..

Also regarding your other post on battery life, i had the LG gram and MBA concurrently for over a year.. Regardless of what the specs say, the actual battery life on the MBA was 2.5X - 3X of the Gram with light use (Outlook/ word/ browser/ teams)
The battery cycle count on the MBA was actually a third of the Gram after 1 year even though the former was used more extensively

Very surprising..
I have the mini LED ipad and the M1 MBA.

While the latter has an excellent screen by any standard, the one on the ipad is hands down the best screen i have ever seen or used on any comsumer device.
HDR looks brilliant on it - and is miles ahead of other well regarded displays like s7 plus or LG c1

AFAIK, the macbook pros use more or less the same screen..

Also regarding your other post on battery life, i had the LG gram and MBA concurrently for over a year.. Regardless of what the specs say, the actual battery life on the MBA was 2.5X - 3X of the Gram with light use (Outlook/ word/ browser/ teams)
The battery cycle count on the MBA was actually a third of the Gram after 1 year even though the former was used more extensively

Mate, I dont doubt the battery life on MBA - the MBP 14 is where battery life isn't upto the mark of "Apple" standards.

I noticed some subtitle blooming on the MBP 14's screen too - not a fan tbh. I am hoping better tech or OLEDs will make way to the panels soon. The MBA's screen is quite as good as MBP 14 barring the lesser brightness.

Mate, I dont doubt the battery life on MBA - the MBP 14 is where battery life isn't upto the mark of "Apple" standards.
Not sure where this is coming from. I've briefly tested the battery with a friends' M1 Air and it was very similar in light uses.

Even the reviews generally echo this statement, going by Dave2D's M2 Air review :

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 8.53.31 PM.jpg

And regarding the blooming : well yeah there will obviously be blooming but its exaggerated on a camera. In SDR, there is no perceptible blooming while HDR will slightly bloom as it is inevitable. Its better than my Sony TV and similar to top of the line QLED's if you put it another way.

Not sure where this is coming from. I've briefly tested the battery with a friends' M1 Air and it was very similar in light uses.

Even the reviews generally echo this statement, going by Dave2D's M2 Air review :

View attachment 142345

And regarding the blooming : well yeah there will obviously be blooming but its exaggerated on a camera. In SDR, there is no perceptible blooming while HDR will slightly bloom as it is inevitable. Its better than my Sony TV and similar to top of the line QLED's if you put it another way.

The Macrumors forum and reddit is filled with people dissatisfied with MBP 14's battery life. I know the vocal minority will have the highest SoV, but the numbers are quite high unfortunately.
I'm still tempted as the price is 30k less than MRP right now, possible as good as it gets.

The Macrumors forum and reddit is filled with people dissatisfied with MBP 14's battery life. I know the vocal minority will have the highest SoV, but the numbers are quite high unfortunately.
I'm still tempted as the price is 30k less than MRP right now, possible as good as it gets.
Hmm, no idea about them but I usually trust objective reviews like Notebookcheck, which have the M2 Air almost the same as the M1 Pro on H.264 videos and Wifi web surfing.
Heavier usage will obviously drain the Pro much quicker.

You can always use the low power mode on the laptop. refresh rate will go down to 60Hz and you'l lose 15% performance (on par with M2 basically).

Anyways, both laptops are quite different. If you prefer portability then the Air will hands down the better laptop for you

Hmm, no idea about them but I usually trust objective reviews like Notebookcheck, which have the M2 Air almost the same as the M1 Pro on H.264 videos and Wifi web surfing.
Heavier usage will obviously drain the Pro much quicker.

You can always use the low power mode on the laptop. refresh rate will go down to 60Hz and you'l lose 15% performance (on par with M2 basically).

Anyways, both laptops are quite different. If you prefer portability then the Air will hands down the better laptop for you

Example

Sure, you will find examples like this and I can't doubt other people's experiences. You will just have to make up your own mind man.
From what i've heard, you may be better suited to the MBA as you are already swaying in that direction.

At the end of the day, both are great laptops and you will be happy with either of them

I noticed some subtitle blooming on the MBP 14's screen too - not a fan tbh. I am hoping better tech or OLEDs will make way to the panels soon. The MBA's screen is quite as good as MBP 14 barring the lesser brightness.
yes, there is blooming if you look for it.
But the level of realism you get on HDR with it 99% of the time is something no current OLED can match or even come close to ..

Easily Worth losing that 1% to bloom under specific scenarios.

Take a look at it again if you can. That panel is seriously truly special for HDR

Sure, you will find examples like this and I can't doubt other people's experiences. You will just have to make up your own mind man.
From what i've heard, you may be better suited to the MBA as you are already swaying in that direction.

At the end of the day, both are great laptops and you will be happy with either of them

This is what I was talking about:

4TLVgD1.png

MBP14 gets the lowest real world mixed usage battery of the lot.
This close to pressing the button on Croma, but having second thoughts.

Back