MacBook Pro 14 and MacBook Pro 16 with new processors released

MacBook-Pro-Notch-Feature.jpg
Apple is calling the event 'Unleashed' and its expected that they would be demonstrating the true power of their new silicon which they introduced in the lower end MacBooks. Calling them lower end would not be accurate given how they outperformed the beefier Intel processors. So much so that Intel went scrambling in desperation to release a series of ads showing how non-apple laptops are better, not once comparing the actual performance of Intel vs Apple silicon.

The MacBook Pro laptops are also supposed to redesigned around the new processors which are extremely energy efficient thus leading to a more compact design. The screen bezels are supposed to even thinner than they are in the 16" MacBook Pro and introduce a new MacBook screen size of 14" instead of the regular 13" size. The displays are expected to be mini LED with higher resolutions.

The base models on the new processor, to be called M1X or M2, are supposed to start with 16GB RAM and 512GB storage. The processors themselves will get a bump up from 4 performance cores to 10 performance cores and 16 graphic cores from the 8 graphic cores. The cores are expected to run at a higher frequency. No wonder the event is being called Unleashed and Intel is scared out of their wits.

There are also rumours that the Touch Bar will go away in favor of regular function keys and we will have more variety of ports than just USBC ports currently available. A return to MagSafe charging is also expected.

All this however will likely cost 1,74,000 for the starting model here in India and would price it way out of reach for most of us.

Personally I would prefer that they introduce the redesigned chassis in the current base MacBook Pro model and take it from 13" to 14" with the current M1 processor in the market. I would happily take that model with a 16GB RAM option to replace my ageing MacBook 12. Had been saving every month for past 2 years for this day.

Last edited:
MBP users, what hub do you use to ensure you get USB 3 gen 2 speeds and gig ethernet ? Can't find TB4 docks.
Does this work in Mac ?

Doesn't mention the USB speeds ? I've seen some Gen 1 hubs, but not gen 2 (10 gbps).
Is caldigit available in India ?
Doesn't mention the USB speeds ? I've seen some Gen 1 hubs, but not gen 2 (10 gbps).
Is caldigit available in India ?
Gen 3.2 version : https://www.amazon.in/Targus-Multi-Function-DisplayPort-Docking-DOCK430USZ/dp/B07X441JKQ

MBP users, what hub do you use to ensure you get USB 3 gen 2 speeds and gig ethernet ? Can't find TB4 docks.
10gbps docks are rarer but are available You can find a few like this but they are USB only. 1 Gig ethernet dongles are available everywhere. The full combo is significantly more expensive like the ones here .

I personally don't use any 10gbps docks. I just get a 10gbps USB-C cable and plug it directly into the thunderbolt 4 port.
Magsafe lets me use the other 2 TB4 ports as I see fit

10gbps docks are rarer but are available You can find a few like this but they are USB only. 1 Gig ethernet dongles are available everywhere. The full combo is significantly more expensive like the ones here .

I personally don't use any 10gbps docks. I just get a 10gbps USB-C cable and plug it directly into the thunderbolt 4 port.
Magsafe lets me use the other 2 TB4 ports as I see fit
any suggestions for dual monitor setup with all the above features on macbook?

Macbook Pros on 11% discount on Reliance Digital. Checked offline, and they are matching the offer after some persuasion.
Also, Aptronix offering flat 10% off (also on AC+ if bought together).
Both have 10k CB via HDFC.
Buy now or wait for M2 Pro chip ? Probably launching in Oct.

Macbook Pros on 11% discount on Reliance Digital. Checked offline, and they are matching the offer after some persuasion.
Also, Aptronix offering flat 10% off (also on AC+ if bought together).
Both have 10k CB via HDFC.
Buy now or wait for M2 Pro chip ? Probably launching in Oct.
are you thinking of M1 Pro? if yes then M2 Pro will be available from Nov to Jan based on import. if you are looking to get M2 then just buy it now.

Any regular TB2 or TB3 dock will do.
I have a TB3 Dell wd19tb for one desk and a older Lenovo TB2 on another.
Both work flawless

Edit: @alekhkhanna sorry, one correction.. The Lenovo is not TB2 but TB3 only.
However its the older gen Alpine ridge chip thunderbolt while the Dell is newer Titan Ridge.
The difference between the 2 is that Alpine ridge works only with thunderbolt devices while Titan Ridge works with both thunderbolt and vanilla USB C devices.

Do not look for TB2 docks , they won’t work with any type C thunderbolt device :)

Last edited:
For those interested, great offers on Reliance Digital and Croma. Using an HDFC card, the 14 inch Pro is available for 1.62L. Decent-ish price matching international pricing.
MBP 14 is available for 1.75L including free AirPods 2 until September 22 on official Apple India store under education discount.

MBP 14 is available for 1.75L including free AirPods 2 until September 22 on official Apple India store under education discount.

It's for 1.65L on Aptronix if you don't want the AP2. Much better option IMO. 1.75L with 10% off, and 10k cashback on HDFC card.
Reliance also offered 11% discount (offline store) on both MBP and AC+ on both 14 and 16 inch variants. 10k cashback additional.

It's for 1.65L on Aptronix if you don't want the AP2. Much better option IMO. 1.75L with 10% off, and 10k cashback on HDFC card.
Reliance also offered 11% discount (offline store) on both MBP and AC+ on both 14 and 16 inch variants. 10k cashback additional.
Not a bad deal if one can arrange HDFC card.

Not a bad deal if one can arrange HDFC card.

Almost bought one, but M2 Pros (14/16) are just 2-3 months away. I know the difference won't be huge, but can wait to get the latest post Diwali.
The only concern is how much will the price be bumped ? Sigh.
US is still getting the best deal. 500USD off on all Pro models. Already OOS at most places.

Almost bought one, but M2 Pros (14/16) are just 2-3 months away. I know the difference won't be huge, but can wait to get the latest post Diwali.
The only concern is how much will the price be bumped ? Sigh.
US is still getting the best deal. 500USD off on all Pro models. Already OOS at most places.
It won’t be at sale post launch, if want to pay full price then only wait. I won’t pay full asking price for any mac ever again at least that’s what I told myself after buying mine this year at back to school sale. Arranging education id is easier than expected.

It won’t be at sale post launch, if want to pay full price then only wait. I won’t pay full asking price for any mac ever again at least that’s what I told myself after buying mine this year at back to school sale. Arranging education id is easier than expected.

I've access to education Id, but the current retail discounts are much better IMO.
Also, I've plans to travel to HK/Thailand later in the year, so stuff can be bought for cheaper. Let's see.

Back