Maintenance cost and after Sales service of Water purifiers (Mumbai)

yadusaiyan

Disciple
Planning to buy water purifier with UV + UF + RO capability . I was looking at Kent and Aquaguard .
I had a bad experience with Aquaguard where after taking AMC the service rep doesn't end up on time for service . Have to call them to schedule a visit . But to renew the AMC they are always there few weeks before due dates . Anyways right now I am on third party AMC which are bad as well .

The problem is i am reading horror stories from Kent, Aquaguard , HUL PureIt etc ... where people end up paying for hardware parts etc ... My existing purifier was UV only . But now as i am planning to buy a machine with 2 more modules / parts involved. I am really skeptical about maintenance overheads . Anyone have experience with UV + UF + RO purifiers from Kent or Aquaguard . Need your inputs . Anyways i am afraid this would anyways end up going with lesser of two evils .

because you will be dealing with humans, you can't predict how they are going to perform as the time progresses.

if you are unable to find reliable servicemen, i'd suggest you to do the maintenance yourself. it's super easy and quite straightforward. the only thing people dread is the leaky joints but they are manageable as you'd be dealing with pipes merely 0.25in wide.

@Criminal I would do the maintenance part by myself but i am not comfortable and experienced . Plus knowing how to maintain a particular machine would need certain knowledge , tools and in my choice of purifier maybe access to certain parts / tools . Maybe it might be simple as you say but i really don't want to invest time in doing something which is not worth while later .. at the same time i don't want to end up spending 5 - 6k on annual maintenance(parts failing) which is mentioned in few of the online reviews . Anyways thanks for your suggestion ... can you talk about the water purifier you currently own it's maintenance cost and your experience ?
Also on another note i am open to learning things if you could help me out / give directions towards any reading material . As you already know how to maintain it . i am planning to buy either Kent Grand + Or Aquaguard Superb depending upon the suggestions / inputs i get from you and other TE members .

I have under-the-counter Kent Elite but not using it at this moment as:

1) my water supply has TDS in the lower range
2) i've gone for whole-house water filtration/treatment
3) i needed something that can run without electricity for more than a day
4) sometimes i get extremely muddy water which chokes puny RO filters in a minute

Right now I am using gravity-fed Pureit Classic UF. Cartridges/filters are replaced directly by the company. But I take care of its maintenance as the storage based units need extra cleanliness. Never used company's services.

My experience has been pretty bad with the company certified technicians. They've already caused too much damage. I've used services directly from the companies like Kent, Kaff, Jaquar, Cata, Godrej, Luminous etc. I am now 100% sure that I get such poor service because I live in GawaarGaon, popularly known as Millennium City. :p

Maybe it might be simple as you say but i really don't want to invest time in doing something which is not worth while later
But I've noticed that it saves a lot of time if you fix small issues yourself. From the time you book the service request, it takes 1~3 days to get the stuff working again. If you can replace an incandescent light bulb then I am sure you can replace the cartridges on Kent Grand+ as well. And I am not oversimplifying it... it's written on the product page that the cartridges are snap fit :p. Don't know about Aquaguard Superb as I can't see its internals.

If there's some electronic failure then you definitely need professional help but regular maintenance and cartridge replacements can be carried out on your own - after the warranty period expires.
i am planning to buy either Kent Grand + Or Aquaguard Superb
Both of them have similar filtration/purification systems. Aquaguard can also be used as a freestanding unit. Based on the position of it's outlet, it probably uses few extra parts that can go wrong. Usual practice is to use a pressurized balloon and an extra filter to catch the odor... but I am not sure in the case of Aquaguard.[/user]

I too would recommend using non electrical units such as Classic PureIT and Tata Swach. Not much complexity. Even my service with PureIT and Aquaguard is bad.

I have under-the-counter Kent Elite but not using it at this moment as:

1) my water supply has TDS in the lower range
2) i've gone for whole-house water filtration/treatment

Hi,
Can you give details about initial and maintenance costs for such a system.
I am currently using water from deep borewell and due to the rains getting muddy water as well. I am currently managing by letting the water stand for a day or two in the tank. For drinking purpose, using Tata Swach with MF membrane.

^^ For borewell water:

1) You need to get your water tested thoroughly before you could invest in an efficient system. There are lots of impurities, minerals etc in borewell water and you need to tackle each one of them separately. Cost isn't prohibitive but procurement of parts will be an issue.

2) One of the two filters that you can buy without testing your water is a sediment filter, which will take care of your muddy water problem. You'll need to get a couple of them. (1) A washable mesh filter to pick up sand and other big impurities. (2) A 10 micron one to catch the dissolved sediments. (3) A 5 micron or even finer one right before your drinking water filter. (4) you can go even further to catch harmful stuff but it's no use without testing your water first.

I got a 20 inch long 5 micron filter + housing for under Rs 2000. I tried hard to find a washable or back-flush-able version but couldn't. Even though they are huge, these 5 micron filters will get choke pretty soon on your borewell water. Hence you need to put bigger ones before it to ease the job of the 5 micron one. Bigger meshes can be washed and reused - and save money.

If possible, get a transparent housing for sediment filters so you know when to replace them. Keep them covered from sunlight to avoid algae growth.

20 inch Filter housing: one time investment, good one costs upwards of Rs 1500. Big Blue is a renowned name.
20 inch Individual Filters: costs upwards of Rs 250. Replace after visual inspection.

Bigger micron versions with in-built back-flush option can be imported for Rs 10000. Or you can try clever plumbing to accommodate back-flush. Filters with fine micron sizes can't be effectively cleaned for reuse.

3) Second filter that you can buy without any professional consultation is an Activated Charcoal filter. I couldn't find bigger one locally. If you can get a bigger version, install it for the whole house, else use the smaller one before drinking water filter. But your existing filter might already have one.

Some people call it as Carbon filter but it's usually a combination of sediment filter + activated charcoal. If you could get a "carbon block" then nothing like it. It's all black. Smaller ones cost around Rs 500, including housing.

4) Sometimes I don't get the time to replace my sediment filters and the muddy water wreaks havoc. Just like you, I used to let water sit for a while. I used to add alum to fasten the process and kill germs too. You should try manual alum treatment.

Then I took out my old ceramic-candle filter and now I don't have to worry about muddy/cloudy water. It takes time but works pretty well throughput the year. Filter cartridges cost Rs 50 each and lasts a long time. It needs visual inspection, which is good. Water from ceramic filter gets transferred to Pureit Classic, which is something similar to Tata Swach non-electric.

5) Then I've got a whole house water softener, even though there wasn't much need of it. It's fully automatic from Kent and was quite costly back then at Rs 60000. Company guys promptly blew up the electronics while installing the system. It's lying idle now but I'll put it to use very soon. Borewell water needs softening but you first need to find out the kind of salts in your water. If there's a need for water softener then first scrounge your local market for recharging salts (called resin). I couldn't find them in GawaarGaon and that was one of the reasons I had to shut it down.

6) Check your pH level as well. Mine is pretty good at 7.5 but that's probably because the municipality guys add a lot of stuff. These days I am getting stinky water and I am doing everything to make sure that it's not sewage. I hope it's sulfates which are nasty but not a health hazard. I've put a makeshift UV system to tackle probable sewage issue but it's not going to cut it. I am not able to get a bigger UV at a reasonable price.

One time cost so far:
- handheld TDS meter: Rs 150
- handheld pH meter: Rs 650
- 20in sediment filter housing: 2 x Rs 1800
- carbon filter cum housing: Rs 650
- inline UV filter: Rs 6500
- water softener: Rs 60000 (smaller versions available for lesser capacity)
- whole house pressure booster pump: Rs 19000 (smaller versions available for lesser capacity)
- plumbing fixtures such as non-return valves, pipes etc: didn't keep record

Yearly maintenance charges:
- sediment filters: 5 x Rs 300
- carbon filter: 2 x Rs 650
- UV bulb: Rs 700
- 1 liter resin for water softener: Rs 150 (unit needs a lot more than 1 liter; never ran it for a year)

At this moment I am getting crystal clear water throughout the house. I'll need to invest in more filters once I find out the source of stink in water. And then there'll be some automation also, as I am spending way too much time on stocking clean water everyday. While in US, I could drink straight from the bathroom faucet... want to do the same here :p

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I have had the water tested and it came out as fit for consumption. The water isn't hard either.
For most part of the year, we get crystal clear water despite not having installed a sediment filter in the borewell itself like it is done in plains.
It's only in the rainy months (and it rains a lot over here), that we are getting very fine silt along with the water.
The Tata Swach filter uses a mesh at the top which is good enough to take care of this silt.
The water then passes through a Silver unit and finally through a MF membrane. All these are more than enough to provide me with clean drinking water.

I'll install those sediment and other filters as suggested by you and I think they should be more than enough for my situation. BTW, have you installed them after the water tank or before them.

I have had the water tested and it came out as fit for consumption. The water isn't hard either.
Benefits of living in hilly areas! I envy you :depressed:. Once upon a time we used to drink directly from mountain springs.
I'll install those sediment and other filters as suggested by you and I think they should be more than enough for my situation. BTW, have you installed them after the water tank or before them.

Sediment and Activated Charcoal filters are enough for you. You may have to experiment with the micron size. If the dirt size is big, it's easier to tackle.

All of my filters are installed before the overhead tank... only because we have very erratic power supply. UV and water softener have dependency on the electricity, so we try to store as much treated water as possible.

I can store much more water in underground tank but it is prone to contamination. This winters I'll direct the treated water to underground storage first and then filter it again before "uploading" :D it to overhead tank. UV treated water can't be stored for long, hence this need for re-filtration.

@Criminal Thanks for the detailed reply .... :)
But it didn't help you choose between Kent Grand + and Aquaguard Superb :D

Only thing I can suggest in this regard is to install RO if your water supply has more than acceptable levels of TDS. Even though you get a TDS controller in your shortlisted models, it's useless to increase TDS when you already have a low TDS at input. Posted something along the same lines a while back: https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/water-purifier-suggestion.180673/#post-2094287

If your TDS levels are fine then stick with the sediment/carbon filter + UV.

@Criminal The water supply is from BMC (Bombay Municipal Corporation) I haven't tested the water or the TDS level but then i heard the tds is low.
So should i buy the UV + UF ones ? Or UF Is also not needed as UV ones comes with Activated Sediment/Carbon filter .

New I too would recommend using non electrical units such as Classic PureIT and Tata Swach. Not much complexity. Even my service with PureIT and Aquaguard is bad.

What's difference between PureIT Classic and Advanced variants? Can we term either one superior than other w.r.to BMC supplied water.

I'm confused and actually am looking to buy a filter. Don't mean to hijack the thread. But years ago i read that UF is the BEST method (for normal municipal water, harder would need RO). I heard that the minute pore size of the filter actually removes ALL germs/bacteria/virii etc. etc. and is actually better than UV which sometimes just deactivates or knocks out the germs temporarily. If this is true, i next need to know if the most basic pureit models are truly UF or they just do sediment/charcoal filtration. I've noticed manufacturers are not very open in disclosing the exact type of filtration they use.

My water is the usual new bombay municipal water, some chlorine, sometimes rarely may be slightly off colour. Not hard at all. Currently living on Bisleri 20L cans, which is getting expensive. Looking for the lowest cost but decently safe options. Not very keen on UV or stuff that requires 220V and special plumbing, though that's not an issue if absolutely recommended.

@Criminal The water supply is from BMC (Bombay Municipal Corporation) I haven't tested the water or the TDS level but then i heard the tds is low.
So should i buy the UV + UF ones ? Or UF Is also not needed as UV ones comes with Activated Sediment/Carbon filter .

UV + UF is definitely better than just UV. You'll find tiny Sediment + Activated Carbon filters on all the modern units as they aid UV, UF and RO modules.

With low TDS, UV + UF + RO is an overkill and waste of money for you.

@Julian whatever you've read or heard is true.
If this is true, i next need to know if the most basic pureit models are truly UF or they just do sediment/charcoal filtration. I've noticed manufacturers are not very open in disclosing the exact type of filtration they use.
Unless they specifically mention the presence of UF membrane, they are not UF type.

So if I were to buy this, does it even do anything other than pass water through the sediment and carbon filters or whatever their Germkill Kit is ?

The Tata Swach Silver Boost that we have at home has
a) Sediment filter
b) Nano Silver technology - Utilizes Rice Husk as activated carbon and colloidal Silver for dealing with bacteria.Some Kent models have this as well. You can read more about it over here - http://www.cseindia.org/node/852
c) MF membrane for micro-filtration.

We were using same in Chandigarh and over here in our village in Himachal. I think such a situation is more than enough for water from municipal sources or water which has been tested as fit for consumption.

Edit - @Julian - You can read about the Pureit Germkill over here - http://akvopedia.org/wiki/Pureit
It has sustained chlorine release for killing germs according to this source.

Last edited:
Dammit, i was looking to reduce the amount of chlorine already present.

The problem here is the water is usually ok. But sometimes, i guess through some mixing somewhere along the way, the bad stuff gets in. Rarely. My whole issue with these sediment filters is they just filter SPM. Whatever bacteria is present gets straight through. And is handled by our immune systems. Unless the load is too much or the immune system is temporarily compromised. Which leads to illness. So if i buy a filter I want something that will definitely kill most of the bad boys. Like the silver etc.

Back