Budget 31-40k Major component upgrades

bookoon

Disciple
Hi all

My previous configuration is nearing 6 years now and will have to be renovated/ upgraded.
Let me know your thoughts, Details are as follows :

1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - 3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i5-6500
    • Motherboard - MSI B150A GAMING PRO (MS-7978) 1.0
    • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
    • RAM - 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 2400 (PC4 19200) running at 2133 MHz
    • Monitor - DELL U2412M
    • PSU - Corsair HX650
    • 512 GB – Samsung SSD Evo 860
    • 126 GB – Samsung SSD 840
    • 320GB – Seagate Barracuda HDD (10+ years old)
    • Asus DVD writer
    • CM full ATX cabinet
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - DELL U2412M
    • PSU - Corsair HX650
    • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
    • 512 GB – Samsung SSD Evo 860
    • 126 GB – Samsung SSD 840
    • CM full ATX cabinet
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU – AMD Ryzen 5/ 7
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard; 5 GHz Wi-Fi onboard, if budget permits – Full ATX – loads of USB port required. It’s possible that I will be using this PC for sound mixing.
    • RAM – 32 GB preferred (can continue with the older RAM, if it is compatible)
    • SSD – 1 TB
    • DVD writer/ Blue Ray
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes; this is pretty much final. I may go for a GFX card later; gaming at medium settings/ frame rates
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Ahmedabad/ Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Light Gaming
    • Browsing
    • MS Office
    • Music/ sound mixing
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I don’t have very good experience with Gigabyte (both for Mobo and GFX card)
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Mainly Plants vs. Zombie sort of games
    • I will research for GFX card later.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Full HD
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10/11 64 bit

• CPU – AMD Ryzen 5/ 7
  • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard; 5 GHz Wi-Fi onboard, if budget permits – Full ATX – loads of USB port required. It’s possible that I will be using this PC for sound mixing.
  • RAM – 32 GB preferred (can continue with the older RAM, if it is compatible)
  • SSD – 1 TB
  • DVD writer/ Blue Ray
Its a bit of tall order for 40k.
If you're going for graphics card later and plan to use the 1030, you can go for a Ryzen 5 3600 (benchmark score: 17.8k) - Rs16500 (Ryzen 5600X if you want the latest model for 22k but might break the budget)
If you want an APU Ryzen 5600G - 21500k
Corsair 32GB Ram - 12k (3200Mhz), 14k (3600Mhz).
motherboard - msi b550-a pro (A good middle of the pack board with WiFi) - 12k
In total would come to 41k (16.5 + 12 + 12). Might be less when you buy it from store.
You'll have to make do with your old ssds or go for 16GB ram for now and get a 1TB ssd with the money you save from that.

If you're going for graphics card later and plan to use the 1030, you can go for a Ryzen 5 3600 (benchmark score: 17.8k) - Rs16500 (Ryzen 5600X if you want the latest model for 22k but might break the budget)
In total would come to 41k (16.5 + 12 + 12). Might be less when you buy it from store.
You'll have to make do with your old ssds or go for 16GB ram for now and get a 1TB ssd with the money you save from that.
Thanks @cleo
I understand that I will need to cut some corners.. :confused:.. Let me know your thoughts about any particular feature (Mobo or sound card etc.) which I might require for music mixing.
On the SSD front, any particular one you would like to suggest?
I would probably go for a better CPU now and upgrade the RAMs later.

I wouldn't be much of help when it comes to sound cards and all. Someone else will have to help you out with that.
As for SSD, since its a bit of a budget build, just get a SATA ssd since you're going for a better CPU. Any reputable brand would do. But you already have a 512 ssd to use as a boot drive. So do you really need another one? Shouldn't you look for a HDD with some high capacity as just a storage drive?

Let me know your thoughts about any particular feature (Mobo or sound card etc.) which I might require for music mixing.
Look at the motherboards with Realtek ALC 1220 or Asus S1200A in the last table - https://www.anandtech.com/show/1585...erview-asus-gigabyte-msi-asrock-and-others/39
On the SSD front, any particular one you would like to suggest?
Most recommended ones are WD's SN570 or SN750 or Kingston A2000 or Samsung's Evo series which is a bit costly. But imo as long as ssd is TLC, has DRAM and offers 3+ years warranty, it should be good.
You can find exact details here - https://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

I wouldn't be much of help when it comes to sound cards and all. Someone else will have to help you out with that.
As for SSD, since its a bit of a budget build, just get a SATA ssd since you're going for a better CPU. Any reputable brand would do. But you already have a 512 ssd to use as a boot drive. So do you really need another one? Shouldn't you look for a HDD with some high capacity as just a storage drive?
I did get a 2TB HDD.. but it conked off within the warranty period. Unfortunately I could not get a replacement as there were files in it that I had to retrieve.. BTW, I have bought a 6TG external HDD last year. I can use that for now, without investing in another SSD.

Hey there...

I thought of resurrecting this thread, as my MOBO is on her last legs..

I normally build a new PC after 5-6 years. the last build was in late 2016. I would like to go for AMD.
I am highly tempted to go for the new AM5 CPU/ MOBO/ DDR5 RAM, instead of the well established AM4. The cost difference would be about 10-15K, I guess.

any thoughts and advice on the config!?

Update : The Mobo is beyond repair as per the service guy.

I have below options :
1. Buy a new B150 MOBO (if available for around 4-5K) and try to push the system for an year or two more

2.a. Move to a new Rig with an AMD 5600X and B550 mobo. Retain everything else from the old RIG. I hope this will last for 3-4 years. I heard that AMD will remove support for AM4 after 2025.

2.b. Take the plunge and go for AM5. Would need to invest higher for CPU/ Mobo/ DDR5 RAM. please let me know if my NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 will be compatible with the Mobo. Otherwise I will have to take CPU/GPU combo from AMD.

Please share your thoughts, looking at the balance between investment and expected lifetime of the system.
Please have a look at the top of the thread for my current RIG details.

Thanks a lot!

Ryzen 5600G is 12.2k with online store and may be more cheaper at local store

Don't overshoot budget, in crave for FUTURE PROOF, as technology changing at very fast speed every 6 month or in a year.

What's your budget now?

My 2c:

- don't spend anything else on supporting that cpu. Move on and sell it while it still has at least some resale value.

- am4 is mature and you'll have plenty of parts available for a few years at least. But at the cost of needing a larger investment down the road if you want to upgrade the cpu or ram.

- the 1030 is compatible with anything you buy. however, if you do very light gaming, the 5600g might be better.

You need to decide how much you want to spend and what you want as performance, and plan any future upgrades. Also note that given the government's recent restrictions on import, prices may (and only may) be higher in the next few years.

What's your budget now?

My 2c:

- don't spend anything else on supporting that cpu. Move on and sell it while it still has at least some resale value.

- am4 is mature and you'll have plenty of parts available for a few years at least. But at the cost of needing a larger investment down the road if you want to upgrade the cpu or ram.

- the 1030 is compatible with anything you buy. however, if you do very light gaming, the 5600g might be better.

You need to decide how much you want to spend and what you want as performance, and plan any future upgrades. Also note that given the government's recent restrictions on import, prices may (and only may) be higher in the next few years.
Thanks a lot for your 2 cents!!:happy:

I agree that AM4 is the best way ahead right now... Although I am mighty tempted with the new architecture, I am not going to really need those features. No use getting greedy.. :hungover:. I hope the AM4 lasts me for 4 years, at least.
Thanks to AM5, the AM4 prices seems to have come down. I will only get the CPU and MOBO now, rest I will carry over from the old rig.

My knowledge on GPU is very rudimentary. I don't think it would make any sense to go for the "G" CPU and still keep the 1030 on the mobo, right?
I have moved to a new flat and MOBO WITH wifi on board is a must (or a 5GHz Wifi adapter).

I am planning to buy these tomorrow on Amazon.

Either Ryzen 5 5600X or slightly higher. I will invest in a mid range GFX card later. As of now would go ahead with the 1030. If you have any htoughts, please let me know.
I am a bit confused about the Mobo. I would like to have a higher quality sound card, but if that pushes the limit of budget I would have to let go.
In total, 30-35 K is where I want to stop the buck!:bag:

Thanks again.

2a. AM4/zen3 is super stable now. Go for 5800x3D instead of 5600x and you are set for another 2 years atleast.
it is 40K .. My goodness me.. :drowning:

Thanks a lot for your 2 cents!!:happy:

I agree that AM4 is the best way ahead right now... Although I am mighty tempted with the new architecture, I am not going to really need those features. No use getting greedy.. :hungover:. I hope the AM4 lasts me for 4 years, at least.
Thanks to AM5, the AM4 prices seems to have come down. I will only get the CPU and MOBO now, rest I will carry over from the old rig.

My knowledge on GPU is very rudimentary. I don't think it would make any sense to go for the "G" CPU and still keep the 1030 on the mobo, right?
I have moved to a new flat and MOBO WITH wifi on board is a must (or a 5GHz Wifi adapter).

I am planning to buy these tomorrow on Amazon.

Either Ryzen 5 5600X or slightly higher. I will invest in a mid range GFX card later. As of now would go ahead with the 1030. If you have any htoughts, please let me know.
I am a bit confused about the Mobo. I would like to have a higher quality sound card, but if that pushes the limit of budget I would have to let go.
In total, 30-35 K is where I want to stop the buck!:bag:

Thanks again.

it is 40K .. My goodness me.. :drowning:
Look for used one or go for plain 5800x. Those two extra cores even without the 3D cache are worth.

No it doesn't.
I would like to have a higher quality sound card, but if that pushes the limit of budget I would have to let go.
I dunno if any boards within the 10-20K range offer any chips other than the usual Realtek ones. Maybe ignore this while getting the motherboard and buy a separate sound card later if you think the audio isn't up to par.

Back