Making Music

Just curious, anyone out there (or in here!) who've tried running the Ubuntu Studio edition of Linux operating system for music/media production? I mean, possible without using commercial/windows based software?

Yes, boss...tried few times and failed miserably.
The JACK/ ALSA thing drove me mad. Yes, some people are making good music with Linux. But they are purely electronic musicians.
Most people I know of in this industry uses some outboard hardware, possibly won't work with Linux ( some older ones don't even work with Windows, newest version of Mac OS)
Glad you brought up this topic. Apple used to care about musicians ( LPX is a pretty cheap DAW with very usable plugins, except the reverbs I have used it exclusively for TV commercials, mixed and mastered for many bands)
But Apple is also abandoning us. I haven't updated my main iMac for years ( in fear of breaking crucial templates, old projects, few outboard gears)
Windows is also not ideal due to the crappy audio drivers ( ASIO4ALL is the only option and it crashes at times if you need to change settings with the DAW open)
First question, what kind of music you guys produce? Any professionally trained audio engineer here?
I can provide a list of free DAWs with no restrictions, free sample libraries, free VST/VSTi ( and corresponding AAX/ AU for ProTools and Logic user)
Licence sharing is probably illegal openly ( not pirated stuff, but legal keys to few SW that I don't use anymore)
If someone needs Steven Slate Drums 4, please drop a PM ( will be able to send you only after 15th of this month)

Last edited:
I read about it, and as usual didn't understand anything...Linux is not for idiots.
Warren is an old friend and a really good enginner.
Watch this if you're recording vocals at home.
Tracktion is having a 40% discount across all synths, Waveform pro etc. Today's the last day.

Last edited:
Can anybody here play the drums for Don't fear the Reaper (BOC)? I was trying to program the drum track in Addictive Drums 2 and Ableton Drum rack, seems incredibly difficult...so complex ride and cymbal section!! I'm pretty good at programming drums, but this is incredibly hard. Can manage the kick and snare part, but layering with cymbals seems impossible!!
Say whatever you wanna say about Davie...he's freaking incredible...I'm playing bass for more than 20 years..won't be able to play any of those..NONE ( but can play all of them in a guitar)

Last edited:
I sort of stopped watching Davie after he gave in to the memes a bit too much and his channel became more of an entertainment one rather than a music one, but yep no denying that his skills are seriously bomb
Very true...too much of idiocy...but yes!! He can play his thing like any pro, if not better.

Can anybody here play the drums for Don't fear the Reaper (BOC)? I was trying to program the drum track in Addictive Drums 2 and Ableton Drum rack, seems incredibly difficult...so complex ride and cymbal section!! I'm pretty good at programming drums, but this is incredibly hard. Can manage the kick and snare part, but layering with cymbals seems impossible!!
Say whatever you wanna say about Davie...he's freaking incredible...I'm playing bass for more than 20 years..won't be able to play any of those..NONE ( but can play all of them in a guitar)
I myself watch his vieos and he makes everything look so eefortless and piece of cake, another one of my favourites is rob landes and gordo the drummer

something is terribly wrong with the recording....can you guess it even without listening to it? Never thought of this kind of idiots too exist!! From a band with with 2 records!! Ignore the cowbell track...I made that one to piss them off...
Okay, I will explain...anyone ever seen a kick drum or snare recorded as stereo? Or a bass for that matter? They were kind enough to send the DI and amped bass and guitar tracks tracks separately...but how am I supposed to mix a stereo kick and bass!! They want me to mix 6 tracks!!
This is the pain I deal with even with something I genuinely like....going to charge them 50EUR for each such stupid mistake I have to correct even before any actual work!! I can not even comprehend how did they set up the kick and snare mics!!
****!! Even toms are stereo!! Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    370.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Looks like I'm the only person still interested in making music!!
To all the lazy bums here, specially the singers, please suggest me a Ozzy / Sabbath song...I will arrange/ play the guitars/ bass etc. in a computer keyboard, program the drums...you will just have to sing... agreeable?
Now tell me which song? ( Except NIB and Paranoid, I struggle with NIB's rhythm guitar even with a proper guitar and Paranoid is too simple)
If anybody reading this, please help me with your Google skills..
Received a strange request from a television producer...to recreate Enigma's Sadeness (part 1 only) but can't sample from the original!!
Can manage the Gregorian chant part with my sample collection, but the parts sung by Cretu's ex wife ( in French) is extremely difficult to recreate without a real singer. And under present circumstances it's impossible ( only have 10 days to send the mock up)
So my only option is to use that female vocals track completely unaltered for the initial mock up, and if they are ok with the results, can hire a vocalist later while I'm back home.
Now, getting that vocal stem is VERY DIFFICULT...wasted 4 hours today with every piece of audio editors I have and it's impossible to extract the vocals ( tried every trick I know of...the song is so reverb heavy with the vocals, having massive phasing issues with other tracks)
Can anyone google it? I'm pretty sure it's available...but can't find it...but my Google skills are really poor.
Of course I will put your name in the credit section and share whatever percentage you want from what I will make from it.
Please drop a PM/ DM.
Google translated from Czech, sorry for the errors.

Last edited:
Lazy people!!
If you're not trying to make music just because you don't know any music theory...get over it. Anyone can make music without messing up the chords, scale, perfect melody and bass line.
This will get you started. Its very easy.
Next level: playing chords at any scale, trust me, it's also very easy. I'm actually a bass player. Never took fancy piano lessons. Will show you the number trick for ALL major and minor chords in any scale within 10 minutes. All you have to do is to count numbers. You will be able to play any chord from any genre.

Good sir, I am trying to compose a piece based on what knowledge I have, and using Cakewalk (which you recommended me). I have to say that this is taking way longer than I expected, but do expect a post by the end of this week :grimacing:. Thank you

Finally found a singer to do that single french line in a completely non spiritual manner. Since it's my wife, didn't want to use any other description. And she nailed it in second attempt including the weird breathing sound we all are familiar with...so happy..it was bothering me a lot.
This is the original song.

Last edited:
Started with ProTools like everyone. Moved to LPX ( still love Logic, but don't work in Macs only anymore)
Now create in Ableton, mix in Studio One/ Samplitude or Logic.
Mixing in Ableton is hard for me.

Now this is the only 10 minutes video you need to watch to play in any scale or any chords ( both major and minor)
I'm not a keyboard player but can play pretty much anything ( with some time)
Took me less than a week that most conventional teacher takes months.
Learn this numbering system once, you can play anything in 15 days. Guranteed!!
For years, thought I'm the genius to discover it. But this guy made a video years ago!!
Trust me, this thing works with guitars too but with some adjustments.
So stop wasting money on piano beginner lessons, do it yourself in minutes ( this is the difference between a musician and a music teacher)
If interested will provide more tricks with chord progression, melody lines with ZERO knowledge of music theory.
I'm sure some wiseass will tell me to stop teaching music as it's a tech forum, without even bothering to see the video.
Using Cakewalk by Bandlab as per @quaratineinthesejeans suggestions and found it to be the easiest for a beginner so far. Tried using FL studio and Ableton in the past but Cakewalk is much easier to just get started with.
Boss, Cakewalk was previously known as Sonar, a pretty expensive (350 EUR) DAW right up there with ProTools, DP, Logic etc.
We are lucky that it's free now. It's a wonderful DAW with great plugins ( the pro channels really helps in mixing very quickly), the piano roll is awesome ( almost FL like) it has many hidden plugins and tricks, it's like any other commercial DAW. Best part, you can save the entire project in a formal that ProTools can open. How cool is that? Neither Ableton, nor FL can do that.
You will get instant respect from engineers if you know Sonar ( Cakewalk)

Last edited:
No bullshit.. straight up truth. He literally faught his way up.
I've been stuck in the hobby/ semi pro level for 2 decades and chance of making it pro is absolutely ZERO now.
My wife's situation is even worse. She's a violin player and made it to chair 2/1...then life happened, she got busy juggling the kid and work, once the kid was 18 months old, she tried to get back, but her place was taken long back. She didn't have it in her to start all over again.
She still plays beautifully, but time waits for no one, didn't wait for her either ( orchestral music is a different world altogether, everyone is extremely competitive, dedicated and supremely skilled)
I have no doubts in Len's skill. But she never had the required competitive attitude.
Me on the other hand is extremely competitive. But I lack real skills. And possibly too scared to go full time with music ( come from a lower middle class family, putting food on the table has always been the first priority)
I am not scared of risks in my present career ( as the career itself is a safety net)
If I die in Africa during a project, WHO will take care of the family, but if I go completely broke after going into music full time, return to my present situation ( which is nothing great to talk about) will be very difficult... typical middle class mentality..
But that's so deep rooted since childhood, I can't come out of it.
Some can, that's the difference between a successful and average person.

Last edited:
Back