Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi win Nobel Peace

IMO this nobel is as hypocritical as the one given to Amartya Sen. (Didnt he first propound a theory, then went back on it, and then was given a nobel for the work he went back on?)

Same is the case with this one. When she was an activist and braving threats, then nothing. Now when she has abandoned the cause and is living comfortably in the UK.

"Malala now lives in Birmingham with her family and started at Edgbaston high school for girls in March 2013. She is determined to keep in touch with her Pashtun culture, believing that it teaches patience, peace and religious tolerance."

I would like to draw another more controversial analogy. Subash C. Bose. You know why he is not that well praised? (apart from the fact that he was not a congressman) The fact is that he did not take on the British might from within. He chose to run away. Same is with Dalai Lama. Had these two chosen to stay in their country. Stay defiant. Then things would have been different.
Are you serious about what you said regarding S.C.Bose?
He did not "run away". He went overseas to form alliances with foreign countries who could supply arms, ammunition, manpower and help fight for our independence. In case you did not notice, there was no Internet at that time and he could not have had formed alliances over Facebook, Skype, Whatsapp, phone calls etc!!!

He had fought for quite some time and had understood that homemade bombs and bad quality guns will not be enough to gain independence. In case you do not remember, INA had managed to capture a part of Arunachal Pradesh from the British. No other person fighting for our independence can claim to have provided independence to a part of our country.

P.S - I am glad that the Japanese were unable to help us in our freedom struggle and surrendered. Wherever the Japanese went, they looted the country and treated the indigenous people barbarically. S.C.Bose was a visionary but he always went to the wrong person for assistance.

N.B - You seem to be under the impression that Malala is only studying nowadays. FYI she is meeting world leaders and motivating them to do something about women's education. She has been to the UN and has already met Obama and the Queen. If she can get the world leaders to implement proper legistlation in their respective countries, it would be a far more powerful tool rather than fighting single handedly with the terrorists.

Malala getting Nobel is disrespect to that concept itself. She got into accidental fame. If anyone deserved an award, it is her father who is a good personality who made this happen.

"In late 2008, when Aamer Ahmed Khan of the BBC Urdu website and his colleagues had discussed a novel way of covering the Taliban's growing influence in Swat. Why not find a schoolgirl to blog anonymously about her life there? Their correspondent in Peshwar, Abdul Hai Kakar, had been in touch with a local school teacher, Ziauddin Yousafzai, but couldn’t find any students willing to do it. It was too dangerous, their families said. Finally, Yousafzai suggested his own daughter, 11-year-old Malala"

11 year old Malala didn't make any intelligent choice to get shot at and win a Nobel prize.

Compare Malala at this age to thousands of leaders and activists (compare her with Kailash Satyarthi) who might have struggled till their sunset years or death for rights of others. I will even root for Anna Hazare, but not for Malala.

If giving Nobel Prize is a PR business, let us give to so many celebrities who donated millions to their respective causes.

Last edited:
I would like to draw another more controversial analogy. Subash C. Bose. You know why he is not that well praised? (apart from the fact that he was not a congressman) The fact is that he did not take on the British might from within. He chose to run away. Had these two chosen to stay in their country. Stay defiant. Then things would have been different.

Are you serious? or are you just a dimwit who spews nonsense?
I am not even gonna rebut your "point", because it is no point.
Everyone knows who Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was and I am not going to insult the intelligence of everyone else here by repeating what he did for us.

Get educated, learn the facts before blithering nonsense.[DOUBLEPOST=1413016362][/DOUBLEPOST]
But he joined forces with Hitler. Assuming the time was in 1942-43, I am pretty sure Bose knew about concentration camps.
Its easy to nitpick and look down in retrospect while seated on a warm padded chair,
but what alternative did he have?
You can't go on choosing your friends or allies when at war. You take whatever you get and do whatever you have to do, end of story.

Last edited:
Why the Nobel Peace Prize isn’t very different from Miss Universe[DOUBLEPOST=1413015993][/DOUBLEPOST]
But he joined forces with Hitler. Assuming the time was in 1942-43, I am pretty sure Bose knew about concentration camps.
Yes. He had a habit of seeking help from the wrong persons/countries.
There must have been reasons to do what he did. It is very easy to say now that he approached the wrong people. But in his time maybe it was his only option. I am not that well versed in history and hence I do not know why he went to Hitler.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

^I don't agree with that view, aligning with worse forces to win a war.
Maybe his vision was different. Maybe he did not believe everything that was written about Germany. In those days, radio and newspapers were the only form of news. These two things could very easily be manipulated since these were mostly controlled by the British. And the independant newspapers were small national(mostly regional) papers which would not have had a correspondent in every part of undivided India let alone in Germany.

discussing about Bose's wrong doings is pointless, as indian govt hasn't declassified his files. there are only conspiracy theories about his death/disappearance and his grand plan. there's no authority to substantiate the facts on his life, except our own AMG. :dead:

IMO this nobel is as hypocritical as the one given to Amartya Sen. (Didnt he first propound a theory, then went back on it, and then was given a nobel for the work he went back on?)

Same is the case with this one. When she was an activist and braving threats, then nothing. Now when she has abandoned the cause and is living comfortably in the UK.

"Malala now lives in Birmingham with her family and started at Edgbaston high school for girls in March 2013. She is determined to keep in touch with her Pashtun culture, believing that it teaches patience, peace and religious tolerance."

I would like to draw another more controversial analogy. Subash C. Bose. You know why he is not that well praised? (apart from the fact that he was not a congressman) The fact is that he did not take on the British might from within. He chose to run away. Same is with Dalai Lama. Had these two chosen to stay in their country. Stay defiant. Then things would have been different.

I am not sure about Mr. Sen and the reasons behind in prize. But regarding Malala: I really do not think she has abandoned the "cause". She is still working for women's rights and the liberation of education and/or awareness about these subjects. I really doubt she is chilling out at home..! What you mean when she was braving threats and doing nothing.? She was giving interviews to enlighten the world about the situation and also blogging written content. It is due to this face that extreme action was taken on her. She refused to expedite the instructions of the Taliban and continued to go to school..! Is that actually "nothing"..? If Dalai Lama (DL) had remained back in Tibet he would be a political prisoner till now or not around as a live entity. You think the Chinese would have kept him around for tea parties and discussions...? If ones life is at stake or else matters get lower priority. Is that non common sense, AMG...?[DOUBLEPOST=1413021087][/DOUBLEPOST]//MOD:
OT deleted, 10 posts. Also please refrain from calling out names and/or slander.

Last edited:
Maybe his vision was different. Maybe he did not believe everything that was written about Germany. In those days, radio and newspapers were the only form of news. These two things could very easily be manipulated since these were mostly controlled by the British. And the independant newspapers were small national(mostly regional) papers which would not have had a correspondent in every part of undivided India let alone in Germany.
Read this: http://www.frontline.in/static/html/fl2912/stories/20120629291208100.htm ;-)

@AMG - LOL please go stand up to the Taliban and then tell us that Malala was a stupid choice. Your armchair opinion doesn't count.

LOL, joke is on you, she is studying in a segregated girls only school in UK after the episode. Lately, she even voiced her opinion against USA drone strikes (which are obviously against Taliban). And she was not all the decision maker to follow her current activism path. She was an 11 year old child when her father, an eminent personality, decided to publish a blog with support from BBC with her as subject and a pseudo id. BBC was looking for people to uplift women and such activism which her father opted to. Go and read wikipedia at least.

Lately few Nobel prizes for peace are just PR jobs without any results (negative?). Obama's 'war to nowhere' still going on even though he received Nobel for Peace, Simon Peres of Israel and Yassar Arafat of Palestine shared one which was joke of the century.

Last edited:
LOL, joke is on you, she is studying in a segregated girls only school in UK after the episode. Lately, she even voiced her opinion against USA drone strikes (which are obviously against Taliban). And she was not all the decision maker to follow her current activism path. She was an 11 year old child when her father, an eminent personality, decided to publish a blog with support from BBC with her as subject and a pseudo id. BBC was looking for people to uplift women and such activism which her father opted to. Go and read wikipedia at least.

Lately few Nobel prizes for peace are just PR jobs without any results (negative?). Obama's 'war to nowhere' still going on even though he received Nobel for Peace, Simon Peres of Israel and Yassar Arafat of Palestine shared one which was joke of the century.
Blah. Read your post and hear how you sound. I almost thought you were a contender for the Nobel prize, so bitter.

Are you serious? or are you just a dimwit who spews nonsense?
I am not even gonna rebut your "point", because it is no point.
Everyone knows who Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was and I am not going to insult the intelligence of everyone else here by repeating what he did for us.

Get educated, learn the facts before blithering nonsense.[DOUBLEPOST=1413016362][/DOUBLEPOST]
Its easy to nitpick and look down in retrospect while seated on a warm padded chair,
but what alternative did he have?
You can't go on choosing your friends or allies when at war. You take whatever you get and do whatever you have to do, end of story.

What is Bose's contribution to the freedom? 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001%

While Gandhi and others were busy fasting and getting lathi charged and marching and defying the British laws, where was Bose?
He was abroad trying to find allies for god knows what.
What was his plan? To attack India. Who would have died? Indian soldiers. Profit? None.

Alternative? Join gandhi.

Joining the war is one thing. War-mongering totally another.

Do you really think drone strikes are very effective?

Do you watch Homeland? See the episode S04E01/S04E02. It shows what can go massively wrong in a drone strike/blind bombing. Due to the drone strikes, hundreds of civilians and children have lost their lives. They were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Compare this to how they took bin Laden out. They put a team on the ground and took him out manually. If they had bombed his house, 4-5 children could easily have died.

Those who are opposed to drone strikes are worried about the civilian casualties.

LOL, joke is on you, she is studying in a segregated girls only school in UK after the episode.
I did not understand what you meant by this. What exactly is wrong if she studies in a Girl's only school?

What is Bose's contribution to the freedom? 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001%

While Gandhi and others were busy fasting and getting lathi charged and marching and defying the British laws, where was Bose?
What was his plan? To attack India. Who would have died? Indian soldiers. Profit? None.

How do you determine the contribution of someone? So if he captured a part of India via the INA, it does not count?
Why? Because he was unable to capture the whole of India?

What about the hope that he had given to millions of people that help is about to arrive?
In 200 years of British rule, most people had given up hope of ever being liberated.

And what about Indian soldiers loosing their lives? It was the British army. The higher ups were British people and only the lower most rungs had Indians. If they choose to fight against their countrymen, whose fault is it?

I think you are a Troll who is deliberately trying to derail the thread by making flagrant accusations and making points that defy all logic.
You are just trying to have all the attention to yourself negative or otherwise,
and you obviously don't have anything really worthwhile to add to the original discussion.

Coming to point,
yes even I didn't think Malala deserved a Nobel for Peace at such an young age,
yes she does have possibilities but has she done something worth getting a Nobel?
Nobel Prize is all about what you've done rather than what you're capable or supposed to do in future.

But I realized that it is not as Black and White as that.
She rallied for her right to education from an age when most of us were still undecided on a flavour of Ice Cream,
She stood up to the Taliban at an age when we would still check under our beds.
She survived a bullet in her brain and came back undiminished.

She did nothing special right, but she gave everyone hope
hope that you can stand tall against any evil.
regardless of your age, sex, nationality, knowledge, power.

That hope she generated, got her the recognition.
To say she doesn't deserve to win as she herself has not done anything personally is like trying to make worth of a man by his meat.
and hope is very hard to come by nowadays :)

How hard it is for you guys to put an argument without making personal attacks? why do you guys call someone troll, but not provide your argument clearly? from what I have seen, people retort to such tactics when they don't have any strong argument.

And if you think someone is troll, don't reply. Don't feed the troll.

Last edited:
Back