mapping your ride with GPS from your phone

bubul

Disciple
Hi to all,
I started using Sportypal couple of days ago, it seems to be very interasting application, just need to have GPS on the phone. It works on every type of phone that is GPS enabled. Very organized web page. Easy to upload the information and it keeps track of your location, distance covered, speed etc and even provides real time graphs of speed vs distance/time. Simply amaizing and it's free.

I'm using it on HTC Dream, it rocks,
very nice design of the application and for accuracy, for a mobile phone application I think the accuracy it's pretty good

I bought Map My India for my pocketpc & I dont know why I am not able to use it. Its not giving me accurate results. if there is anyone using it & finding it well then just let me know how to use it well. :)

There is the opportunity now to share the workouts or embed the maps directly from their website.
embed3.png

Sure this needs data connectivity on the way, right?

I am cheapo guy when it comes to paying high for internet on the move.. and it must take a lot of data transfer.

I saw Nokia sports tracker, but never tried this option since I had the feeling that it will empty my phone balance with the data transfer:cool2:

Maps are preloaded on the memory card in most cases, esp. when you buy the GPS Software. No need of internet connection.

Almost all softwares can log the GPS Signal data (NMEA Logs), and many other softwares for the PC can read these logs and plot your journey, if required even on Google Maps as a background.

If your Phone does not have GPS built-in, you can get cheap Bluetooth GPS dongles that can provide this functionality.

mathew_p_a said:
Sure this needs data connectivity on the way, right?

I am cheapo guy when it comes to paying high for internet on the move.. and it must take a lot of data transfer.

I saw Nokia sports tracker, but never tried this option since I had the feeling that it will empty my phone balance with the data transfer:cool2:

Well, actually here everything is free. The application can be downloaded first to your pc then to your phone. And after that you don't need any connection except if you want to upload the workout to their web service where you can analyze your run, cycling or whatever. But this can be done with Wi-Fi, just find some hot spot :D. So again everything is for free.

thanks for the info buddy...I downloaded the BlackBerry version for my Bold, but when I try to open the file from my phone i get a msg saying that the file is of unknown format...nyone has any clue about it?

I don't know what can be the problem, but try sending them an e-mail,
Once I also had a problem with uploading the file, i wrote them, and they wrote me a solution in 3 hours.

harish_21_10 said:
thanks for the info buddy...I downloaded the BlackBerry version for my Bold, but when I try to open the file from my phone i get a msg saying that the file is of unknown format...nyone has any clue about it?
Did you manage to run the application?

mathew_p_a said:
Same question from me also.

I could not find a build for nokia 5800

I read about the 5800 probelem here, maybe it can help:

(SportyPal Blog)

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

We received several inquiries from Nokia 5800 users who have been unable to get a GPS signal. The 5800 not being one of the devices officially supported by SportyPal, we replied that we don’t know if and when we’ll have a Nokia 5800-compatible version ready, and that we’d notify them if we did.

However, Matt, one of the users that tried using the Java version of SportyPal with his 5800, didn’t give up when we told him that it probably wouldn’t work, and managed to get it working. We checked the workout that he uploaded, and sure enough, he uploaded from a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, and we also found another user that had been using SportyPal with the same device.

Here’s what Matt had to say when we asked him how he succeeded in getting a signal:

I just ran the phone GPS positioning tool first, cancelled that, turned phone off/on and tried Sportypal again and it connected no problems.

And here’s what David, another Nokia 5800 user, says:

I found that I needed to use the setting ‘Assisted GPS’ rather than ‘Integrated GPS’ in the Nokia 5800 settings.

The screen resolution is a bit off, making some parts unreadable and strange-looking, but you can record and upload workouts.

Used to do it all the time on my blackberry, forgot the name of the app. It used to export to Google Earth. Was pretty cool actually.

I just downloaded new update for this 1.0.9, it has something new, shows the pace while running on the main screen. I usually go cycling but for the runners this is probably the most needed info.

Back